Does this look funny to you?

hachi_destroyer

The little spacer marked #53....is that the same thing as in the picture below or am i missing a piece?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/hairyboid4/Sweento/20121121_182110.jpg

On the mainshaft below, is that ring the spacer in the above manual photo or is that just a bearing race?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/hairyboid4/Sweento/20121121_182140.jpg

Edited by hachi_destroyer

What year is the trans and what year is that manual? That trans looks like it has the double row center bearing, Early trans had a single row with a spacer on either end. I believe the retainer and bearing changed again for 88-89. I was only ever in one trans.

yes it was complete and working then one of the screws that holds 60 in place sheared off and got in the way of the shift rail and i couldnt put the car into gear. So we took it apart replaced all the screws and 60 itself and put it back together but something wasnt right. it was trying to be in multiple gears at one time so we tore it down again and were now trying to figure out what we missed.

on a different note, im starting to think that we may have an 88 or 89 transmission in this car. does anyone know the differences? ill have my dad pick up an 88 or 89 manual from work

and put it back together but something wasnt right. it was trying to be in multiple gears at one time so we tore it down again and were now trying to figure out what we missed.

It is possible to lock the tran in two gears if two rails are moved front or back at the same time. This is useful to keep the gears from spinning when removing certain parts. It sometimes happens in an accident or if the trans is dropped handling it. There are detents with springs and balls that are supposed to keep the shafts in the center position unless the shifter pushes them front or back.

87-89 has the serial # on the top exhaust side of the bell housing.

Edited by StarquestRescue