heres my 4g63 swap

idriftnaked707

the engines in, but i still need to put in the accessories, should be running in about 2 weeks

hope you guys like my flat black murdered out engine

i call this shot the phone home pic. looks like e.t. lol

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/idriftnaked707/engineswap1.jpg

this is how she looks with the covers on, kinda stealthy

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/idriftnaked707/swappic2.jpg

heres a shot of the valve cover

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/idriftnaked707/noholesps.jpg

ill post more as i go

looks good what are you doing about the thermostat housing. I ran mine out the front of the head. I should be starting mine tommorow if all goes well. I also had some trouble with the throttle cable I need to find a shorter one. if you need any help or pics let me know. good luck... Edited by quest96

yea thats the ebay metal intake, but unfortunatley its not going to work since it hits the brake booster, so i need to chop off the rear a little bit and weld a plate so it'll clear the booster. but i actually have a jdm cyclone intake that im sending to bill from 0g, so he can fab it for me.

and on the water outlet, i actually have a kit that is on the head as of an hour ago that i bought from jay racing, looks reallly good.

thanks guys i will for sure need help as i go especially on the vacuum lines and such.

thanks again

David

Your car an 83?

EDIT: nevermind, found it in the showroom. Chromed out blingin grill gave it away.

Kane

LOL... yep... he's blingin HARD. Especially with the headlight switches.

What tranny did you go with??

-Robert

it was a 1/2 off day at pick n pull. i got lucky and found a turbo eclipse and the 89 ram 50. i ended up paying $160 for both engines that day

Nice! What engine management are you gonna use? Im still trying to decide if I wanna do this swap. If I did, it would be 2.4 with gst/gsx harness and OBD2 ecu. I want it smog legal. I will contact you if I do.

PS flatties rule.

im actually using the 1st gen dsm ecu and harness. i actually waas going to see if i can make it smog legal also since im getting a stock intake fabbed to point the way i want it. i just need to talk to someone at a smog place to answer my questions and maybe give me some pointers.

i think a 2.4 would be pretty cool. my next project is going to be a 2.3 stroker if all goes good in my datsun roadster! but that would be next year maybe.

are you going dohc or keeping the sohc head?

im actually using the 1st gen dsm ecu and harness. i actually waas going to see if i can make it smog legal also since im getting a stock intake fabbed to point the way i want it. i just need to talk to someone at a smog place to answer my questions and maybe give me some pointers.

i think a 2.4 would be pretty cool. my next project is going to be a 2.3 stroker if all goes good in my datsun roadster! but that would be next year maybe.

are you going dohc or keeping the sohc head?

See the link right below my sig. If you have questions about getting that setup smog legal, let me know. To get your car smog legal, it needs to have ALL of the emission control devices from the car the engine came out of. Although, I think you may be able to get away with using the Starion charcoal canister. Also, you need to add a MIL(check engine light/malfunction indicator lamp) to the instument cluster. The stock cluster has some blanks in it, so you could possibly add a bulb and check engine symbol. When everything is ready, you have to go to the state referee. They will do an in depth smog check making sure everything matches up(ecu/engine/etc). If they find the car to be legit, you are issued a BAR label which is placed either under hood or in the door jamb. The label lists all the new emission control devices/timing adjustment/discplacement/etc.

I would want to go DOHC by the way. We'll see how long the 2.6l engine lasts stock though. It only has 67,000 original miles on it....

Edited by SFBMX88

oh snap!! i didnt even realize that i was talking to a smog guy. i really dont mean to take away any of your time but do you think i would be able to set a time and day when i have this thing running good, to go out there to your shop so you can take a looksy and maybe help me catch anything that i'm missing?

• 4 weeks later...
it was a 1/2 off day at pick n pull. i got lucky and found a turbo eclipse and the 89 ram 50. i ended up paying $160 for both engines that day

Ahah... damn... what a steal.

Got any pics of how close the engine is to the firewall?? Did you mod it with a BFH?? I noticed your engine mounts in the stock location.

-Robert

• 1 month later...
the metal intake that you see in that picture is for now i guess, i'm having bill hincher from the project zero g forums fab a evo 8-9 intake with a 1st gen flange to fit on my 4g63. the best thing about it is that its going to even have a custom setup for the egr so that i can try and smog legalize.

Awesome stuff. I checked out a few convo's between you and Bill on 0G, sounds close to the same route I'll be taking.

So concerning the engine:

-You said you're running the wideblock 4G63 ... so it's a 2-liter, correct?

-Are you running the wideblock internals with the DSM head, or are you running DSM internals as well?

Great project, definitely keep us updated.

btw, Hurley's car has a legacy around here, being called Wesley Snipes and all. :D

Nice! What engine management are you gonna use? Im still trying to decide if I wanna do this swap. If I did, it would be 2.4 with gst/gsx harness and OBD2 ecu. I want it smog legal. I will contact you if I do.

PS flatties rule.

A personal friend of mine works as a state ref. There is a problem with how the laws in california are written. basically, if you were to take everything out of a 90-99 eclipse and swap it in perfectly, it would still be illegal for two reasons.

1. Your intake manifold wouldn't work, so you'd change it to a front throttle body mounted one in one way or another. Since there are no CARB certified intake manifolds which allow you to do this, it is illegal. Welding the oem intake manifold is illegal as well.

2. The transmission is considered part of the engine assembly. Its not directly written, but basically since you can't use a 4g63t transmission in your car, you can't do it.

also, since the car came with a fresh air valve from the factory, you would have to keep that system in your new exhaust set up. And any aftermarket exhaust manifold/header would be illegal (even an evo 3, not that they could tell AT ALL, but Im talking strictly from a by the book standpoint).

I actually had my buddies 91 eclipse and my 88 conquest at the state ref side by side when I went to talk to him, and thats what he told me. He's been working as a state ref for 13 years.

You might be able to get it certified, but only if the state ref forgets about those two major things, or lets you side, neither of which I see happening.

All I can say is BE NICE to the state ref. Don't act like you know more than him or give him any lip.

My plan was to make my car's swap legal too, but then when I found that out I said f*** it, just get it smogged at the same place I get my talon smogged at and don't let the state know anything about the motor swap.

ps. if the above mentioned issues didn't exsist, you could BAR the motor swap with either the OBD I harness, or the OBD II, although wiring the OBD II harness will probably be harder (since you need to have the OBD port somewhere where the technician can plug into it easily, and that whole electronic vss thing). Since our cars are pre OBD, a technician who doesn't notice the motor swap isn't likely to notice an OBD I port you added either, especially if you hide it well.

Edited by TsTKl

the metal intake that you see in that picture is for now i guess, i'm having bill hincher from the project zero g forums fab a evo 8-9 intake with a 1st gen flange to fit on my 4g63. the best thing about it is that its going to even have a custom setup for the egr so that i can try and smog legalize.

unfortunately, if they notice the welds, your screwed. Hopefully they don't, but since this is there job day in day out, I highly doubt that will happen.

good luck with the swap.