I have cancer , i also have friends

Shelby

first off no I am not looking for flacking PITTY from you or any one else , and I offer a prayer that you never have to post such news only to have some tail wipe make snide comments

about having to read 40k posts about medical up dates ,, man I pitty you the amount of brotherly

love you radiate is amazing

I have been telling you guys for years I've been on barrowed time,,well looks like the man I getting ready to call in whats his . mainly me

seems my so called lung doctor has not been much of a doc for tha last year or more and any chance I had of beating 3 diff growths is now very very slight thanks doc

I beleave that's a few of my friends out there that may care so I'm making this post , not for

any pitty or $$ or any thing else, I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart

your friend ship and help over the years has been what kept me going many times thru some very

rought spots , I am very PROUD to call you friend

reason I stoped by this silly little forum I found whilei was to find an answer to a problem I was having swaping in the TBI system into this little 86 mighty max pick up back in the late 90's ,

I was a working shop formean for an IMPORT auto repair shop that I had worked in for many years doing every thing to every car on the road, but euro fuel inj cars were my speciality

A Conquest to me is just another car, I can do the same thing with dam near any car on the road

why the was my JOB and I was dam good at it

so no I did not find the answer I was looking for what I did find was a group of guys that were in need of a little fresh blood, some one that could teach them proper ways to trouble shoot a problem any problem ,,the process is the same for every thing realy ,

I lurked around for a long time before I started making comments like don't throw money at a

problem do some basic tests and trouble shooting procedures and ONLY replace parts you can prove

bad

over 90% of every questioned asked on this site was answered the same way,, replace this, then

replace that , repeat till your broke :) honest , to god that is true ask some of the old guys I ain't lieing

one of my first win overs was this punk kid named TUX :) i'l remember his words till I die ,

shut up your just some old man with a truck lol you can't tell us any thing we have a CONQUEST

well to me it's just one of 100's nothing special just a little different

with a smile I said wellTux bring on your little hot rod and find out my little truck will blow

the doors off your big ol Conquest

evenback in the 90's we were looking for ways to improve our system , I was amoung the first to find and research the aussie magna intake, in fact I own the first one to ever get send to the US , but had the bad uck to have two more heart attack and open heart sugery , so I had over a years

convelessance , I have never been a couch potato , in fact doing that would kill me long before any heart or lung problems , so I spend many hours a day trying to pass along a little of what I

had leaned in my life time , some thing I had done all my life , I have trained 100's of mechanics

not braging just speaking the truth , English teacher spelling expert nope,, hell I learned to type here on this site , so I made mistakes and still do , but none of that takes away from my

being an expert in my field ,, typing and spelling i'l leave to you that do not know my job

Edited by Shelby

Sorry to hear your news, many of us have had this terrible disease in our families. However you slice it you've made a lasting impession and helped a lot of people. Personalities clash in life but no matter what, I respect knowledge and someone who takes the time to help other people out. Good luck and GodSpeed.

I have thought long and hard about if I should make this thread or not , but some of the reactions of a few ,ember in the last year or so make it imperiative that I do , some thing my 40+ thousand posts are an attempt to gain some thing

some thing to make me special, look for freedom to do as I please on here,, man those that think such have no idea of

I am .

of all the thousands and thousands of questions I have been asked to help with made by thousands of diff guys ,, NOT once have I ever refused to do my best to try and help , and NOT once did I ever ask for one dine $ in return , the bad thing about doing that is your post count ads up ,, I have made posts that have nothing to do with answering some ones question about a problem , but to me this is my family , one I have given years of my life tring to help in any way I can

I have some saying you are not a mod, you are not this and that,, well they are right I am not a baby setter, nor

am I typing expert but I will say most of what I type you can get the drift of what I am saying,, I see typeo's and

misspelled words daily but I never say a word,, to do so is just showing my ignorance

I am not moderator material , I am how ever the boss, the teacher , I do not waste my time on some one that does not want to learn,, I JUST DO NOT HAVE the time left to waste , I'm the guy that when s*** rolled down the hill I was the one

it landed on , it's been that way all my life , and that job I can handle , may pass out a little BUT HURT in the

process , but an adult don't mind being told to grow up is just another day in a mans life

Sorry to hear about your illness hope you overcome it, cancer isn't necessarily a death sentence as long as you

catch it in time and seek proper treatment. I pray for you and your family that things turn around for the better.

now me being a moderator,, I never ask'd to be one , I was given the position as sort of a reward for effort I hsave made towards building this site and helping make it what it is , the FINEST CAR info site on the internet , not because of the car , but because of the number of great people that make up the site

exactly who is a mod or admin on the site is really no concern of it's members , a mod does not have to own a Conquest ,

they do not have to write up how to's or instruction how to's or any thing else to hold their position,, a great deal of thought went into the picking of each and every member of the mod staff , and as Kev said they should feel insult'd

because a few members beleave they sould have control over what they do not pay for and most in fact contribute NOTHING to the site except their personal opnions , but they are welcome just the same,, but I is not their place to demand this or that,,now pay a $50 join site fee and go right ahead and tell us what you think ,but for free, you take what you get

now I'm stoping , I'm by no means thru but I do not want this to turn into a pissing contest by a few ego hurting guys,,

I just had a few words to say to some of you,, I need not explain my self to those that know me,, but to those that do not know me it seems I do

Sorry to hear about your illness hope you overcome it, cancer isn't necessarily a death sentence as long as you

catch it in time and seek proper treatment. I pray for you and your family that things turn around for the better.

