2 of 2. My Pride and Joy, My 3000GT-VR4.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Style do you like? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Which route do you like more?

1. Semi Race car, Big Wide Sticky Tires, Low, and Great suspension. Screw it, you got a truck. One race car, and one slightly less, but much faster race car. (6 votes [54.55%])

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

2. Daily Drive-able, but backup weekend track car. Modified Stock Suspension and Stock Wheels! (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:15 AM

This is my Baby, This is my Dream car. No matter what else I have in my garage, This will always take priority, and will Always see the most miles....I've wanted a VR4 since I was 10 years old. It's not one of those dream cars I have because its what I can afford. I often tell people that when I am retired, I will have 3 cars that are in the main portion of my garage, and not mixed with the rest of my collection. A Ferrari F50, Jaguar XJ220, and parked between them will be My or A VR4...Hopefully the one I am posting about right now.

So long story short, I had a FWD Dodge Stealth before this car that I had converted to twin turbo, and enjoyed for few years - Unfortunately on one of my extra spirited drives, I got a little cocky and the car got the best of me, and collided with a tree - A huge learning experience for me on driving, by the way.

Well this car had actually appeared to me a few weeks before hand, just a shell - a local guy had it, and was trying to avoid crushing it. I had been complaining about wanting a 3000GT, and not a stealth for about 2 years, as that is where my heart lies. Yes they are the exact same car, and yes I can easily convert a Stealth to the 3000GT, but its just not the same. All of my other 3/S Were 3000GT's prior to the Stealth. I wanted it badly but didn't have the space or excuse to buy it and restore it...

Well after crashing the stealth I had a excuse, and I setup a time to come see the car while I was still in the tow truck towing my freshly wrecked stealth to storage..

in about a week or two I showed up with a trailer and wenched the 3000GT VR-4 from the barn in which it had been sitting for several several years.... Not going to lie, it was in rough shape.

Few reasons why I picked this piece of crap over one of the plentiful clean, low mile ones

1: The Color. Sandstone Gray is very rare - running the VIN it is 1 of 11 Exactly Identical cars.. I believe only a few hundred were made in this color in general covering all sub models, options, combinations, etc.
2: Big Glass sunroof. I just freaking love it, It's removeable which gives the car a nice Targa-Top sensation in the summer. There is even a nifty shelf in the back hatch to place the glass.
3: I had been itching to do a restoration. The Idea of bringing a car back from the dead is one of my favorite things..

This car is all over the place with what I want to do with it. I originally wanted homebuilt supercar/track car that was still daily worthy even though its not my daily...but then I bougt my other 3000GT as my purpose built race car...so I returned to to more stockish like shape...really just wheels and suspension was all i changed...

Now I am at a fork in the road and can't decide where to go with it next. Should I keep the clean stockness, or should I revert it back to semi race car?

Posted Image

home

[img]https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11755870_1099526453408965_4848605935266736907_n.jpg?oh=020c8cc373e7df4814cee8f49c147329&oe=589C8A0A[img][img]https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11745887_1099526490075628_4347879191706629284_n.jpg?oh=b63cd1f53be79b1928f5cbb213b41145&oe=58CB987E[/img]

Posted Image

Believe it or not, this was the first thing I did - Strip the NightShade away..

Posted Image

Engine Bay needs TLC

Posted Image

Stripped interior, Cleaned, Sealed, etc

Posted Image

-_-

Posted Image

All Trash

Posted Image

Overhauled Shifter assy with Seattle Ball Bearing Loaded Short Throw.

Posted Image

Interior going back together.

Posted Image

Seats donated from the Stealth

Posted Image

Posted Image

Strip and Clean

Posted Image

I built a -6 Tank To Rail Fuel System for the Stealth years ago - It transferred right on over to the VR4

Posted Image

LCD-Boost Controller + Datalogger displat installed

Posted Image

Unfinished mounting job of the LC2 Wideband and LCDBC Console.

Posted Image

Painted

Posted Image

Re-assembly. Braided lines are for ABS Delete

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Blackmount, 03 November 2016 - 12:23 AM.

#2 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

17x10.5 +27mm All around

Posted Image

New, Lightweight, aluminum flywheel.

