Injector Clip Replacement/Wire Colors

BuzzKill

The injector clips often get corroded/gunked up and fail to make a proper contact. The primary injector runs until around 3000 RPM (about the same time you reach 0 psi on the boost gauge) and then the secondary kicks in. If the secondary injector doesn't start spraying, the car suddenly goes into a major lean-out and falls on its face.

Go out and buy some new injector clips (sometimes also called "connectors", "sockets" or "pigtails"). They're found at most parts stores for $5-10 each, usually out on the floor (don't need them to look it up). Here are some part numbers:

Bosch or Motormite part #85850. "Bosch replacement FI pigtail"

General FI pigtail #35730 or PS35730

Standard FI pigtail #sk25 or s-654

Be sure to solder the new ones on and don't get the wires mixed up/reversed (I suggest doing one clip at a time).

You just snip the old connector off about an inch down, strip the wires, sand them clean, slide some shrink tubing on each wire, solder the new clip wires on, shrink the tubing and wrap it up in electrical tape.

Use some sandpaper folded over a screw driver (or an emery board) and clean the 2 metal contact terminals on each injector (they're copper, so they should almost shine). Connect the clips to the injector then repeat with the other injector and you're done! Should take you less than 45 minutes if you're taking your time.

Written by: BuzzKill

http://home.attbi.com/~starquest/images/injectorclip.jpg

I would highly recommend these MSD FI connectors. I used these for my factory replacement and my additional injectors and these are some really high quality connectors...

This info is taken directly from the MSD website located at www.msdignition.com go to to FUEL MANAGMENT.

----------------------------------------

http://www.msdignition.com/fuel/2400.jpg

EFI Injector Connector

A reliable connection is imperative to the operation of your EFI system. These connectors feature a locking spring to firmly fasten the connector to the injector’s plug. The injection molded nylon body withstands temperatures ranging from –40°F to 260°F. There are also inner and outter silicone seals to protect each terminal from underhood elements.

Injector Connectors, Includes 8 Connectors w/20 Pins

PN 2400

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought two fro mthe local Autozone.

They are located out on the floor in the electrical connector area.  

They are listed under, I think, "bosch injecter clips".  They cost me 5.99 each.

When I get home from work, I can look at the packaging better if needed.

Rich

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ditto on the dielectric grease guys!

Use Silicone Dielectric grease on ALL of your vehicle electrical connections to keep them from corroding. Whenever you have to use a crimp type connector, dip the end of the stripped wire into the dielectric grease BEFORE you put it in the connector to crimp. This will make a good connection and keep corrosion away. It is messy but the results are worth it.

You can get the Silicone Dielectric grease in tiny little tubes for spark plug wires and plugs at the parts store, - or you can ask for a larger tube like I do.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

this is the stuff off the MSD site

EFI Injector Connector

A reliable connection is imperative to the operation of your EFI system. These connectors feature a locking spring to firmly fasten the connector to the injector’s plug. The injection molded nylon body withstands temperatures ranging from –40°F to 260°F. There are also inner and outter silicone seals to protect each terminal from underhood elements.

Injector Connectors, Includes 8 Connectors w/20 Pins

PN 2400

Drizzt

You can also get them from a Chrysler dealer. Check all the parts stores near you, one or more of them will have them. They are really a common part. I have seen several around once I started looking for them.

Remember the dielectric grease tho !!!!

• 3 months later...

i did a search on summitracing.com and came up with these results...wich one is the right msd clips? im gonna order a few things from them so might as well get those inj clips seeing as they don't have them anywhere around me....

MSD-2105 Injector Retainer Clip, for MSD Top Mount, Set of 8 $6.39  

MSD-2110 Injector Retainer Clip, Rotating, Sickle Style, 8 Pack $6.39 B/O  

MSD-2155 Fuel Injector Retaining Clips, Free Standing, 8 Pack $38.39 B/O  

MSD-34625 Straight, socket cap-style, 100-pack, replacement terminal set $38.69 B/O  

MSD-8121 Wire Clip $32.99 B/O  

MSD-8417 Clips $3.95 B/O  

I am so disapointed with the performance of the clips I am thinking about peeling back some of that plastic shroud on the injectors to expose the tabs and SOLDERING wires directly to the tabs. Then putting male and female spade lugs on the wires to maintain polarity. I can solder the spade lugs on the wires and put heat shrink on the female one to provide insulation. That should put an END to any contact problems.  >:(
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Cheapest and best quality are MSD.

You can buy them at www.summitracing.com

part # search is MSD-2400

20.00 bucks w/shipping and you get like 16 of them.  

One question though, what do you use to crimp them?  I used a traditional wire cutter/crimper and ruined a couple.

You're right, they don't come with wires, but I'm sure any wire will do just so long it's the same gauge.  I actually soldered the one I currently have on (I suck at soldering), I just wanted to see what crimping tool, if any, was available specifically for this as they are extremely small pins.  If you over crimp it and ruin it or add too much solder, they won't fit inside the actual plastic casing.  (That's why I'm no down to two clips!)

I guess you crimp them first then put a little bit of solder on it.  i just want to know what you use to crimp such a small pin.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/msd-2400.jpg

From the picture(I haven't done this), I would fold down those two little tabs to secure the wire in place, and then solder on top of the wire. You can "fill it in", so to speak... There's two little "wall" looking things along each side, i'd just fill the whole thing with solder.

Ps..The wires aren't a problem ;D