#41 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:39 PM

You can get new wiper motors for $58 on EBAY.. Cardone #43-1114....I got one from ebay and it works perfect...I still had to disassemble the wiper arms and regrease everything there....But the wiper motor is great...

https://www.ebay.com...w9aA0O~&vxp=mtr

#42 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,809 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:16 AM

Nice I need one
thanks for the link.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#43 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

Preludedude, on 29 December 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

You can get new wiper motors for $58 on EBAY.. Cardone #43-1114....I got one from ebay and it works perfect...I still had to disassemble the wiper arms and regrease everything there....But the wiper motor is great...

https://www.ebay.com...w9aA0O~&vxp=mtr

Nice, if this one ever goes out I'll definitely pick one up.
'17 Golf R Daily :: '87 Conquest Racekar
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#44 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

Put the starter in. It works. Car starts. That's about as interesting as it gets.

I'm kidding lol. My roommate was bored and wanted to work on something so he volunteered to replace the starter. Can't say no to that and I'm not big on laying under the car anyways (this car will eventually cure that phobia, I bet).
It sounds completely different but starts right away.

Now aside from the random misfire when it's warm (still need to diagnose, probably just spark plugs, it's not very bad), I'd say the Conquest is actually kinda reliable now. *knocks on wood*

We woke up all the neighbors at 5:30 yesterday heading to Coffee and Cars in Memorial City, which is about a 45ish minute drive. Never skipped a beat. Sad that I didn't see any other Starquests though. :(

Posted Image

I'll be posting up a bunch of pictures for that. If you're interested keep an eye on my Flickr

I wanted to go to another similar style show this morning but didn't wake up early enough lol.

Anywho, next post I'll probably have finished the handbrake cables. Got 2 fresh ones from RockAuto waiting to be installed.

:wub:
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#45 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

Took some time today to assess the situation with the handbrake cables. Not very good.

Started off inside and disconnecting everything here. The seatbelts and center console were kind of a pain to deal with but weren't that bad. The worst part was the cotter pin holding the cable to the lever because for some reason those are the bane of my existence. Yes, I know it's disgusting under here, but rest assured this will get a thorough vacuum by the time this is over.

Posted Image

Once the inside was done I jacked up the rear and noticed the driver's side cable was totally broken off, which allowed me to pull it out from the car easily. Here's a comparison shot. Looks like I got the right part thankfully.

Posted Image

Where it broke. Definitely old.
Posted Image

Anyway, despite the cable being totally out of the car, the wheel was still extremely hard to turn by hand. After taking the wheel off I realized the caliper was seized. Rotor was shot too. Who knows how long that thing was dragging and how I didn't notice it last time I took that wheel off.

Posted Image

Pic of said rotor
Posted Image

I figured I'd check out the other side too. This one wasn't seized to the rotor, however the handbrake lever on the caliper was seized and did not work. I had to cut the cable off altogether because everything was rusty and seized.

Not to mention literally EVERYTHING was completely caked in old dirt and rust, making this a lot harder than it should have been. I understand it's 30 years old, but I'm starting to wonder if this car was sitting in a field for an extended period of time. Most of the underbody is terrible on this thing. Hopefully I can slowly fix most of it over time.

Either way, I'm off to O'Reilly's to order brake parts, so I'll update once those get here. Looks like this car will do some mad handbrake skids once I'm done lol.

:angry:
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#46 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

Brake parts came in.

Everything looks good and should fit. O'Reilly's had everything online except for the brake caliper brackets.

Not a problem though, my step dad recently got a sandblaster.

Posted Image

They might as well be new now.

Just finished up painting the calipers too.

Posted Image

It's gonna be weird running red calipers in the rear only until I get to the fronts lol.

Hopefully can get everything on in the next few days. Will update.

^_^
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#47 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

Not much progress with the brakes, but I got some goodies.

A guy near me was parting out his car and gave me a sweet deal on a set of SHP wheels, with almost new tires and even an extra front wheel. 400 bucks for all of it.

Posted Image

Would've bought his tails too, but sadly they were already taken.

I'll clean these up and throw them on the car once the brakes are done, and later have them refurbished a bit.

In other news, I replaced the spark plugs and it seemed to actually run a little worse. I'd actually have to drive it to be able to tell for sure. More on that later.

:P
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#48 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

Which plugs did you put in it? NGK 7031 plugs seem to run the best in these cars. Nice work so far!
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#49 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:13 PM

TexasQuest, on 11 February 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

Which plugs did you put in it? NGK 7031 plugs seem to run the best in these cars. Nice work so far!

I used NGK 7084's. I think the wires may be bad though.
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#50 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing
  • Model:Starion

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

Hmmmm I always used NGK BP7ES plugs, up until I switched to E3's.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#51 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:32 PM

NGK ME51 plug wires
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

#52 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Finally wrapped up the brakes! Was kind of a pain to get everything together and had to improvise for a lot of hardware but in the end everything works like a charm, including the handbrake, which is what I wanted to fix in the first place lol.
Still stops on a dime like it should too.

Didn't take a lot of pics since it wasn't all that interesting but here's the finished product -

Posted Image

Now I need to do the front to match. Hopefully when that time comes around it won't take forever.

Posted Image

Cleaned up the wheels and threw them on too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Honestly getting these wheels was the best thing I could've done. I'm in love with the car all over again. The gold wheels were really my only gripe about the looks of the exterior and now they're gone.