Rany thanks man but this is a death sentence , clear and simple,, , I have lived 28 years past the time of my death,, that's pretty dam good and I'm very grate full for it

Sly you have never been my student , friend yes, family member of a young man I have respected for years , yes

we're both very proud of Chip , and what he's accomplished and father/man he has become

knowing you both has been my privilege

I know in the 4 years I've been a member on this board you have helped me many times, both directly and indirectly through posts I've searched and found your comments. So, for that, I say thanks. Thanks to you and the other members of this board who have all contributed to keeping what is considered by the automotive world an "orphaned" car alive that otherwise may have been forgotten.

Shelby, never got to meet you in person but I feel I know you well from your posts and instructions.

I wish you the best in your fight and keep you and your family in my prayers.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Dave.

PS. when my time comes, I want a little race against that truck of yours. We'll let God decide who's faster.lol

I don't post here anymore, but a friend told me about this, so I stopped by wanted to make sure to let you know how I felt.

I am glad I got to meet you, and I've had much respect for you in the 13 years I've known you. I wish you nothing but the best with your remaining time, and hope as things progress you are not in pain and you are at peace. I lost my grandfather to lung, liver and brain cancer in November, but luckily he went quick, and only started having bad pain the day before he died.

That said, no need to explain yourself or what you've done in your years here. You have helped and been respected by hundreds (if not thousands) of SQers over the years. Getting worked up about a handful of Negative Nancy's seems like a big waste of time to me, especially given the fact you have limited time, and that time is precious. Spend your remaining time with family and others who care about you, and you about them, not worrying about those who don't.

I'm not much of a religious man, so I'll forgo the whole God's will, and "we'll see ya on the other side" thing, but know this... you will never be forgotten. You will always be remembered on this site, and by those you've helped or touched the lives of (like me).

You will be in my thoughts, my friend.

• Like 1

:) Burton , ol man you tell that beautiful lady of your I'm still waiting on that lap dance ;)

don't think she knows how to do it lol

hope you two are well and doing great , it's been a while , but that don't mean you were for gotten

but >That said, no need to explain yourself or what you've done in your years here. You have helped and been respected by hundreds (if not thousands) of SQers over the years. Getting worked up about a handful of Negative Nancy's seems like a big waste of time to me, especially given the fact you have limited time, and that time is precious. Spend your remaining time with family and others who care about you, and you about them, not worrying about those who don't.

...................................................................................................

some peoples actions lately have said different

Mark you know me there's not one person on here that I hold any animosity towards , even those making or trying to make my life miserable , maybe a little sadness and pity for a few but no hard feelings

So sorry to hear the news Sir, you're an inspiration to me and many others on this forum with your input and knowledge of these cars. And you've helped hundreds of us learn, what to do..what not to do and we appreciate everything!

Again, so sorry to hear the news :(

-N8

Very sorry to hear the news. To me you are one of the SQC legendary helpers like Indiana. Like others have said don't be bothered by a few negative butthurt people, you've made a huge lasting impact on the owners of these cars thru the years and always remember that. God knowing how ever long you have left you will always be revered at being a courteous, helpful, and respected individual on this site. I'll speak for everyone that we are all praying for you big time buddy.

i'm pretty good with a wrench, however, i remain your student. i have a lot of respect for you my friend.

Harry l.

Sly you have never been my student , friend yes, family member of a young man I have respected for years , yes

we're both very proud of Chip , and what he's accomplished and father/man he has become

knowing you both has been my privilege

Man this is not the news I wanted to get home from work and read. I was pretty much gathering it from your other posts lately, Shelby. Truth is I'm an @shh0le who has a hard time respecting anyone. I'm ruthless and judgmental. I liked you from day one because you were honest with yourself, just like you're being now. If it's your time it's your time, brother. We'll all be in the same spot one day or another, in one way or another, so I look to the sage advice of some of the most "self-critical" (i.e. honest) people who have ever existed. Carl Sagan said, "For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." I think you embody that quote in a lot of ways. From what I know, you never took an easy out; never copped out, never sold out, never rested on your laurels or claimed any special status. I respect one thing above all else and that's honesty with yourself. It's natural for humans to tell themselves little lies every day, but some people figure out how to fight the urge. You did that and that means you grasped the Universe as it really was, which is the best any of us can hope for in life, vice persisting in luxurious and comfortable delusion. That's to be applauded when it happens, because everyone else is cheating. Thanks, old man. Thanks for the effort in your own life and in all of ours. And don't sweat the $htheads who don't get it.

Edited by chiplee

Shelby:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the time you've spent on this site, being helpful to many people, including myself. I've enjoyed reading your posts for the past 12-13 years. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Shelby, don't let a couple of walkin' sphincters get to you, they're the clueless ones. I've gotta go along with what Burton an Chiplee said tho' an I know that only scratches the surface, an for the record, I've only met you once myself @ Gainesville dragway in '05 when we had a meet there. All good people and you should be proud of your contributions, as for these clueless people we all end up having to deal with, they can just go piss up a rope!!! Much love an respect to you an yours, W.

as I am able I intend to reply to my friends on a more personal note , I have always tried to be honest , that has many times got me in to trouble lol,

hell I bet there is at least over a 100 guys on here that at one time or another that have lock'd horns over trivial things but we out grew it , call it a family pecking order squabble , and just like you and your brothers these little spats create a stronger family group as we mature

the truth is I am the one that gained the most from you all , when it comes to those things that realy matters I'm way ahead of you guys all you got was a little info ile I gained the real things that matter friends an trust