Posted Image

Moved out of garage under its own power...Monster truck anyone? lol

Posted Image

Drove for a few weeks - Ran awesome! Lowered a few inches on new struts and lowering springs

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I ran into some issues with the transmission I had bought for the car originally, so picked up a second one to replace it with, also a second transfer case, so I added a brace, and resealed the case.

Posted Image

Upgrading to ACT Disc "Stage 1" Stock clutch is good for 400ish, and this is just slightly better.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Megan Coilovers, was trying to avoid these, but someone was selling them in almost brand new condition for $300 shipped...So I figured what the hell...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cleaning headliner, had already cleaned the sunroof cover, so you can see the difference and how dirty it is

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New tires baby

Posted Image

Edited by Blackmount, 03 November 2016 - 12:18 AM.

#3 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:17 AM

Posted Image

Adjustible control arms, and AWS Delete Kit

Posted Image

Things that might not be obvious. New Addco Rear Sway bar, Sway bar end links, Braided Brake Lines, Poly bushings

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fixing muffler

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dyno Time, 283AWHP on a Mustang Dyno at only 12 PSI, Stock Tune and injectors, That's about 375Crankhp due to the substainial drivetrain loss these cars have. No bad when you consider that the engine has close to 250,000 miles on it...

Very expensive Exhaust Upgrade

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 Year anniversary of wrecking my Stealth and buying this VR4, So I went camping.

Posted Image

Temporarily went back to stock wheels, electronic dampening struts, and lowering springs

Posted Image

255/40-17

Posted Image

My front bumper has been awful since day one, so I bought a good used one and painted it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also did one of the headlight covers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Blackmount, 03 November 2016 - 07:36 AM.

#4 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:29 AM

Again another awesome build so far! Would love to see them in person some day.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#5 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:06 AM

When you get a chance, can we see some pics of your Ferrari?
Run's with scizzor's

#6 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:30 AM

View Postspeedyquest, on 03 November 2016 - 12:29 AM, said:

Again another awesome build so far! Would love to see them in person some day.

Thanks, and hey, got any Starion/Conquest parts? I'll bring one of em up to get em. Haha.

Plenty of meets and stuff always going on in and around Madison.

View PostBradrock, on 03 November 2016 - 01:06 AM, said:

When you get a chance, can we see some pics of your Ferrari?

I don't have a Ferrari, yet, Haha - Hopefully I will have 360 in a few years, they keep bouncing around in price though so Who knows

I realized the Dyno picture didn't take, which is a shame because its like one of my favorite pictures of this car

Posted Image

#7 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:02 AM

I've always got stuff laying around. I will be selling quite a few parts from my current setup soon so keep an eye out. As far as the meets in Madison if I knew about them I'd gladly come experience them, I'm just not aware of them. Fill me in!

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#8 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

Engine, Intercooler and piping, etc, etc. just lemme know what you have...

There is weekly Cars and Coffee in Fitchburg on Sundays, we meet year round, but usually only a handful of people in the winter. Everything is welcome.

During the summer there is Quaker Steak and Lube in Madison. Thursday nights and misc meets. You get everything from 69 Camaros to Ferrari F40's. I've got a friend with a Modified White Ford GT, and McLaren MP4-12C that often comes, Buddy with a NSX, Several Porsches, etc... Its mostly Muscle cars usually though. They also hold a Ferrari Club meet here.

Lake Mills Cars and Coffee is the 1st Sunday of every month from March to October. Lots of high end stuff, Mostly Porsches, even had a new 918 show up one Sunday. Madison Cars and Coffee Usually goes here as a group.

There is also the East Wash group as always - It's mostly kids, and beat up Honda's (We all started somewhere right?) Sometimes fun to go to.

Theyseem to meet whenever from Thursday to Sunday night.

We also have misc drives. 2 Seater Club, Super Car Drives, etc. Definitely not for everyone,

There's always car shows and stuff going on too.

Concourse D' Elegance In July at Road America is amazing fun. Hundreds of Old Race cars, Supercars, etc. Bar stands on every corner. etc.

They Drive all the vintage race cars from Road America into downtown Elkhart Lake. It's everything from like Ford GT's to IMSA Mustangs, Old Formula 1, 1000, 5000, cars, etc. Old Lemans Racecars. etc.

