51 replies to this topic

#1 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:04 PM

Well I just brought back another conquest.  I'm not good at picking fancy names for these things so I just call this one conquest #7, haha.   This is an 88 tsi, black, non-shp, non-sunroof, automatic.   This car is pretty much identical to my last daily driven cq, conquest #6.  

I got this one from a very close friend who needed to clear out his garage for another toy.   It has 98k original and has been sitting in garages since 1997.  The owner before my friend pulled the engine a part to fix what he thought was a head gasket but of course was a cracked head.  There was a good used head from a 50k car in the trunk.  Also, it has all of the parts needed to put it back together.  

I have two teenage boys, so this one will be a father/son project and they will most likely be the ones driving it in the future.   As of right now, my younger son is taking the most interest in it.  

Posted Image

All in all, it is what I consider rust free...but that is from a PA guy.  There is no rust on the frame rails, rockers, or anything on the undercarriage.  It started to rust on the rear quarters behind the wheels.  A previous owner ground it out and started to patch it with putty (as seen in the photos).  There is one small hole in the drivers front quarter.  Right where the oem braze line is.  The PO ground out the rust.  That is it.  Even the front bumper support is solid (some minor rust but it is all there!)  

Posted Image

Posted Image

As seen, it has a palmero grey RH fender on it but the original black one came with the car (dented but rust free as well).  The car has a ton...and I mean a TON...of door dings and one larger dent behind the door on the drivers side (viewable in the above photo).  A PO started to bondo a few dents on the drivers door.   Not sure yet if I will spray the whole car or just touch up a few panels...we shall see.  But the small rusted areas will be repaired by welding in patches.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interior is from an 87 with no rips/tears.

Engine was torn down to just the block sitting in the engine bay with pistons/rods/crank.   To make the rebuild easier, my son and I pulled the engine this past weekend and put it on the stand.  We are in the process of cleaning it up and readying it for the rebuild.   I decided that since it is so far torn down, I'd replace the main and rod bearings and put on new rings.   There are no scores in the cylinder walls, very very minor scratches on one rod bearing but nothing transferred to the crank.  This should be a nice and easy rebuild.  

Only issue I found so far is that the turbo has some shaft play but I was planning on rebuilding it anyway.

The car is bone stock with the only exception being the removal of the ABS.  The PO gutted the ABS and put all new rotors and pads on it.    I plan on keeping it stock with the exception of installing an early model clutch fan/shroud (I hate the electric fan setups in our cars, never had good luck with them).  It will stay automatic providing the tranny is in good working order.  I do have everything needed to do a manual conversion but don't really want to tackle that at the moment.  

Note: if you click on the thumbnails in the thread, it will show a full size image.

#2 Jonathan

Jonathan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:20 PM

Nice find. Although you make me want when I see that Mustang in your pictures. lol
Jonathan

#3 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:30 PM

Thanks haha...that mustang was the project that I was finally getting started on.  I've owned it since 2009 and just started working on it this past summer.  Got it all stripped down and built a frame rack from scratch to aide in the bodywork. That car needs a lot of work, the entire undercarriage is pretty much shot.   Unfortunately, this black 88 kinda will halt the progress on it for a bit.  

Posted Image

#4 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.

Posted 02 December 2020 - 05:00 PM

Looking forward to seeing this car come together kev!
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#5 randy

randy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:26 AM

I'm really loving the mustang fastback that's going to be a nice project.

#6 Jonathan

Jonathan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:56 PM

Keep us posted on that! love to see owners do the restoration. My buddy is just about complete with his 64 Chevelle. Built his own rotisserie and everything.
Jonathan

#7 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 10:47 AM

Well here is where I'm at on this project:

Engine is fully torn down.  Been cleaning all of the items.   Still working on cleaning the block itself.  My parts washer is way too small for it which is making this difficult.  I probably could run it to a machine shop and have it cleaned but I'm trying to fix this car up on the cheap.  

Posted Image

Also been working out a few other odds and ends.  

The right rear caliper was sticking.  I pulled both calipers and got them freed up and working good.  I'm going to see if that does the trick before I go into a rebuild mode.  

Also put new fluid in the rear differential.  Pulled the oil cooler, filled it with thinner and let it sit for a few days.  Emptied and flushed with mineral spirits.  No noticeable metal slivers at all inside it.

Fixed the shift linkage.  The automatic linkage bushings just disintegrate over the years.  They are NLA but 7/16" heater hose works great in their replacement.   This is the second automatic car that I've fixed via this trick!  

Have all of the parts needed to put this thing back together with exception to my valve stem seals an the turbo rebuild kit that are stuck somewhere in the mail.  Still need to buy a battery but I'll do that once it is all back together.

#8 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 18 December 2020 - 12:18 PM

Blow compressed air through the oil cooler with a bucket on the other end.  Mine was full of metal,
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#9 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:59 AM

My sons and I worked on this engine like mad over the holidays.  Almost have it ready to go back in.  Here are are a few photos of the progress:

After a much needed pressure wash.  And my younger son didn't like looking at the Palmero passenger front fender, so he put on the original black fender that has some damage in the front.  Put on some donuts in the front for the time being for the tires don't hold air anymore.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was hard cleaning up the block but I think we did pretty good.  Used mineral spirits, tooth brushes and blowing out with the air compressor.  Went back with wax and grease remover and air.  These next few photos were after the mineral spirits but before the wax & grease remover.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not planning on dressing this engine up, for this car will be a driver.  But I can't stand the sight of rusted iron.  So it got a quick rattle can spray with black engine enamel.

