Power antenna secrets

tsi_tom

I have purchased a new Mitsubishi antenna mast to replace my broken one. The old track was stuck inside the antenna so I had to take it apart. Now with the new mast installed it skips twice when extended and once when retracted. Is there instructions on how to reset the fully extended or fully retracted mast?

Looking at the antenna assembly there is a fully extended and fully retracted signal, but the wheel position seems to be out of sync.

Let me know if you have a solution to this problem.

Yeah some other cars don't do it. But every aftermarket power antenna I've seen does it. Timed power antennas do that and SQ antennas seem to be more time based than limit switching.

Which is strange because the harness has the limits

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u467/tsi_tom/The%20Missouri%20Project/antennaconnectorpinout_zpsf0d80a25.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the starquest antennas are timed in reference to motor rotations. There's a position switch inside of the assembly. Mine has done it since day one. It's common.

My issue is that mine doesn't retract fully. I've done multiple mast replacements on my cars and have yet to have one fully retract. It's like the cable has too much resistance inside of the assembly for the motor to coil it.

Don't intend to hi-jack, but Any suggestions? I lube the CRAP out of them.

- Charles

If I'm not mistaken, the starquest antennas are timed in reference to motor rotations. There's a position switch inside of the assembly. Mine has done it since day one. It's common.

My issue is that mine doesn't retract fully. I've done multiple mast replacements on my cars and have yet to have one fully retract. It's like the cable has too much resistance inside of the assembly for the motor to coil it.

Don't intend to hi-jack, but Any suggestions? I lube the CRAP out of them.

- Charles

I have taken a picture that I will get. You are right though, it is motor rotations. One would think that the mast would line up with motor rotations to not skip.

Is your mast clean? Perhaps you have worn brushes? Mine were worn about half way through.

One would think, but sometimes you never know with Mitsubishi. Lol.

The motor is as strong as day one. Brushes are perfect. Mast is clean, lubed and new. It's a problem with the cup that the plastic cable coils in. It's east the first half and then it gets harder and harder and can't retract the last four inches. It just does the clicking like it's at the end.

I have yet to find out why it won't coil enough even with it lubed up everywhere. Maybe one day I'll figure it out. :/

- Charles

This may be off the wall and maybe doesn't affect the mast travel, but.......... :wacko:

When you guys replaced the antenna mast and it's tape, did you verify that the tape is the same lenght that the factory OEM was? Back in 1998 or so, when I replaced the Old Broads antenna mast, with a genuine Mitsu replacement, I remember that the replacement's tape lenght was longer than the factory one. I'll be darned if I can remember how much longer though.

I went back to my local Mitsu dealership and asked them about this. I talked to a Mitsu old timer shop mechanic there and he said that you had to cut the tape to the factory lenght to get proper antenna mast travel. So I cut it to the factory lenght - never had a problem with the new installation.

Here is Komeuppance's Power Antenna FAQ post where he talks about cutting down an after market antenna tape to get proper mast travel too. http://www.starquest...howtopic=132002

For What It's Worth.

KEN

This may be off the wall and maybe doesn't affect the mast travel, but.......... :wacko:

When you guys replaced the antenna mast and it's tape, did you verify that the tape is the same lenght that the factory OEM was? Back in 1998 or so, when I replaced the Old Broads antenna mast, with a genuine Mitsu replacement, I remember that the replacement's tape lenght was longer than the factory one. I be darned if I can remember how much longer though.

I talked to my local Mitsu dealership and asked them about this. I talked to a old time shop mechanic there and he said that you had to cut the tape to the factory lenght to get proper antenna mast travel. I cut it to the factory lenght - never had a problem with the new installation.

Here is Komeuppance's Power Antenna FAQ post where he talks about cutting down an after market antenna tape to get proper mast travel too. http://www.starquest...howtopic=132002

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Hi Ken, does yours skip twice on full extension and once on full retraction? You are the original owner so this info is good to hear.

About 4 years ago, the Old Broad's antenna mast tape got stripped out again. I have left it in the fully extended position with the mast motor electrically disconnected since then. Old age has set in and I don't exactly remember, but I think that it did.

Because of my bad back, I just haven't had the drive to twist myself into a pretzel while bending over the rear of the hatch area to remove, rebuild it and reinstall the damn thing again.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

To comment on the length, I'm sure all masts are longer than needed. I've always had to cut every one I've ever had.

I just cut it as short as it can possibly go without falling off the gear and call it done. Still too much resistance for the gear to coil in the housings I have though. Lol

- Charles

No because it winds effortlessly from full extension to about 1/2-1/3 of the way down. Then it gets harder and harder until the gear skips and does the clicking as if it was fully retracted. Trust me, if it was any longer it wouldn't even fit in the coil housing insert.

The only thing I can think of is that the plastic cable might be slightly thicker than stock which makes it stiffer and fill the coil housing too early. That's the only thought left. Overall, it's not too big of a deal to me until I'm done with the full restoration. I'll figure it out and post it here :)

- Charles

No because it winds effortlessly from full extension to about 1/2-1/3 of the way down. Then it gets harder and harder until the gear skips and does the clicking as if it was fully retracted. Trust me, if it was any longer it wouldn't even fit in the coil housing insert.

The only thing I can think of is that the plastic cable might be slightly thicker than stock which makes it stiffer and fill the coil housing too early. That's the only thought left. Overall, it's not too big of a deal to me until I'm done with the full restoration. I'll figure it out and post it here :)

- Charles

Had an ADDITIONAL brain fart memory recall from 1998 in regards to my reply #13 above - it's hell getting old. :wacko:

The other thing that the old timer Mitsu shop mechanic told me was to LIGHTLY coat the mast tape with Never Seize to reduce binding/friction within the cavity where it windes up and unwinds.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Not using a Mitsu mast. It doesn't matter the mast as long as it fits in width and length. I just bought a universal from AutoZone like mentioned in the FAQ section.

Had an ADDITIONAL brain fart memory recall from 1998 in regards to my reply #13 above - it's hell getting old. :wacko:

The other thing that the old timer Mitsu shop mechanic told me was to LIGHTLY coat the mast tape with Never Seize to reduce binding/friction within the cavity where it windes up and unwinds.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

I simply used some multipurpose grease to coat the mast tape. I was a bit liberal with it also. With what you said, I may just have to take the one for my 87 back apart and try some anti-seize. It sounds like that might be a better option actually since it'd be thinner and more lubricating. Heck, it might be worth putting on the mast too to keep it from getting stiff.

Thanks for the tip!

- Charles

As a personal preference, I think they look ugly as crap. The only way I see them looking decent is if they're on the top center of the roof, and I'm not about to cut a hole in my room for one. I like the retractables the most especially when looking at our cars.

I usually use a signal booster for the antenna. They're cheap as dirt and work pretty well for increasing reception.

- Charles