Depth available for dash speakers Q and BS

83stariontravis

So I found one source that said 1 7/16" of depth is available for the dash speakers and another that said 2 7/16. Is one of these correct?

Maybe doesn't matter but I'm inquiring on my 83. I know the speaker sizes in 83 doors are little tiny ones compared to the wide sq and the 83 has manual heater vent controls and I believe there are some vents/actuators in the the vicinity of the dash speaks.

Also maybe someone can verify that there is room for a 4" diameter speaker in the 83 dash locations.

This isn't really BS but it doesn't seem like there is an appropriate Q and A section to ask questions like this anywhere on the forums, although I do see countless examples of questions in sections bluntly published as NOT Q&A FORUMS. So where in the forum should a question like the one above go? Or is this the proper place? It's all BS anyway.

It might be the difference in sides. The passenger side has all sorts of room and came with a larger speaker from the factory. The drivers side is really tight.

Even 1 7/16" sounds like it might be too much on the drivers side. Directly below the speaker is a hard plastic section of air duct that contains the manual valve that switches between outside vent and inside air. You can't modify that piece and still have it work... to put in anything deeper than the stock speaker you'll have to sacrifice that valve piece and use some flex duct to connect the inside air only.

4" is possible... barely. You need to use a cast basket driver because you'll have to trim some of to clear the cluster. Stamped basket won't trim well ;). You'll also need to trim some of the internal bracing in the dash near the door.

• Like 1

It might be the difference in sides. The passenger side has all sorts of room and came with a larger speaker from the factory. The drivers side is really tight.

Even 1 7/16" sounds like it might be too much on the drivers side. Directly below the speaker is a hard plastic section of air duct that contains the manual valve that switches between outside vent and inside air. You can't modify that piece and still have it work... to put in anything deeper than the stock speaker you'll have to sacrifice that valve piece and use some flex duct to connect the inside air only.

4" is possible... barely. You need to use a cast basket driver because you'll have to trim some of to clear the cluster. Stamped basket won't trim well ;). You'll also need to trim some of the internal bracing in the dash near the door.

Thank you very much. This is enough info before diving into it my self. What is the diameter of the stock dash speakers? I can't remember if I was going to use 3" tweeters or 4" tweeters in the dash. 3" might be the way to go. But I think I still need 2" of depth... But I'll take a look and may remove that valve if necessary.

I am currently deadening and sealing my doors and cutting holes and fabricating mounts for 8" speakers still hidden behind modified stock looking door panels. Plan is loud tweeters in the dash and a properly sized box with a nice 10". That is it. Should be super loud and have plenty of bass. Few other details I'm leaving out for now but will show when I have pics to post. Oh and ETACS will use the rear speakers lol.

The VM forum

VM...

Troubleshooting StarQuest Problems

Virtual Mechanic

A place to find help with questions relating to the OEM power train set-up on your StarQuest.

This question has nothing to do with OEM power train or even powertrain for that matter and not really troubleshooting any problem either.

Wikipedia: "In a motor vehicle, the term powertrain or powerplant describes the main components that generate power and deliver it to the road surface"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Walton_with_Leicester_-_Peterborough_East_train_geograph-2791492-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Jokes mostly but seriously reading through the forum options and picking the correct section seems pretty ambiguous to me. Aside from that thank you admins/moderators for the time put into sqc.com!

Edited by 83stariontravis

That might be a year/model difference. I know for a fact the original dash speakers in the 84 plymouth were different sizes. That car also had two way speakers in the rear which I don't think my widebodies had.

That's a possibility. All the widebodies I've dealt with had 3.5" in the dash. I haven't messed with the older dashes so you could be right about that.

• 2 weeks later...
I have being able to fit multiply 4 inch speakers into the dash from Focal 3way, Matts 3 ways and ADS three ways, however for the left speaker you will have to modify the air duct and remold it back or use aluminum AC tape to reseal it. It is not and easy task and is best done with the dash remove. It you can get a good quality 4 inch up there for mid range it improve the staging significantly. Good luck.