head work headache

so i just bought substocks marnel head. just came in. took it to the machine shop to repair a spark plug hole that was stripped and rethreaded. but the rethread......needed rethreading. They say to me that it might not be repairable and they might not be able to salvage anything from the head. it like brand new, and this really makes me PO'ed. anyone have any comments? Do they not know what their doing or what? Also, they tell me its not from the same engine besause it doesnt have one of the valves or something. i am pretty sure substock has a starquest..........what should i do? Edited by BrokenquestTSI

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what are they helicoiling? Is it the Cam tower area? Im not sure why they cant do a little Tig and re-cut the threads.. If not maybe you should try a shop that can weld alluminum.

theyre rethreading a SP hole. substock sent me an insert, but theyre tellin me that its not form the samae engine and stuff. Doo they know what theyre talkin about or what? im really gettin mad, cuz i told him it came from a dude with the same car and engine as me, and he still says its not and hes not doin any work on it untill i find out 'something'. Idk what something he wants me to find outr, but im seriously gettin irritated. i can never get anywhere to do anything right. it seems like everyones dumb

Get your head back. Those dudes don't know what they're doing or they're trying to "F" you out of a good head. Stripped spark plugs holes are no big deal to repair.... you should see the garbage we bring back to life (not Starion or Mitsu, so don't shoot me!).

You've got a jet less Marnal head, doesn't have the third valve those guys are talking about. Thats a good thing. Stripped SP thread should be taken care of w/ an insert or a little welding and rethreading. A competent shop should be able to take care of it for you.

don't get irritated, not a difficult situation to fix, good luck,

im about to. but the reason that they say its "missing a valve" is because its a aftermarket replacement head without JET VALVES. i bet thats what theyre saying. theyre so dumb man. i am sure dad would but i dont want to pay shipping costs just for him to do a measly a$$ rethread. they should be able to do that stuff but he said theres a possibility that the head might not be good. its seriously like.....BRAND NEW pretty much. im gonna go there tommorrow and clear up this jet valve thing and if they dont think they can rethread the spark plug hole, than im gonna take it somehwere else. Taking out an insert and redoing it wouldnt cause the head not to be good could it? thanks for the help.

-Broken

Edited by BrokenquestTSI

im about to. but the reason that they say its "missing a valve" is because its a aftermarket replacement head without JET VALVES. i bet thats what theyre saying. theyre so dumb man. i am sure dad would but i dont want to pay shipping costs just for him to do a measly a$$ rethread. they should be able to do that stuff but he said theres a possibility that the head might not be good. its seriously like.....BRAND NEW pretty much. im gonna go there tommorrow and clear up this jet valve thing and if they dont think they can rethread the spark plug hole, than im gonna take it somehwere else. Taking out an insert and redoing it wouldnt cause the head not to be good could it? thanks for the help.

-Broken

You can have them call me if they have any questions. I won't be in the shop untill monday but you can also PM me their # and I will be glad to try and call them if I can tomorrow..

I will be on my way to PF by tomorrow night.

Dad ( Randy)

Just go pick it up. Tell them some excuse like your getting a refund or something, and find another place.

Look in the phone book for a cylinder head specialty shop, or if there isnt one just try another machine shop. You definetly need

a second opinion on this diagnosis, and just the fact they are giving you a hassle about the lack of jet valves sounds like they

dont really want to mess with it anyway.

ALWAYS take you STARQUEST to people who WORK on STARQUEST thats one reason im on this site to get REAL info.

My brother is a Mechanic and he knows what other mechs do to cars to make dough.

I mean i NEVER let them work on my ship (car) i might let them do the ball joints or something menial.

lol even in the sci fi movie "Star Wars" when the Millenium Falcon needed repairs he took it back to Lando Calrissian not to SpaceBalls!

So even fictional stories show were to take your ship if you want to call it that.

Edited by macrophage

i went there this morning and what i asked them to do was very simple. i asked to see that valve he was talkin about and he showed me the jet valve and i cleared that up. then he said: "ok that all i needed to know" and that was at like 8 AM and now its 4 PM and they still hevent called me. what is taking them so long? This is ridiculous. how can a 'machine shop' be so dumb with this stuff? If they mess up the spark plug hole doin this......could it be fixed?

ALWAYS take you STARQUEST to people who WORK on STARQUEST thats one reason im on this site to get REAL info.

