Noisy wheel spacers

tankbob

Spacers are 20mm and hubcentric and when driving it makes a screechy metal rubbing noise, the faster I go the more noise there is. When I apply the brakes the noise changes and gets louder. Spacers are only on the rear and Im running two ford probe wheels(same as 16 inch mustang wheels). Front are shp 8s. In the rear with the spacers on there is some spare lug but the wheels have recesses that the lugs seem to fit into fine.

maybe you're hitting the dust shields? also, maybe the spring clips or something are hitting the wheels.

In the rear with the spacers on there is some spare lug but the wheels have recesses that the lugs seem to fit into fine.

i have no idea what that means. either the wheels fit or they don't. spare lug means what exactly?? can you post pictures, because 20mm spacers doesn't really seem like enough to push the wheels out far enough.

maybe you're hitting the dust shields? also, maybe the spring clips or something are hitting the wheels.

[/font][/color]

i have no idea what that means. either the wheels fit or they don't. spare lug means what exactly?? can you post pictures, because 20mm spacers doesn't really seem like enough to push the wheels out far enough.

With just the spacers on bolted up without the wheels on the lugs stick out from the spacer but the wheels themselves have indented area that the lugs fit in. The wheels bolt up flush to the spacer. Going to check clearance issues right now.

Are those wheels rubbing on your calipers?? What shape are your pads in??

-Robert

What shape are your bearings in.

Not sure what shape my bearings are in and my brakes need to be done Im just waiting on parts in the mail.

*cough* lose the Ford probe wheels *cough*

If your pads have wear indicators, those make noise.

-Robert

They are spares as I ruined one of my shp 9s being stupid. They are horribly ugly but they work until I can get a new wheel.

Checked for clearance issues and nothing hits.

If your pads have wear indicators, those make noise.

-Robert

yeah see if your pad scrapers are hitting. There's not really a whole lot back there that can make that type of noise. also, see if the tire/rim is hitting the brake line or ebrake cable housing, or even hitting the spring perch on the strut

• 3 weeks later...
Spacers shouldnt make any noise. Maybe your car hates its new wheels and is letting you know. lol When you ruined your shp, I'm assuming it took a hit..? Sideways impact? If so it may have caused something else... Check for play on the side that got damaged.
  • Like 1

Spacers shouldnt make any noise. Maybe your car hates its new wheels and is letting you know. lol When you ruined your shp, I'm assuming it took a hit..? Sideways impact? If so it may have caused something else... Check for play on the side that got damaged.

Going to be putting a tire on my new wheel today and hopefully the noise goes away, I also did my brakes last week and those only added noise.

And I drove up a curb like an idiot trying to "drift" so the impact was the curb and my wheel. I dont know how sideways I was when I hit but the car was mostly straight. If the noise doesnt go away what parts of the car could be damaged causing this noise?

Edited by tankbob

most likely bearings, but I doubt it. If it wasnt too hard of a sideways hit it should be fine. If the noise changes when you brake it could be the rotor, maybe a grove cut into it? Idk I would take the rotor off and inspect.

And I know all about messing up on the street. I ruined 2 shp fronts monji-ing a 3 lane strip in Atlantic City, lost it head on into the curb. Not worth the hassle or fines of getting caught. Track days man. Theres one every weekend in Cali.

ok so you hit a curb ,,don't you think you should remove the tire and rim and do a good inspection

I know you said you had the tire off but did not say any thing about doing a good look over

most likely bearings, but I doubt it. If it wasnt too hard of a sideways hit it should be fine. If the noise changes when you brake it could be the rotor, maybe a grove cut into it? Idk I would take the rotor off and inspect.

And I know all about messing up on the street. I ruined 2 shp fronts monji-ing a 3 lane strip in Atlantic City, lost it head on into the curb. Not worth the hassle or fines of getting caught. Track days man. Theres one every weekend in Cali.

Mounted both shp 9s and ditched the spacers, no change. The rotors have been replaced, as have the pads. Im normally pretty tame with my car until Im looking to hoon it and I know Ive got plenty space/wont get caught, but crap happens. The noise does change when I brake, it gets louder as if its also coming from the front. The noise when just driving also only comes from the wheel that took the most impact, Ill take a look at the bearings tomorrow.

ok so you hit a curb ,,don't you think you should remove the tire and rim and do a good inspection

I know you said you had the tire off but did not say any thing about doing a good look over

Rim/tire are both trash, I have replaced both since then. I gave the entire car a look over the next day after the crash and other than banging up my airdam a bit and ruining that wheel everything looked fine, no visible damage to any suspension components. What I havnt pulled apart are my rear hubs to inspect the bearings.

Edited by tankbob

It's OK to do anything in Atlantic City! We've got some track days now at NJ Motorsports park, and the little Englishtown drift course... but it's spendy.

Edited by Fuze

wait so you hit the front or the rear? Jack the car up, take the wheel off, bolt the spacers on to make sure the disk is tight against the hub, then spin it and see what happeneds. Somethings gotta obvious there. Have some one tap the brakes too while your spinning it and see if you can tell whats going on.

wait so you hit the front or the rear? Jack the car up, take the wheel off, bolt the spacers on to make sure the disk is tight against the hub, then spin it and see what happeneds. Somethings gotta obvious there. Have some one tap the brakes too while your spinning it and see if you can tell whats going on.

I have been able to reproduce the sound with and without spacers now, its very quiet but I can hear it, thing is I cant tell where its coming from. The front of the car did hit the curb but my drivers side rear wheel took the full force hit and stopped the car from going up the curb further, I did bend my front wheel a little but has since been professionaly repaired(rear was beyond repair).

Can you tell if it's comming from the front or the rear? Did you check the Ebrake cable and make sure it's not hanging up, or has come dislodged from the rear arms where it's mounted to? Could be pulling the pads in just enough to squeek. I know you said you just did a brake job did you bend the warning tabs out just a bit? Have seen pairs the tabs would hit and squeek in like 100 miles.

have someone ride with you and stick their head out the window to locate the sound.

Awww man up and stick your head out the door ;) Ware glasses and watch for objects that could hit the door ;)