Edited by Blackmount, 03 November 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#9 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

Geezus ok well I'll definitely have to spend some time down that way this coming "car season". My car will be getting tore apart very very soon for its yearly re-imagining lol. Looks like I'll have to step up my game a bit as well if I plan on showing up to meets etc with those kind of cars. It will be good motivation :)

Posted Image

#10 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:24 AM

Haha, You'd be ok Would be just cool to see a StarQuest show up in general.

My Conquest won't be anything special, just stock power, and upgraded stock brakes with sticky tires.... I like to mod as I go, and drive the car regularly as I build it.

#11 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,987 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:51 AM

View PostBlackmount, on 04 November 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

I like to mod as I go, and drive the car regularly as I build it.

I'd like to think I'm that way too but... if I'm being honest I'm not lol.

Posted Image

#12 cheesey

cheesey

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

Nice car! Always wanted a 3000gt as well but I have to build a bigger garage first. Did a nice job on that front bumper too.

#13 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:14 PM

Thanks man, Yeah I have 2 cars at home, and 2 cars in storage units haha. I need a bigger garage as well.

#14 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,755 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:12 PM

Very nice car man! That Sandstone Grey color looks great. What year is it?
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#15 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:19 PM

It is a 92. :)

#16 devilsfutbol17

devilsfutbol17

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 09:46 PM

Are you going back to the dyno with the new manifolds?
796/2000 Summit White Galant VR-4
1994 Pear White 3000GT VR-4
1997 Eclipse Spyder GST (Wife's car)
1988 Fiji Blue Conquest TSi SHP

#17 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:35 PM

That was the original plan. Put the manifolds on and go right back to the dyno, but it never happened, and now the results would not be credible since I've messed with so much other stuff.

#18 Blackmount

Blackmount

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

For the sake of information, and the versatility of a 10:1 TT car

I finally got around to installing my 16T's on my VR4. I ran into problem after problem, as the car just insisted on fighting me taking everything apart, then the downpipe reallly fought me putting it back on, so I ended up chopping it up and building half a new downpipe from scratch. I dropped the rear manifold off at my machinist so he could remove a broken stud. He also machined the flanges flat. I also did some basic maintenance while I was in there. All new intake gaskets, replaced a few hoses, new Knock Sensor, New Spark plugs, etc. All new Turbo gaskets were used as well.

.045 off the Head Flange
.020 off the Turbo Flange

Turned the boost controller back just a hair and hopped in the car and went.

Holy crap did it make a huge difference. The Torque is just insane, 1st gear comes in as a bit of a snap... It's been raining here the last few days, and it breaks all 4 tires loose almost everytime. It's pretty incredible considering I am still limiting myself with the stock injectors.

I need to get some logs and videos but on 11.5 PSI, and holds that steadily from 3,000 RPMS to 7,000RPM... Pump 93 Octane with 10-15% Ethonal, I am only peaking at 108% Injector Duty Cycle running the car all the way up to revlimiter. I have yet to see a single count of knock come my way. Base Timing advance still set on 7 Degrees. The one breif moment of dry we had I took the car on a Run from a stop in 1st all the way to redline in 4th without issue.

Based on what reputable members here have said, IDC's on MMCD based loggers are generally 10-20% higher then reality... but take that with a grain of salt.

The next step is to get Chrome ECU, and I am thinking High Impedance ID injectors per DG's advice. 725-1000+CC injectors, that way I (Hopefully) will only have to buy injectors once. (The endgoal for this car is a DR750 500-600hp on Pump gas, Daily Driver, With all the creature comforts, including A/C and Heated Seats)

Mods/Specifications.
Stock 10:1 TT
1 Step Colder NGK Copper plugs Gapped at .030"
NA FPR
360 cc Injectors
Stock ECU
3SX TD04 SS Manifolds
3SX Rear Precat delete pipe
3" Downpipe
No Cats
Stock Active Exhaust Catback
Stock Intercoolers
Stock Airbox, K&N Drop in
Stock Y-Pipe
Inverted Stock BOV
Black Stealth LCDBC
DW200 Fuel Pump
-6 Tank to Rail, Fuel Lab Filter

Car made 283AWHP (Mustang Dyno) On stock Manifolds and 12 PSI on 9B's last summer. I'd like to get it on the Dyno again, I am thinking it is around the 320whp now, but the Torque is what is really impressive.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users