ignitor/knock box upgrade from '87 to '88/'89

Tekki_Shodan

I am not finding a clear description of how to do an ignitor/knock box upgrade from '87 to '88/'89.

I found this... but not sure....

The wires should match up color for color. Theres two wires that you don't use, there for the 88/89 wastegate thingy

As far as the two blacks and two whites, there should be only 1 black. Basically, just compare the locations to match up the correct two whites.

Spot #3 is black, #5 will be deleted, #6 and #7 are the two whites, and #10 will be deleted.

I'm numbering those simply by looking down at my mounted connection, across the top, then across the bottom.

Your old plug should be damn similar to the '88 plug.

1. Which wires are not used and do really just match up the rest?

2. Can't I just splice in the old '87 connector to the new box and just plug it in? I have read that I HAVE to have the '88/'89 connector.

Thanks,

BP

your best bet is to get about 6" of wiring harness from the donor vehicle - then all the wires match up 1 for 1 and there will be two left over that you can just tape up the ends. If you are planning on cutting the connector that goes into the 87 box and wiring it directly... well, for one you won't be able to disconnect it, but it still will match up.

• 2 weeks later...

this maybe a good time to ask does any one have a scan'd copy of an absolutely know to be 87 fuel system wireing ,, not an 88 or an 89

just like the 83 the 87 year is a one year only ,,a lot of stuff is the same but some stuff is not

ok, that one should tell me where each pin is located on the 86 and probably 87 connectors, just not the colors. I can go out to my car and verify the colors with the harness that is there, right?

Shelby, Is that view of the connector looking at the pins or looking at the back of the connector where the wires are going in? I would think it was looking at the pins, but I better make sure.

So the connector on the 87 ignitor box would be a mirror image of this one which is the harness from the car to the 87 box? (The 87 box has no wires.) In reverse, so the pins would hit the right spades? Ok, I think I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on this one. I might can get it worked out.

I think now I just need to get 88/89 box diagram and possibly someone to label which color is which.

BP

most pic in dagrams that shows a connector is looking at it, say you unplug'd it and look'd at the end with the locking clip in same dir as the pic,, some times the diagram shows both sides ,this time they didn't cause it plugs directly into the unit , so place it like it would plug into the ingniter ,

in the electrical section it has a how to read these symbles , it will explain how you read and orentate the pics to relate to real life connectors , it also id's all the symbles use'd in the diagrams , very helpful and lots of good info to be found in this section that will help you

better understand the diagrams (sorry for the misspleeling but i don't have time to spell check ) :oops:

This is a page from the '88 manual. Sorry, it is kind of big. It gives the colors and positions of the wires in the connector for the ignitor at the bottom of the page. I only have the '88 ignitor and its part of the connector. I don't have any of the harness side or its part of the connector. The wires coming off my ignitor do not match what this page says. Only some match. Maybe this is showing just the harness side of the connector? Do the wire colors change from the connector to the ignitor?

Here are the colors that are coming from my ignitor......

all of the following wires are covered and bundled together with a rubber sleeve.....

- a yellow and a white wire (2 separate wires at the connector) that are wrapped together with their own black cover farther down.

- one red that also has a cover farther down.

- another red, but not covered.

- blue wth a white stripe.

- brown

- dark gray looking or black.

- a light orange color or kind of peach color.

- and 2 light greenish wires. one is lighter than the other.

That makes 10 wires (and pins) total.

1. Could someone with an 88/89 ignitor look at theirs and see if the wire colors change when they cross the connector at the ignitor?

2. If they do change, please list them here and what color they are connected to on the harness side, and if possible the location in the connector? (specify whether you looking into the connector at the actual pins or looking at the back of the connector at the wires)

Thanks,

BP

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10164/www.starquestgarage.com-manuals-service-conquest-1988-88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_26_-_electrical0002-b.jpg

once you remove the two solonid wires they are the same,thats the two on the end away from the white wires

as to the white wires,,you can check that at the dist connector and see what one is what , one to the dist and one to the knock sensor

Man! You guys are coming through for me! Thank you.

Good pics! My digi. cam. is terrible with close ups.

Now I think I just need a pic of the wires on the other end of the 88/89 connector that Turbo Addict posted.

Then I will have a pic of the wires "before and after" the connector. That should straighten it all out for me.

Thanks again guys,

BP

It's really tough to actually get the cam down there - but hopefully this will help get most of them - if there are any you cannot pinpoint let me know and I'll try to get better info.

You cut the harness connector off correct? Do you still have the original harness connector with the left over wires? Maybe that will help fill in the gaps too.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10171/DSC00279.JPG

I didn't clip the wires. I pushed the pins out the back of the connector on the 88/89. I thought that I could re-use the pins in the '87 connector. The pins in th '87 don't come out at all. (Man! I did everything wrong that could possibly be done wrong with this one!)

I don't have the wires with me right now but I will double check it tonight.

It looks like to me the wires go Left to Right across the top where the clip is.....

Brown - Black - White - Orange - Darker Green

(looks like the Yellow drops down below the orange & that green one. That green one looks like it is on top of that other one, I think red).

Bottom Left to Right.....

Lighter Green - Blue w/ White Stripe - Red - Yellow - Red w/ black cover

Can you maybe unclip it and look to see if that is correct?

Brown - Black - White - Orange - Darker Green

LightGreen - Blue/White - Red - Yellow - Red w/ cover

Thanks,

BP

• 2 years later...

Here is a side by side to an 87 connector. The 2 wires on the left side of the picture pulled off to the side are the ones that are not used.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p299/jisleyjr/forsale/fuel_rail008.jpg