1 reply to this topic

#1 madmanperez

madmanperez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:20 PM

Lately I've noticed that my backup lights don't always light up. Some times, normal operation. Other times, don't come on until I start moving backwards. finally sometimes not at all.

I know that there is a switch screwed into the tranny, but if it failed wouldn't the light not come on at all?

#2 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

All i can add to this is if you replace switch... keep in mind there is an 8mm steel ball bearing that sits in where the switch goes and will fall on the ground when you pull out the switch. Check all grounds before replacing the switch. Intermittent issue sounds more like a ground issue to me.. including ground wire on switch... some pointers on switch replacement.. (took me 20 mins) when you pull the switch out of the trans a few drops of fluid will come out. Keep a paper towel handy.. also where the wire is fastened to the bottom of the trans via 2 brackets held on by 12mm (i think 12mm) bolts... these bolts are long and i believe will not come out because they hit the cross member. Also when i loosened my bolts fluid ran out of the bolt hole.. dono if thats normal.. but my advice is to not mess with thoes bolts.. do what i did.. finesse the wire out of the brackets then push new wire back into the brackets.... you can also unplug the connector (located under car near pinch weld by driver door area) (switch is on pass side of trans.. long wire) using a dmm test at connector. I just test ohms (continuity) of the switch itself. Ohm readings arent that important.. your just looking for it to change from OL to #'s as you shift from N to R.

Get an FSM.. and the electrical FSM they help alot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users