10 replies to this topic

#1 Alpina_Blue

Alpina_Blue

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:06 PM

https://bringatraile...er-conquest-10/

This one looks to be in good shape with lower miles, but definitely has some mechanical and cosmetic needs beyond other StarQuests listed this year. It will be interesting to see where it ends up, as the last two closed without the reserve being met (bid to $22,750 for a truly excellent red one, $8K for a very clean automatic in Palermo Gray). However, the two listed before those, an 88 Conquest and an 87 Starion, both did extremely well at $17K and $20.5K, respectively. Regardless of the outcome, it’s nice to see all the positive comments our cars generate on BaT, the white one currently live is no exception!

#2 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:48 PM

This white one just doesnít excite me.  I think itís been tinkered on too much.   Too many little things.    I doubt this one hits $9k.  

Whatís with the black plugs along the door sill?

#3 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:59 PM

View PostPreludedude, on 05 April 2021 - 07:48 PM, said:

This white one just doesn't excite me.  I think it's been tinkered on too much.   Too many little things. I doubt this one hits $9k.  

What's with the black plugs along the door sill?

I noticed those too and was trying to figure out what they were.

I do like the sport interior, and I like the mileage.  It does have some things that have been played with, but it certainly doesn't look like a car that would take much to get back to show quality without doing a total restoration.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#4 PWREGAN

PWREGAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:39 PM

Bidding on this white conquest, what issues are you picking up on, anything major?

#5 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:20 AM

PDR Plugs
Posted Image

#6 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:15 AM

View PostBuGG, on 06 April 2021 - 01:20 AM, said:

PDR Plugs

Had to google it.   So itís been damaged and repaired also then...

#7 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:18 AM

View PostPWREGAN, on 05 April 2021 - 08:39 PM, said:

Bidding on this white conquest, what issues are you picking up on, anything major?

I believe youíll overpay on BAT.    Have you checked FB groups?   Lots of nice models are available

There are 2 really nice ones in Union SC right now.    A guy Jeff is thinning out his collection.    White 88 for $10k and a Yellow 88 for $12k.  Both have tan interior.

#8 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

Those plugs are from rustproofing,  It says it was an Ohio/Pennsylvania car most of its life.  It is very common up here to get your car rustproofed when you purchase it.  Drilling the holes in the rocker panel to gain access was the 'normal' back then.   Nowadays, they tend do use the factory hole locations as much as possible and just alter the length of the flexible wand to the delivery gun.

BTW, I think this car looks great! Some minor modifications in the engine compartment (blaster coil, turbo coolant lines, etc) but mostly original.  Body and interior look good.    

Did notice the engine compartment was painted black in certain areas.   It did say that it was hit at one time in the front.

#9 DB2

DB2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:48 AM

View Postkev, on 07 April 2021 - 12:58 PM, said:

Those plugs are from rustproofing,  It says it was an Ohio/Pennsylvania car most of its life.  It is very common up here to get your car rustproofed when you purchase it.  Drilling the holes in the rocker panel to gain access was the 'normal' back then.   Nowadays, they tend do use the factory hole locations as much as possible and just alter the length of the flexible wand to the delivery gun.

BTW, I think this car looks great! Some minor modifications in the engine compartment (blaster coil, turbo coolant lines, etc) but mostly original.  Body and interior look good.

Did notice the engine compartment was painted black in certain areas.   It did say that it was hit at one time in the front.

I tend to agree they are probably rust proofing plugs, but my gosh why so many.  I worked at a rust proofing shop in the late 80s in Michigan and we popped one hole inserted a long tube and sprayed as we pulled the tube out.  That's what 4-5 plugs for a very short section.  Also, feeling super OCD that it's annoying me they are not evenly spaced....   :-(

Edited by DB2, 08 April 2021 - 08:49 AM.

Small time collector

- 1968 Ford Mustang, fully restored, 302 4V
- 1971 MG B GT, 1.8L 4speed
- 1972 Chevrolet C-20, Fleetside Longbed, 400Ci SB
- 1987 Mitsubishi Starion, stock, 50k miles

- 1981 Honda Nighthawk 600
- 1987 Honda Super Magna 700
- 1995 Yamaha FZR 600

What can I say, I like my toys.  :-)

#10 louswheel

louswheel

King Kong Status

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,369 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:20 AM

Its a nice looking car.  This is one of those situations where you would need to put your hands on it, inspect it in person in order to make a decision.  If its been wrecked before, you definately want to see up close where the repairs where done for build quality.  Looks like its also had a few oil leaks over time, engine bay needs clean up.  But overall its not a bad looking car.  Is it worth 8 to 9k?  That depends if someone wants it bad engough.

#11 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,750 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:31 AM

This white one just doesn't excite me.  I think it's been tinkered on too much.   Too many little things. I doubt this one hits $9k.  

I was right. Bidding stopped at $7800....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users