Posted Image

Plastigage

Posted Image

#10 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:59 AM

Finally, everything all clean and spec'd out...ready to assemble.   All new bearings...and I actually found both clevite rods and main bearings!  Original cleaned up pistons with new Hastings rings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New timing assembly on..with BSEK.  I normally would just keep the balance shafts on a driver like this but the previous owner already installed the sleeve in the upper bearing and had the kit.  

Posted Image

Head going back together after thoroughly cleaning the valves, etc.  New valve seals installed

Posted Image

Posted Image

I chose to just keep the jet valves because this is a good uncracked head and the elimination kit wasn't as accessible.  But the jet valve seal kit was only a buck on rockauto...so those got rebuilt too.

Posted Image

Cleaned up and well lubricated rocker assembly.   BTW, those purple things are the fingers off of rubber gloves.  Works wonders to install the rocker assembly without dropping the lifters.  Just slide them off after the rocker assembly is in place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I put the head on first before the timing cover on this rebuild.  I've done it both ways in the past with no issues.  It's easier to bolt up the camshaft if you have access to the chain tensioner.  

Posted Image

Engine almost together now

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I realized that I didn't have the right gasket for the rear main seal cover.  You know how they give you two types in the kit plus the seal?  Well I just had one of the wrong types and the seal.  Not sure what happened to the other one.  I guess I used it somewhere along the road but it's odd that I still had a new seal. Anyways, I ordered the gasket but it has been stuck in shipping for over three weeks.   I think USPS Pony Express went back to literally using ponies over the past few months. This is the only thing that is holding up putting the engine back in the car.  I'm a little bummed because that was our goal over the holidays but it is super close.  

We are working on the turbo rebuild now.  Have it a part, cleaned, and its ready for assembly.  Still have to rebuild the distributer.  I have a new vacuum advance but decided to order a pick up coil...which is also stuck in the mail.  

Last, the fuel pump is shot.  Doesn't surprise me for sitting so long.  Thankfully the previous owner drained the tank meaning there isn't too much stale gas to take care of.  We have since dropped the tank and washed off the outside.  Still need to flush the inside out and the new fuel pump is on order....again stuck in the mail.  

Posted Image

#11 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:11 AM

Few misc photos.  

Has 87 seats, front and back.  In decent shape but need a good conditioning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ouch...this doesn't look too good.  Doubt the AC works

Posted Image

How the car is sitting now:

Posted Image

#12 obsolete

obsolete

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:03 AM

Good stuff kev, as always. Glad to see all the progress.

And you got the photos working!
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#13 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:02 PM

Very nice! I also have stuff stuck in the mail.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#14 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

View Posttsi_tom, on 18 December 2020 - 12:18 PM, said:

Blow compressed air through the oil cooler with a bucket on the other end.  Mine was full of metal,

I did blow it out with compressed air after letting it sit upside down drying out from the thinner.  I still didn't find any debris inside it.   I blew it out into a paper towel.   This engine was in remarkably good condition.  

View Postobsolete, on 04 January 2021 - 11:03 AM, said:

Good stuff kev, as always. Glad to see all the progress.

And you got the photos working!

Thanks.   I sorta got the photos working.  i can only post links with thumbnails.  The thumbnails cut down on the size of the photo and in some cases distort them, but it does the job.  If you click any of the photos above, it will open them in another tab on your browser full size.   I'm just about ready to start using this approach to repair all of my how to threads and my 87 restoration thread.

#15 Jonathan

Jonathan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:10 PM

Great progress. Wish I was able to do more on my build, but still waiting on a few things before going on.
Jonathan

#16 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,222 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 04 January 2021 - 06:40 PM

Fabulous work as usual. Your build threads are absolutely inspiring.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#17 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,458 posts
  • Interests:Killin' cones at 400WTQ!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:01 PM

Looking good Kev! That's a great find for a PA car! Sounds like the previous owners had some love for it.
I'm sure you will fix it up and back to it's true form. Just don't take as long as your other car. We get inpatient  :)
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Turbo Lab GTX3071R, P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods, AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016, 17, 19 SCCA Solo, Glen Region Season Champion in Street Modified
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#18 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 10:41 AM

Thanks!  No, this one will be running/driving quick.  Hoping to turn the key in January.   Will probably wait to the spring to put it on the road though. The mustang will be another many year project though.

My parts arrived today!  the rear main seal gasket, dissy pickup, and the fuel pump

#19 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.

Posted 09 January 2021 - 10:49 PM

Looking great kev. Enjoy watching this come together. One of the nice things about these cars is parts for the most part are relatively cheap on comparison to other makes/models.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#20 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:41 AM

Posting a few more pictures.  We didn't get too far this past weekend due to other obligations.  But the parts came in which meant that we could finally button up the engine.   We also rebuilt the turbo.    

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We pulled down the dissy and cleaned it all up.  I totally forgot about the inner oil seal.  I guess I should have looked up its availability before I ripped it out and destroyed it!   NLA from Mitsu and it is not a really common size.  12.5mm ID x 22mm OD x 6mm thick.   I found one available from motion industries and ordered it the other day but it hasn't shipped yet.   I don't mind waiting for it, as long as they do indeed have it.  

Posted Image

I was looking at the insert pressed into the crankshaft for the automatics.  I not concerned now but I'm considering eventually converting this car to manual.  The inner diameter of the insert is smaller than I expected and I don't believe my puller will fit into it (although haven't confirmed this yet).   Anyone have any tricks on pulling out this insert for when the time comes?  

We still have a little odds and ends to do in the engine compartment that could wait but it will be easier with the engine out.   I'm hoping to get these done and get the engine installed this weekend.  We shall see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users