TPS "INSPECTION".....pics

Professor Quest

I can tell what subject matter to pick by the PMs I recieve.  "COOL YOUR DUALS".......until we are done. Thanks!  We'll first show you a BAD one.......followed by a GOOD one.  ;) The first pic is the connector. Install the OHM METER leads to the BOTTOM TWO CONNECTORS. The next pic shows the HACKED SPADE TERMINALS. (optional)

I went out and bought the CHEAPEST AVOM (Anolog Volt Ohm Meter) I could find. Pep-boys $9.99. Also available at Radio Shack. This AVOM has ONE Ohm setting. 1K ohm or ONE KILO OHM. That's "Zero to 1000 ohm range". There are two "INSPECTIONS" to perform to the TPS. We will start with the "SWEEP TEST". No, you can't do this test with you high dollar DVOM!!! The first test pic.........as you can see (no hands in pic) is taken at the IDLE position. Don't worry what the numbers say, this test is not about numbers.

Unplug your TPS. With the harness connected to the TPS, Turn it upside down and place it back into the haress holder with the single lead at the top. Connect the AVOM to the TWO LOWER TERMINALS. I used male spade connectors (14 gage) and pulled the insulation off. Take a pair off D-Y-K-E-S and snipe down the spades to make them narrow. The tips of the AVOM leads will slide into the spade openings and give you a GOOD CONTACT. As you can see.....................................

.................the more I open the throttle...........the more the POINTER moves left......which means the RESISTANCE is INCREASING. No, you can't tell in "still shots" but the POINTER is NOT doing this smoothly. What's WORSE........the RESISTANCE should be DECREASING. Right now the ECU is going.....................wt....? ;D

I'm now at WFO throttle. I could adjust the TPS to go to ZERO resistance at this point. But it won't do a bit of good. If this TPS was sending this kind of signal to the ECU.................the car would hesitate.........run like crap........then take off. This TPS is WORN OUT!  Watch the manual........the words....."TPS INSPECTION"  page 14-65 and......."TPS ADJUSTMENT" are two DIFFERANT THINGS. Yes, you do use a DVOM to ADJUST IT! ;)