My brother is a Mechanic and he knows what other mechs do to cars to make dough.

I mean i NEVER let them work on my ship (car) i might let them do the ball joints or something menial.

lol even in the sci fi movie "Star Wars" when the Millenium Falcon needed repairs he took it back to Lando Calrissian not to SpaceBalls!

So even fictional stories show were to take your ship if you want to call it that.

OMG "Star Wars" was science fiction??? I thought it was a documentary. It said it happened a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away!

lol

Seriously though, no one "works" on these cars (locally). When it comes to getting machine work done you just gotta find someone that has a clue. Or ship it to Dad.

i went there this morning and what i asked them to do was very simple. i asked to see that valve he was talkin about and he showed me the jet valve and i cleared that up. then he said: "ok that all i needed to know" and that was at like 8 AM and now its 4 PM and they still hevent called me. what is taking them so long? This is ridiculous. how can a 'machine shop' be so dumb with this stuff? If they mess up the spark plug hole doin this......could it be fixed?

Did they say they would get to it today? Sometimes they dont start on stuff till they are done with the jobs that are in front of yours.

well, im pretty sure he started doin it as i left. he said "ok that all i needed to know" just before i walked out. maybe not, but they better not charge me a crazy amount of money for doin any of this stuff. just fix that spark plug hole and swap over rockers and cam for me that it.

Just go pick it up. Tell them some excuse like your getting a refund or something, and find another place.

Look in the phone book for a cylinder head specialty shop, or if there isnt one just try another machine shop. You definetly need

a second opinion on this diagnosis, and just the fact they are giving you a hassle about the lack of jet valves sounds like they

dont really want to mess with it anyway.

why on earth would you make up something like your getting a refund or something? man up and just say i am taking it elsewhere. why do people automatically come up with a lie when they are too much of a coward to simply say what they mean? this just happens to be one of my major gripes about people in general. they would rather make up a lie instead of telling the truth when it is just as easy.

i would like to say that this is not personal but this is a major character flaw so i guess it is. hopefully instead of getting mad you will think about what i said and take it as constructive criticism.

why on earth would you make up something like your getting a refund or something? man up and just say i am taking it elsewhere. why do people automatically come up with a lie when they are too much of a coward to simply say what they mean? this just happens to be one of my major gripes about people in general. they would rather make up a lie instead of telling the truth when it is just as easy.

i would like to say that this is not personal but this is a major character flaw so i guess it is. hopefully instead of getting mad you will think about what i said and take it as constructive criticism.

you sound like my brother. He seemed like he knew what he was doin once i ok'ed him about the jet valve thing. i just dont hink he wanted to do the work if that wasnt for the right engine or whatever. he wanted to make sure i got the right part i guess before he put time into it i guess.

Edited by BrokenquestTSI

you sound like my brother. He seemed like he knew what he was doin once i ok'ed him about the jet valve thing. i just dont hink he wanted to do the work if that wasnt for the right engine or whatever. he wanted to make sure i got the right part i guess before he put time into it i guess.

blake is that you?

why on earth would you make up something like your getting a refund or something?

Its so he could his part back without having to expain why he wants to go somewhere else. Some guys can be a dik when they have your part and you tell them that your taking it next door because you think they are a dumb arse.

Getting in an argument with someone who has your part, somewhere in the back, is an option, but this was an option to avoid a conflict or a debate as to why he should or should not take it somewhere else. It depends on who your dealing with and if you know what your talking about.

Really its none of their busness why you want to go somewhere else specially if you just dont like them.

And broken you didnt get an estimate before hand?

no. because ive been under the impression that this is petty work for a machine shop. but they act like it rocket science or something and its impossible. what if they charge me more than i plan on paying? then they keep my head untill i pay them off or what? And seriously......this job couldnt cost that much money could it?

no. because ive been under the impression that this is petty work for a machine shop. but they act like it rocket science or something and its impossible. what if they charge me more than i plan on paying? then they keep my head untill i pay them off or what? And seriously......this job couldnt cost that much money could it?

Well if you didnt tell them how much you were willing to spend to fix it, what if it takes them 4 hours? 4 X $75hr is $300.

They dont know you can get a new one for a little more. For all they know its the last one on earth and your paying them to weld it up

re-tap and what ever, which aint gonna take 15min.

You should really call them so your both on the same page. They made it seem like there was a bigger problem so I would def call and find out

how much time they think it will need.