Side note regarding the spark plug issue - My dum bass left the intake charge pipe unhooked when I started it last and that's why it ran like crap. The spark plugs definitely helps it run better but the miss is still there occasionally. Still going to get new plug wires and eventually injectors to finally get it running right. It still doesn't like to rev out at all.

Anyway, just have to put the center console back together and this'll finally be over with. Next I just want to fix some small stuff. Don't want it stuck on jack stands for 3 weeks every month lol.

:ph34r:
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#53 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

Nice work man, looking good!
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Posted Image

#54 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

Well that didn't last long. Managed to kill my water pump. It's my fault for ripping on it a bit too hard when it wasn't totally up to temp, but if it went that easily I suppose it was time to replace it anyway.
Thankfully I wasn't going very far and it didn't get hot enough to cause any damage as far as I could tell.

Posted Image

On the bright side, it seems like an easy fix and this also allows me to do a much needed coolant flush/system cleaning.

Will update.

:mad:
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#55 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

Still not fixed yet, but some other small stuff going on, so I might as well update.

I ordered a new water pump and it's here, at this point it's pretty much just waiting for me to get off my fat @$$ and install it. So there's that.

Took apart the rear to try and adjust the trunk release cable (if anyone has any insight on a solution to this, please let me know), since it's currently a 2-man job to get in the trunk, and to also remove the lock cylinder and have it rekeyed to my key. It's never worked so hopefully it just needs a rekey. Currently waiting to hear back from the locksmith.

Posted Image
(Also cleaned out the garage again (yay) now that my roommate's dad's Camaro is back home)

And decided to take off that awful 5% tint. It actually came off pretty clean and looks a million times better in my opinion. I literally had trouble driving at night because it was so dark.
Sorry for the crap pics, I'll get some better ones once it's driving again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Rear came out nice but as expected the defroster lines came off with the tint. Oh well, let's hope I never have to use it (I won't :D ).

That's all for now. Now I just need to get that pump installed... -_-
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#56 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:40 PM

I pulled the tint off my first Quest and the defrost lines came off as well.  My Starion looked like it might have actually had a working defroster, but then a tree crushed it and shattered the glass, so that was that.  My replacement hatch had broken tabs to even connect the defroster so .... It's a summer car only anyway.

Great progress, car looks awesome.  :D
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#57 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

View Posttechboy, on 21 March 2018 - 11:40 PM, said:

I pulled the tint off my first Quest and the defrost lines came off as well.  My Starion looked like it might have actually had a working defroster, but then a tree crushed it and shattered the glass, so that was that.  My replacement hatch had broken tabs to even connect the defroster so .... It's a summer car only anyway.

Great progress, car looks awesome.  :D

I feel ya. Down here in TX I only use it a couple times a year anyway so not a big disappointment lol.
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#58 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:17 PM

"I live, I die, I live again!" - The Conquest

Back on the road again, finally.

The water pump replacement was actually really easy, despite having no idea what I was doing. TL;DR - Fan out, radiator drained and out, belt off, pump unbolted, replace pump, put everything back, Robert's your father's brother.

Some pictures, as always -

Fan shroud taken off, showing off that Mercedes-Benz fan the PO added, it'll move some air.
Posted Image

Pump out and the area around got a good cleaning shortly after.
Posted Image

New pump and old one side by side. There's some minor differences but it bolted right up.
Posted Image

Posted Image

New one in. As usual the hardware was all over the place but it's on and sealed.
Posted Image

And all back together. Engine bay still needs a thorough clean up in more ways than one.
Posted Image

After letting the RTV cure for a couple days, I took it out for a test drive this evening and all was good. Never got above 1/3 on the temp gauge. I'm just glad I managed to not screw it up.

As for the trunk lock situation, that'll be a no for now. The locksmith couldn't even get it apart it was so bad, and new ones are only available from the dealer.
However, the whole reason I was back there in the first place was to figure out how to adjust the release cable. There was no obvious was to adjust it from the rear (it may by the seat, but there's little to no access with the seats still in the car). Had to ghetto rig it a little by just moving the fork up the spring, but surprisingly that did the trick. It opens every time now. That fixes that I guess :lol:

Posted Image

Anyway, that's it for now. Until something else breaks. Fingers crossed I get to actually drive it a little.

-_-
@TheRealCaptainSlow

#59 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,809 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:42 AM

as far as water pumps go the new one is designed better. the impeller design is supposed to flow more fluid efficiently and better.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#60 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:28 PM

Up next - Need to fix this misfire.

Already replaced the spark plugs a while back to no avail. This time I purchased a tune-up kit from RockAuto that included new spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Sadly the wires TexasQuest recommended are out of stock everywhere. Spoiler alert - It didn't fix it.
I figured it was the spark plug wires because the connector on the spark plug side for the cyl 1 wire came off when I changed the plugs. Figured a bad crimp would make a bad connection, I guess that wasn't the case.

Anyway, pics as always -

At least the wires aren't red anymore
Posted Image

Yeah the zip tie looks dumb but being a universal kit the wires were too long and would hit the fan otherwise.

The old rotor and cap still seemed pretty new, but I replaced them anyway.
Posted Image

Still gotta tinker with it and figure out what's causing it. Thing is it will only misfire after the car is up to temperature, and I haven't checked to see what cyl it is or if it is even a certain one. Any and all suggestions/advice would be appreciated, since I still have no idea what I'm doing.

:wacko:
@TheRealCaptainSlow

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users