86'er In the California Bay

Starfyter

Hey all, I'm Alex. I live in Vallejo California. I bought my quest in March from a guy in Santa Rosa for $1,600 with 87,xxx on her, which was an alright deal. He was selling because the car has a few rust problems and he got scared. It's pretty much all surface or minor, and the car came with replacement fenders and rocker panels, which is where the rust was worst.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/ig_yarrick/photobucket-16678-1317179340419.jpg

That's a pic of her before I swapped the fenders. The replacements are white, so now I have the fabulous "beater two-tone" going on. The PO had also broken the wiper cowl cover while attempting to look at the rusted out cowl. Thanks to DMNDSTAR87 for getting me a new cowl cover.

So she's in pretty bad shape right now. The firewall is rusted through in a few places, the wiper cowl is almost completely gone, most of the undercarriage components have surface rust, the windshield is cracked and there's a few scrapes on her. Not too pretty, but still functioning.

She's currently up on jack stands with her wheels pulled off for cleaning up. Her bumper cover is also off due to a mishap when coming off a trailer. Took out the air dam. >_<

When I finish the wheels and get my bumper cover back, I'm going to get her back on the road so I can save some gas, (my Magnum R/T averages 14mpg o_0 ) and when I get a little bit of money to spare and a whole lotta time I'm gonna smooth her out and paint her flat black :ph34r:

My overall plans for the car are to make a nice clean "Daily Drifter". Since I live so close to Infineon Raceway and they have wednesday night drifting, I figured it'd be a waste to not take advantage of it. Ideally I'd like to rebuild the shortblock with forged pistons and have the crank and rods done, get a NJV head, trilogy injectors, upgraded fuel pump, hard pipes w/BOV, stiffer clutch, and either a 14g or a 16g turbo depending on what I can get a deal on. I'd like to push 15psi with an end goal of a reliable 225-250hp. Sound like I'm on the right track? I also want to gut the rear and drop in a 4 point cage and racing seats with 5-points. Comfortable? No. Trackable? Yes. :D

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while and have posted a few things already. All I can say is I'm glad I'm on a forum with so many knowledgable and helpful people ;)

Alex

welcome to the club bro and i like how u threw my name in there :D ---as i always say "its not a stupid question if you dont know the answer" so ask away and read as much as possible----there are some smart peeps on this site to help guide you through whatever you decide to do with ur car---

gig out

Edited by JAinsworth
skirting the language filter

Hey!

Welcome to the club!

As far as parts go just be glad you have a widebody and not a flatty, there is only a few differences between an 86 and a 87+ on the flattys most of the suspension and steering components are different too.