twin turbo???

There wouldn't be any power advantage but if you're an artist working in the media of steel go for it. I'm sure the resulting manifold(s) would look cool.

Scott

Good luck with that. There are several reasons why that just isn't viable

1. Wouldn't be efficient

2. Our engines don't have two headers and because of that would need quite a setup to operate.

I'm not attempting to stifle your creativity but just know there are some serious hurdles to overcome. Basically there is a good reason why you dont see several running around.

Just my 2 cents

Allen

im not looking for more hp. i just think it would be cool. the olny really hard thing to do would be making sure the turbos were boosting the same and blowing off at the same time. im not even really sure if theres anuff room under the hood and cooling mite be an issue. as for the questions its the stock motor, and u dont have to have two headers. you just have to basicly split one header. Edited by kadein13

Doesn't matter if they boost the same....they'll be feeding the same intake charge as they will be blowing-off from a shared intake charge (unless you're going totally goofy with dual intercoolers and intake manifolds/throttlebodies).

One way that a twin-turbo G54 COULD be cool is to run a sequential setup like TT JZ's with dual small turbos and have the second one come on at 3500RPM or above to give it some top end punch since that's generally the "blah" zone for a G54.

Edited by jonboyb

I have twins on a 1jz and can't wait to put a single in there...lol....

Haven't even driven it yet and ready to upgrade...LOL

Sell this guy your stock twins :lol:

Yeah a sequential turbo setup would be the way to go...Use a stock 12a or something small to create boost ASAP and feed it directly into the mouth of a big turbo. Makes a pretty awesome setup as it results in a basketball-sized turbo that spools like a softball-sized one, lol. I may do this in the future once I get bored of the current setup, lol...

Different sequential setup than I was referring....but yes, that could be cool too :lol: JZ's run "sandwiched" turbos (back to back)...one gets exhaust all the time, the second only comes online when a valve allows exhaust to enter at like 4000 rpm. Give a cool afterburner effect and the one reason I never got rid of the factory twins on my Supra (well that and they were never broken..LOL). Problem is the assembly is virtually impossible to work on and as long as a 3 liter inline 6.

Stolen Pic

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll177/Tribal_Supra/Supra%20Parts%20for%20Sale/SupraTwins.jpg

Edited by jonboyb

A pair of td04 13t's spool quick and can make 400 awhp on a 3.0. Paired with a properly made header for each and mpi i see no reason why you could not have your bling and power too. These can be had for as low as $100 each used, frow wrx's. There may be better choices as far as fitment and size.

The t wheels work really well, but are not made for the td05 size chra.

Compound turbo.

http://image.off-roadweb.com/f/17096787+w750+st0/0903or_05_z+aurora_plus_compund_turbo_system+display.jpg

Dont let Chris S.M.B. see this he may triple charge his G54B which I am sure would tear a hole in the fabric of spacetime..

Sequential would be the only way to go. Otherwise just running twins in parallel is going to prove little if no benefit and you won't be running enough boost on a G54B to benefit from a compound setup.

Sequential would be the only way to go. Otherwise just running twins in parallel is going to prove little if no benefit and you won't be running enough boost on a G54B to benefit from a compound setup.

I honestly have no clue how a compound setup works. I just remembered this DSM dude with a riced out looking 2g running like an HX35 into a S16g. He's making like 600hp or something silly like that.

Dont let Chris S.M.B. see this he may triple charge his G54B which I am sure would tear a hole in the fabric of spacetime..

I'm eating lunch and I nearly spit my food out laughing at this lol.

you could do a twin turbo setup for a 4g54b and benifit from it...banks 1-4 and 2-3 go to their own turbo, when theres only 1 fire per 90 degrees it leaves alot of gas exspansion to have to fill the other 3 exhaust runners vs eliminating all that expansion room for exhaust gas with only 2 runners per turbo. i think it should spool close to stock and benifit from 2 12a's or even 2 20g's lol

I honestly have no clue how a compound setup works. I just remembered this DSM dude with a riced out looking 2g running like an HX35 into a S16g. He's making like 600hp or something silly like that.

A compound setup is pretty well used only when boost demands are high. One turbo feeds pressurized air into another turbo (usually slightly smaller). The reason this is beneficial is because they both end up sharing the boost load and keep system efficiencies high while maintaining very high levels of boost.

For instance, diesel guys may be running in excess of 100 psi with compound turbos. For a single turbo it would have to run at a pressure ratio of approximately 7.8:1 which is well beyond what most turbos out there can even dream of pumping. Meanwhile, evenly split between two turbos in a compound setup that works out to 2.8:1. This is a much more attainable number.

Something you may notice is that with compounds, the pressure ratios used are not simply half of what a single turbo would need. That's because a turbocharger isn't technically rated in how much boost it can provide (an actual pressure number), but by how much it can multiply pressure (the boost ratio). In the previous example, the first turbo would be pressurizing 14.7 psia (absolute air pressure at sea level) which means it is cranking out 41.16 psia or 26.46 psi. Meanwhile the second turbo is cranking out 115.2 psi or a final boost of 100.54 psi. Despite the fact that one is only generating 26.46 psi while the other is technically generating 74.08 psi, they are both actually working in the same portion of their flow maps due to the multiplication effect a turbocharger compressor has on incoming air.

Edited by Maxzillian

A compound setup is pretty well used only when boost demands are high. One turbo feeds pressurized air into another turbo (usually slightly smaller). The reason this is beneficial is because they both end up sharing the boost load and keep system efficiencies high while maintaining very high levels of boost.

For instance, diesel guys may be running in excess of 100 psi with compound turbos. For a single turbo it would have to run at a pressure ratio of approximately 7.8:1 which is well beyond what most turbos out there can even dream of pumping. Meanwhile, evenly split between two turbos in a compound setup that works out to 2.8:1. This is a much more attainable number.

Something you may notice is that with compounds, the pressure ratios used are not simply half of what a single turbo would need. That's because a turbocharger isn't technically rated in how much boost it can provide (an actual pressure number), but by how much it can multiply pressure (the boost ratio). In the previous example, the first turbo would be pressurizing 14.7 psia (absolute air pressure at sea level) which means it is cranking out 41.16 psia or 26.46 psi. Meanwhile the second turbo is cranking out 115.2 psi or a final boost of 100.54 psi. Despite the fact that one is only generating 26.46 psi while the other is technically generating 74.08 psi, they are both actually working in the same portion of their flow maps due to the multiplication effect a turbocharger compressor has on incoming air.

you would need two different turbos for this application, as once the exhaust pushes the first turbine the power is lost and the second turbine would not have the full force of the exhaust gas. It is possible though.

For those willing to think out side the box, and not listen to the non achievers who say this or that can not be done.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216811&highlight=compound

When the turbine of the first smaller turbo reaches it set pressure ratio, large waste gates are used to bypass the exhaust flow to the second larger turbo. All the exhaust of the first goes into the second. On the compressor side the air enters the second turbo first, than goes to the smaller turbo that sees the exhaust first where the pressure is further multiplied.