Restore Steering Wheel

My '88 Starion's steering wheel's "leather" is starting to look like you know what. <_>

I have been thinking of having it recovered with new leather similar to the OEM (if that was even leather).

Has anyone recovered their steering wheel?

If so what did did you use and what did it cost ya?

Thanks in advance. :)

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

I recovered one with Texuede black/ebony faux suede. one piece with a machine sewn seam at the bottom, and the rest had to be hand sewn and also glued on with some 3M Super77. It took me 8 hours total of sewing by hand, but I love the feel of it.

http://26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10030/PC150102.jpg

http://26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10030/PC150103.jpg

The Texuede I got from YourAutoTrim.com, it's $30 a yard, but it's 54" wide, I was able to get this piece out of about a foot of the material (12"x54") with lots of trimmings left off that piece

I don't have this in a car yet, so I can't say how well it will hold up to everyday use, but I'll be putting it through it's paces on the flatty

Derek

Hey Ken, I had mine done at a place in Dallas, perfect. They thickened it, matched the original leather and I chose the thread color. I wish I had Derek's talent, but it's not in the cards for me. If you decide to have someone else do the work, let me know, the cost if I remember, was about $200 or so. I can post pics too.