Wheel Offset and Tire Size (87-89)

KO

Posted By 88 ESI-R

Tire Size  

FRONT: 205/55/VR16 (7" front wheel) or 225/50/VR16 (8" front wheel)  

REAR: 225/50/VR16 (8" rear wheel) or 245/45/VR16 (9" rear wheel)  

Wheel Size  

Front: 7"x16" (7J-16) or 8"x16" (8J-16)  

Rear: 8"x16" (8J-16) or 9"x16" (9J-16)  

Wheel Offset  

Front:  

7"x16" mm (in.) 18 (.7)  

8"x16" mm (in.) 18 (.7)  

Rear:  

8"x16" mm (in.) -10 (-.4)  

9"x16" mm (in.) 0 (0)  

Torque Specifications  

Wheel Nuts  

Nm 90-110  

Ft.lbs. 65-80  

8" front wheel:  

Front back space 5 1/4" (hub to back lip of wheel)  

Front front space 3" (hub to front of wheel lip)  

9" rear wheel:  

Back back space 5" (hub to back lip of wheel)  

Back front space 5 1/4" (hub to front lip of wheel  

• 3 weeks later...
OK I have a wierd set up, I have one tire that says 8"x16" (18), two that say 8:x16" (10), and one that I think says 9"x16"  (0), but that may be a 8"x16" (0) so what goes where, and what size tires go on them?

Ok, wow, this is strange. My car is an '86 (made in April of 86 actually) and it came from factory with 205s in the front and 225s in the back.  But in the title, it shows that the 87-89s had this, so do I just have a weird car or do I actually have an '87 made in '86?  Strange.

Jason

• 2 months later...

If the 10th letter from the left in your VIN is an "H" then you have an '87, and the 86's came with the same tire sizes as the 87's unless you have a flatsider.  Probably already knew that, but what the hay...

Andrew

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The offset of a wheel is what locates the tire and wheel assembly in relation to the suspension. More specifically, it is the measured distance between the hub mounting surface and the center line of the rim. Below is an explanation of the various types of offsets.

Positive Offset

A positive offset occurs when the hub mounting surface is on the street side (the side you see) of the center line of the rim. Most factory rims will have this type of offset.

Zero Offset

When the hub mounting surface is centered within the rim, it is known as a zero offset.

Negative Offset

If the hub mounting surface is on the brake side of the center line of the rim, it is considered a negative offset or “deep dishâ€.

Note that extensive negative offset can potentially cause increased steering wheel kick-back and place additional stresses on the vehicle's entire suspension.

• 1 month later...
will a 245/45/VR16  tire fit on the back of my 87 tsi?

not trying to be a smartarse or any thing, but if you will read the very first post in this thread, it will tell you that the 245/45/vr16 is the stock size for the starion/conquest stock 9" wide wheel. 245 is the overall width of the tire in millimeters.(fully inflated with no load on it) which is 9.65". that's only 3/4" wider than the stock 8.89" wide 225/50/vr16 for the 8" wide rim. so the answer is IF you have the stock 8jX16 or 9jX16 wheels "on the back of your 87tsi"...........yes

• 1 month later...
that would be 94-up Mustang, all 93-older 'stangs had 4-lug wheels, except the 93 Cobra.

Exactly, when ever I think Mustang rims, I think Cobra.  You'll need spacers for the rims to fit right, I think it's like 1/4" for the front and.....dammit I can't think of the rear size....  It'll come to me.

Also, I posted about the Skyline rims fitting. Well, they fit but the backspacing is all wrong....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's a great calculator to figure out how an aftermarket wheel's width/offset will effect your strut/fender clearance.

http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

And here's another one if you want to find out speed and clearance info:

http://gs.tolan-hoechst.com/tirecalc.htm

ok, I have a question.  Where do i find any identifying marks on the wheels to tell me what size rim i have?  I THINK i have the 9" rears on my 88 starion, but i am NOT sure.  I also have another question, if i indeed do have the 9" rears, what size fromt rim should i have 7" or 8"??  My Starion has every option known to man on the car, and i think the 9" wheels are the correct rear ones.  Please help me here as i am not sure.  I tried to measure the rim, but with the tires on it, I canot get an accurate measurment of it, but it did look closer to 9" then 8".  Again any help will be great and thanks in advance.

Ken

There's several ways to tell..

Open your door and look where the latch is. You'll see a sticker that has the weight info and such. It'll say 225/50/16(rear) 205/55/16(front) for the 7's and 8 inch rims.

The 8's and 9's will be 245/45/16(rear) and 225/50/16(front)...

What size are your tires?

Another way, look at the rim. Notice a JMC kind of marking.. This marking will have a square box around it if it's the SHP(8-9's) rims.. The 7-8's won't have a box around the JMC looking mark.

One more ;)...This is the TELL-ALL way of knowing what size the rims are. Take off the rim, on the inside of the rim, on the backside of the spoke will say 16x8j and 16x9j for the SHP's...16x7j and 16x8j for the non-SHP package..

• 2 months later...
Also, I posted about the Skyline rims fitting. Well, they fit but the backspacing is all wrong....

I will be verifying this shortly.  We have 2 r32 skylines and 1 R33 skyline at the shop... (shop cars)  We have advan and 5zigen wheels on both cars.  Both are 17x9, so i will verify how close they are to fitting in the rear....