Dash VIN plate removal and reattachment?

techboy

I was surprised to do a search for "VIN" and only get a few hits, nothing to do with swapping dash plate. Anyway, I'm in the midst of swapping dashes b/c some idiot painted mine. I want to switch the VIN plates so everything still reads correctly. I never done this before. Any suggests on how to remove both plates on each dash without damaging them? I'm thinking I can drill them out, or cut the rivet head with a dremel. I'm assuming I should be able to easily pop rivet it back on. I have a few days off after Christmas, so I'm hoping to do it then. TIA.

careful about using aftermarket rivets...some states will give you a very hard time about that when they do a vin verification...(ie, give a rebuilt title).

Could cause issues should you ever sell it.

I would try to cut the rivets from underneath, then glue it or something similar to the new dash...keeping the heads of the original rivets intact.

careful about using aftermarket rivets...some states will give you a very hard time about that when they do a vin verification...(ie, give a rebuilt title).

Could cause issues should you ever sell it.

I would try to cut the rivets from underneath, then glue it or something similar to the new dash...keeping the heads of the original rivets intact.

Hmmm... interesting point. I have the *new* dash in my basement already out, and if I remember right the rivets are like a black(ish) and the plates are black. I wonder if I can find black rivets or just hit new ones with some paint. It's a shame I even have to do this ....

• 2 weeks later...

Well ... it was pretty easy. I just drilled them out and reattached with new rivets. The old original VIN plate is in my hand, my VIN plate from car has already been attached to my new dash (photo below).

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9351/vinplates.jpg

Just my 2 cents but, its never a good idea to put that kind of info (your VIN) online. I dont believe anyone here would do anything with them, but we arent the only ones with access to this site. Just food for thought.

BC_99

Just my 2 cents but, its never a good idea to put that kind of info (your VIN) online. I dont believe anyone here would do anything with them, but we arent the only ones with access to this site. Just food for thought.

BC_99

Which I why I made sure there was a glare on my VIN number, and the other one is off my parts car. Can't do much with that.