New head installed now car runs like crap

flatty86

Hello Guys,

It’s been a while since I been on here as my car has been broken for about a year now. My flatty had a warped head.. Anyway bought a new head and put everything back together. Car runs like total crap. Tried lining up the timing marks and setting the distributor with no luck. Al that did was made me lose power. Can someone tell me what’s going on with this car?.

Thank you.

Were you able to get the timing chain on correctly, ie lined up with all the correct marks on the chain and sprockets? When at TDC on the compression stroke for #1 is the cam dowel slightly short of 12:00?

Easiest way to check your cam timing with limited tools is to pull all of your spark plugs, put the trans in neutral, and keep your ignition off.

Turn the motor by the crank pulley, you should hear and feel smooth compression out of the spark plug holes as the motor is being turned, it should be relatively easy to turn the motor too.

If you have a compression tester use that and make sure your car falls within spec (pull the fuse for your fuel pump, with all the spark plugs pulled, test each cylinder by turning the motor with the ignition/starter).

Make sure you have your mechnical/cam timing set properly before trying to diagnose anything else first, compression will immediately tell you if you need to go back and fix anything.