• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Interests:Wrenching,Fishing,Bicycling, and collecting old school vinyl!!
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:00 PM

Can I get some input on what others set these at for the electric fan to kick on and off?  I've read it here before but I can not find it anymore, so any help would be much appreciated!
88 conquest, .30 over block,Bs eliminated, M28 head ,17c turbo,Ottowerks shifter bushing, Lower Shores Braided lines and TB parts, Boostinmini TPS conversion kit,Optional Methanol Kit "when hooked up",Custom 2.5 Intercooler Piping,3 inch Downpipe, Gasket Ported Intake and Exhaust Manifold, Manual steering conversion,ACT HD clutch, Ebay knock off GReedy BOV,put car on a diet "lost between 590-620 lbs", Super AFC, AEM wideband, Glowshift Boost,Fuel Pressure, and Coolant Temp gauges, ARP Head and Rod bolts/Studs, Walbro 255.... In the process of adding more !

#2 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,313 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:49 AM

per the manual at starquestgarage.com section 7 cooling page 7-4

file:///C:/Users/vipsupport/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/ZR20KMCB/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_07_-_cooling.pdf

on at about 190 off at about 180 primary fan

on at about 216 off at about 199 Secondary fan

sensors vary a little

I have 2 primary sensors in my car so both turn on at about 190 to 195 range

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#3 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:05 AM

That's the range I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. I may just get the non adjustable fan controller that kicks on and off at those temps.
Many thanks for that fast response
88 conquest, .30 over block,Bs eliminated, M28 head ,17c turbo,Ottowerks shifter bushing, Lower Shores Braided lines and TB parts, Boostinmini TPS conversion kit,Optional Methanol Kit "when hooked up",Custom 2.5 Intercooler Piping,3 inch Downpipe, Gasket Ported Intake and Exhaust Manifold, Manual steering conversion,ACT HD clutch, Ebay knock off GReedy BOV,put car on a diet "lost between 590-620 lbs", Super AFC, AEM wideband, Glowshift Boost,Fuel Pressure, and Coolant Temp gauges, ARP Head and Rod bolts/Studs, Walbro 255.... In the process of adding more !

#4 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:44 AM

View Post81zfan, on 21 March 2019 - 07:05 AM, said:

That's the range I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. I may just get the non adjustable fan controller that kicks on and off at those temps.
Many thanks for that fast response

If you are using the advance auto parts one with the temp probe put the probe in your upper radiator hose at the thermostat neck. Sticking it in or against the fins doesn't get proper temp readings.

#5 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

It's built like the Hayden kit you're talking about. I've seen them ran in the hose like that but I've often wondered if the hose will seal right and not leak once pressure has been built up.

#6 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:56 PM

Does anyone know off the top of their head what size threads the A/C switch is in the middle directly under the thermostat neck?

#7 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:09 PM

View Post81zfan, on 21 March 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

It's built like the Hayden kit you're talking about. I've seen them ran in the hose like that but I've often wondered if the hose will seal right and not leak once pressure has been built up.

Mine didnt leak. I just made sure the thermostat neck wasnt corroded and used a good clamp. I tried using it against the radiator but it didn't come on consistently. Once it was submerged in coolant it was a lot more stable.

#8 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:01 AM

Glad to hear that someone tried it like this and had good results. I hadn't thought about putting it in the flow at the water neck, but it makes a lot more sense that shoving it into the radiator fins.

#9 importwarrior

importwarrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,313 posts
    Starquests

Posted 22 March 2019 - 11:41 AM

not sure but I think it is a british pipe thread size.

BSPT

The difference between NPT, BSPP and BSPT seals
https://www.ralstoni...-and-bspt-seals

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

#10 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:56 PM

Looks like a 1/8 will work on it but the company is sold out of the piece I was looking for in the heat range it needs to be.
I'm just gonna try the probe style sensor for now and see how it does.
Thanks for the link

Edited by 81zfan, 22 March 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#11 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:07 AM

I have another question that has came up while finishing this. I have the fan fully wired now except for the Ignition power supply that ties into the relay. Where do others normally get their Ignition power from inside the engine harness? I'm trying to avoid having to run more wire inside the cabin of the car.
I have A/C removed, Alarm removed, and all the relay's on the driver fender unplugged and wires tucked into the inner fender, so If I need or have to tap into any of those for this source, they are there.
Thanks guys!!

#12 importwarrior

importwarrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,313 posts
    Starquests

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

have to get a volt meter and flick on and off the switch to see what is hot and not. there should be a wire there to use for sure from the AC or alarm relay.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

#13 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:28 AM

That's what I was considering. I just didn't want to tap into any of those and cause a problem with the wires being overloaded.
I'd like to cut the unused plug's to the relay's off,but I'm kinda concerned with doing that.

#14 importwarrior

importwarrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,313 posts
    Starquests

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:04 AM

if your just triggering a relay than it should not be a problem.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

#15 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:42 PM

It's coming off the adjustable thermostat. It says "ignition switch" on it. I've never fooled with an electric that has all this much extra with it, so I've been a little lost on it. Everything else is self explanatory except for that one wire.
This all started with just a simple fan install, then I didn't want to look at all the unneeded wires,plugs and relays so it's turned into a several day job to get all that removed or tucked away. Haha

#16 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 04:45 AM

View Post81zfan, on 28 March 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

It's coming off the adjustable thermostat. It says "ignition switch" on it. I've never fooled with an electric that has all this much extra with it, so I've been a little lost on it. Everything else is self explanatory except for that one wire.
This all started with just a simple fan install, then I didn't want to look at all the unneeded wires,plugs and relays so it's turned into a several day job to get all that removed or tucked away. Haha

I'm pretty sure you could tap the Vacuum Pump or ABS pump for ignition voltage. I just ran mine off a switch inside the cabin.

#17 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 07:08 AM

I'll look into Vac pump or the ABS plug for voltage, as I am trying to clean all those plugs up on the fender. I am trying to avoid running it inside right now since I've finally gotten everything wired in there and all the holes in the firewall sealed up.

#18 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,210 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes
  • Model:Starion

Posted 29 March 2019 - 12:07 PM

View Post81zfan, on 28 March 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

That's always how it starts!

FYI my fans are controlled straight from my ECU and set to both come on at 190 and off at 180.
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#19 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

Unfortunately it's been raining on and off a couple day now,so I'm even further behind on finishing this. I'm finally motivated to get everything finished on it after it's sat for years since I rebuilt the motor and everything. Maybe this will be the year I get to drive it :D

I'm gonna have it set to come on at 190 and go off around 175-180. I thought about splicing it into the SAFC harness that goes to the ECU but that's gonna be my last resort since the holes in the firewall have been sealed now.

Edited by 81zfan, 29 March 2019 - 01:16 PM.

#20 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,625 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:23 PM

Use the + side factory ignition coil wire.  It's key on hot that comes straight from the ignition switch and doesn't go through the ECI relay.  Use that wire for relay activation + and your fan controller for the - side of the relay.  I wouldn't run anything directly off the coil+ wire.
My 87
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users