bad day for me

Big John

yesterday i went to work as i always do. i should mention that for the past 11 years i have worked in the coal mining industry. we were gathered in our safety meeting room and told that they had to cut production because the price of coal had fallen below what it cost to mine it. so lay off slips were in abundance and i got mine and i don't know what i will do. when the market picks back up i will be called back but i don't know how long that will be. the EPA with all their regulations want to eliminate coal mining altogether and they don't care how many people loose there jobs. such a sad day.

Yikes, keep your chin up and stay positive. I felt the same way about a year ago, and now when I look back, me being terminated was like being given a lifeboat off of the Titanic.

Hang in there man, you could always suppliment your income by producing more SS airdam brackets ;)

Sorry to hear about the situation though man!

-N8

Yikes, keep your chin up and stay positive. I felt the same way about a year ago, and now when I look back, me being terminated was like being given a lifeboat off of the Titanic.

Hang in there man, you could always suppliment your income by producing more SS airdam brackets ;)

Sorry to hear about the situation though man!

-N8

I'm here about the airdam brackets..

John im so sorry too hear this , will this affect you comming to pf? and if you do still come i hope it wont ruin your trip ... if you need to talk im here buddy

i will be at pf as usual tom we will talk then and as far as the air dam brackets go i picked them up from the water jet today fasteners will be here monday and should have some ready to ship next week

That does indeed suck. What I don't understand (because I guess I'm totally out of the loop) is how coal, which is being touted as the best energy source America has is being cut back. Is it because other regions can produce more, cheaper?

Just read an atricle on how much the demand has dropped. Sorry to hear that John. Natural gas from fracking seems to be driving demand for coal down.. It will all change-- always does.

Dad

Real sorry to hear John! Strip or deep mining? What was your position? Seems strange, musta been alot of people w/ long tenure? In my prayers Big Guy!

election daY is coming lets get rid of this guy... its not all his fault, but he is not doing enought to help all the people out of work....he said last week the privite sector is doing good ....what dont you get out!!!!!!!! ... been out of work 11 months...sorry to here about your job ..., but try to work on your car to keep your mind from going nuts ..... good luck hope its not to long till you get your job back !!!!!!!!!

Layoffs aren't fun, been through a few of em. You're a smart guy, are you considering changing fields or re-training to do something else? That's what I did after my last layoff and haven't regretted it once.

Thats sucks to hear man, keep your head up like others have said. And this is part of the MAN in charge now they are on this roll to have everyone use solar or wind. The EPA is on a crack down and could careless about our workers. Can't wait til this next election.

John, I've been in your shoes, especially these last few years. I've spent about as much time off as I have working...and yes, it bites. I don't know your age, your qualifications, or your passions, but I'm of the situation I probably can't/won't find anything else that'll give me a living wage. The economic downturn of 08 hit the trades hard. About a 1/3 of the guys in the local here are still sitting at any given time. It has and is getting better, and if unemployment will pay the bills for a while, and you're certain you'll be going back to work in a reasonable amount of time, I'd be inclined to wait it out for a while. I'd also be weighing my other possible employment options if you've got them, but I wouldn't jump to hastily.

The EPA has been screwing with everything lately. They've reduced the allowable VOC content of so many paint products that the manufacturers have had to either eliminate products or reconfigure the mixes to the point they don't cover well. Oil based paints, stains, and poly's are being phased out, leaving mediocre waterborne products to try to take their places. Best we (I) can do at this point is to ride it out and hope it things hold on at least long enough to get me time in before I retire. Hang in there. Best of luck to you.

I burn coal for heat in the winter so I like that the price has fallen. In the last 2 years it's been rediculous for a ton of anthracite and it's been even harder to find someone in my area (within 40-50 miles even) to buy from. Last year was the worst with it at $240 a ton. I remember paying 100 a ton not long ago.

That being said sorry to hear that. Don't know what you do or what your experience are but check into fracking. I know there are haters on it but it's looking to be the next big thing. They sunk some 600 wells around me alone. You might have the experience needed to land a job in that area though.

Dont know what you did at the mine there, but here are two openings at the Rosemont Copper Mine in Southern Az. We hang out in Tombstone more often then! ;)

Construction Manager Full Time Other Tucson, AZ July 24, 2012 EPCM Project Manager Full Time Projects Tucson, AZ July 24, 2012

http://rosemontcopper.iapplicants.com/searchjobs.php