• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

Man you sure do get a lot done quick! Sweet looking engine bay.
So, you have 640 acres to play on out there? Do you have paved roads all the way around? Beefs?
Run's with scizzor's

#22 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:18 PM

View Postspeedyquest, on 24 August 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Let me toss a novel idea into the mix just to muddy the waters. If I hadn't decided to totally remove my turbo's coolant lines I definitely had thought about running the turbo coolant hose off the back port since that ends up going to the same place anyway and I have no heat parts.

your still running a mitsu turbo right? with no coolant lines? curious why you would do that? I think the issue with running it to the rear port would be just recirculating that hot water and not letting it run through the radiator.. I mean the way mine is set up I'm sure a little is always running to the coolant tube to the water pump but when the thermostat opens probably 90% of the coolant in the front port is going to go that way rather than squeeze through the little bypass line. Right?

Posted Image

#23 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:20 PM

View PostBradrock, on 24 August 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

Man you sure do get a lot done quick! Sweet looking engine bay.
So, you have 640 acres to play on out there? Do you have paved roads all the way around? Beefs?

Thanks man, and no we don't own the whole section lol I just live out in the country and while getting this darn thing dialed in I'd rather just stay close to home for when something happens lol. beefs?? not sure hat you mean.. cattle? lol

Posted Image

#24 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

View PostFrom 24 August 2017 - 04:18 PM:

your still running a mitsu turbo right? with no coolant lines? curious why you would do that? I think the issue with running it to the rear port would be just recirculating that hot water and not letting it run through the radiator.. I mean the way mine is set up I'm sure a little is always running to the coolant tube to the water pump but when the thermostat opens probably 90% of the coolant in the front port is going to go that way rather than squeeze through the little bypass line. Right?

Yep still a Mitsu turbo. The real answer is simplicity, your going to get lots of conflicting information but that coolant running through the turbo is not to cool the bearings its only to stop oil from "coking" up the journal bearings. The oil is how it both lubricates and cools itself.

As for running the coolant off the rear port it really doesn't matter if I fully understand how the coolant flows. It would get coolant regardless of if the thermostat is open or not but I wouldn't see an issue with that... I could be wrong though.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#25 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

View Postspeedyquest, on 24 August 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Yep still a Mitsu turbo. The real answer is simplicity, your going to get lots of conflicting information but that coolant running through the turbo is not to cool the bearings its only to stop oil from "coking" up the journal bearings. The oil is how it both lubricates and cools itself.

As for running the coolant off the rear port it really doesn't matter if I fully understand how the coolant flows. It would get coolant regardless of if the thermostat is open or not but I wouldn't see an issue with that... I could be wrong though.

hmmm... never heard of eliminating the coolant thru the turbo. I figured it helped cool it too, I know the oil is what does the real cooling but figured it was there for a reason. and maybe your right with the rear port but I wanted the hot water from the turbo to get dumped into the radiator to cool it back down rather than recycle it back to the water pump still hot.

Posted Image

#26 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostFrom 24 August 2017 - 04:20 PM:

Thanks man, and no we don't own the whole section lol I just live out in the country and while getting this darn thing dialed in I'd rather just stay close to home for when something happens lol. beefs?? not sure hat you mean.. cattle? lol

Heh..Heh.. yes cattle. Around here if you own sections, you are a cattleman.The soil is not good for growing much except grass. ALL types of grass! :) We only have a tiny 20 acre farm & I'm surrounded by beef & fescue.
Run's with scizzor's

#27 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostBradrock, on 24 August 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

Heh..Heh.. yes cattle. Around here if you own sections, you are a cattleman.The soil is not good for growing much except grass. ALL types of grass! :) We only have a tiny 20 acre farm & I'm surrounded by beef & fescue.

haha then yes. Our feedlot is about 5 miles from my house but we do feed a lot of cattle and also farm quite a bit.

Posted Image

#28 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

View PostFrom 24 August 2017 - 04:52 PM:

hmmm... never heard of eliminating the coolant thru the turbo. I figured it helped cool it too, I know the oil is what does the real cooling but figured it was there for a reason. and maybe your right with the rear port but I wanted the hot water from the turbo to get dumped into the radiator to cool it back down rather than recycle it back to the water pump still hot.

Ah sorry maybe I wasn't being very clear, my idea was to go (rear port) --> (turbo) --> (water pump)

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#29 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

View Postspeedyquest, on 24 August 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

Ah sorry maybe I wasn't being very clear, my idea was to go (rear port) --> (turbo) --> (water pump)

Maybe I'm wrong but I assumed the turbo was fed from the water pump --> turbo --> radiator. Now idk who's right or wrong lol

Posted Image

#30 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

It's fed from the intake side. The coolant return to the water pump just like the bypass tube does.

Edit: Nope nevermind I'm totally wrong.

Edit 2: Wait! Am I?! God I'm confused now too and I don't have the flow diagram in front of me.

Edit 3: I'm going to go back to my first impression and say it's fed from the intake side and returned to the pump...

Edited by speedyquest, 24 August 2017 - 05:43 PM.

Posted Image

#31 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

Could be but I figured the outlet on the water pump was the pressurized feed line and the one to the thermostat housing was the return.. otherwise I don't think it would flow from the radiator side of the thermostat up to the turbo.

I'm sure someone will chime in and probably prove us both wrong but oh well lol

Posted Image

#32 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

The outlet of the water pump is into the block, the return from the turbo goes on the low pressure side of the water pump (suction side) and the thermostat housing is the feed to the turbo.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#33 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

Aww yeah, so my idea would work.

Posted Image

#34 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:59 AM

Well now we know haha

Posted Image

#35 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts
  • Interests:2 streaks of fire for 60ft when I leave.

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

200 at idle is no bueno. Im going with fans.

Edited by Funky Phil, 25 August 2017 - 07:41 AM.

10.95@122mph MoFuggin stickshift! https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U

Posted Image

#36 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostFunky Phil, on 25 August 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

Is that really that high after letting it idle and reviving it for a few min?

Posted Image

#37 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:26 AM

View PostFunky Phil, on 25 August 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

Is that really that high after letting it idle and reviving it for a few min?

Posted Image

#38 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,413 posts
  • Interests:2 streaks of fire for 60ft when I leave.

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

What was the ambient temp where your at?

What is your ignition timing?

Edited by Funky Phil, 25 August 2017 - 11:39 AM.

10.95@122mph MoFuggin stickshift! https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U

Posted Image

#39 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:59 PM

View PostFunky Phil, on 25 August 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

What was the ambient temp where your at?

What is your ignition timing?

About 75-80* here, timing is at 10 BTDC, then the rest is controlled by the tune (Scott is tuning it for me). It definitely still needs some tuning work but I made a few half-3/4 throttle pulls today and the car is running decent. Still some hiccups that need to be solved but I think that some of that is caused by the water meth kicking in. Its getting closer

Posted Image

#40 stariondreams

stariondreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

I run a 14 deg base timing. When you run a little more timing tends to have a cooling affect also. 10 degrees base Imo is a safe margin. I say throw some timing at it bet it wake up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users