Cutting stock rims to make wider

Its going to be quite a job getting everything perfectly straight and balanced without special tools and machines. There are places that do just what your describing but its all computerized and done in a way to ensure it is done correctly. I doubt anyone has done this in their garage, but if they did I'm guessing it wouldn't turn out well.

Allen

O yea I was going to ship my rims out and let the pros do it I was wondering if any one done them o starion rims and what's the widdest rim we can fit in the back to take I'm my I have 1 inch drop and I am probly going to roll the back and put some adaptors

Take a look at the random pics thread. Looks like someone definitely had them done already. I was interested in these as well, but he didn't post any info on them yet... They look awesome !

O yea I was going to ship my rims out and let the pros do it I was wondering if any one done them o starion rims and what's the widdest rim we can fit in the back to take I'm my I have 1 inch drop and I am probly going to roll the back and put some adaptors

I have heard of 11's on the rears but Im not sure about the front

I've fit 12's (18's) with a -13 offset on the back of my Durban, the biggest problem your gonna run into is getting tires wide enough for 16's without having a HUGE sidewall without going with non DOT tires. Now if the hoops that are welded to them are 17's, that's a different story

Gavin Bateman, of Bateman wheels over here in NZ did it with a set of widebody wheels. Machined the centers out, and put them into 17" barrels. Not sure what width they ended up at. Looked pretty cool, but I can't find any pictures of them at the moment :-(.

I've fit 12's (18's) with a -13 offset on the back of my Durban, the biggest problem your gonna run into is getting tires wide enough for 16's without having a HUGE sidewall without going with non DOT tires. Now if the hoops that are welded to them are 17's, that's a different story

Listen to this guy, 16s just aren't worth your time because tire selection is bad. Step up to some 17s and the tire possibilities are almost endless.

Found a pic of the ones done over here in NZ. There were some better pictures floating around at some stage when he had them for sale, but They dont seem to be available anymore.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ProZac83/Starion%20Project/ModifiedFactoryWheels_zpse095f2f3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Listen to this guy, 16s just aren't worth your time because tire selection is bad. Step up to some 17s and the tire possibilities are almost endless.

Don't even bother with 17's just step up to 18's as tires in the 17's have started to go the way of the 16's and not to much longer will be in the exact same boat.

• 3 weeks later...

This guy has upsized quite a few 1 piece and 2 piece welded OEM wheels. Asked for a price but he never got back to me and hes also across the ocean so it will prob cheaper to get something in the US

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Indywidual-wheel-Dzidziusbmw-Zbif/435223189880338

484435_458142674255056_1978928797_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Might aswell design your own wheels and have them machined, would cost about the same... I love returning ideas that show up every few years.

A set of CCWs made to your specs is cheaper

Yah you over exaggerating as usual.

Yeah not really and I wish as I have 3 cars wtih 16" rims (stock) and I want more then anything to keep 2 of them 100% stock but still want wide tires....I keep an eye on the market of 16" rims / tires selection at the time (like when wide tires were still being made in 16") and saw it happen. I see the same thing happening with 17's now as I did for 16's would guess in 3 years time 17 goes the same rout as 16"s. Ive got some connections and family pretty deep in automotive industry + just look at cheep rat boxes comming with 17"s and 18"s now anything full sized, cross over, or SUV is 20's and up now stock.......it's not hard to see 17's will soon be gown. It's just supply and demand, and if cars are no longer made with 17"s demand is gown in a short amount of time. Heck just search for yourself on tire sites / local tire shops and see how your choices in compund, speed rating, have dwindled in 17's already.

Edited by jszucs

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Those three piece 17 look like new center castings. Our wheels dont have that much material where the center meets the lips.

I remember those, the centers were CNC'd brand new, just copied the design of the stockers. They were silly expensive.