Well, those that know me know I tend to be contrarian, like to test things and am a sucker for data. So when I saw the testing E3 had done, the equipment they used and the results they got I had to try a set. I'm sure you can go to the website to get all the specific test information so I'm not going to go into all that. They used the same equipment I've been using for decades to measure the kinds of compounds I've been measuring, although I've never needed to do it in a combustion gas stream, so I could relate to the procedures and magnitude of the differences. In a nutshell they got better combustion using their plugs, of course, including reduction in NOX (lower overall combustion temps) and lower HC, CO which means better efficiency. Worth a shot, no?

After the 2012 Little Rock meet I swapped the head on the flatty for a new M28 ebay special and also installed the E46 E3's. Now, over a year later and at least 12,000 miles we have....

http://picturehosting.com/images/oblique9881/e3s.jpg

Zero problems, car runs great, just pulled the plugs because I'm leaving tomorrow for North Dakota and I'll be putting another 4K on the car. In order, left to right, 4, 3, 2 and 1. Odd yellowish color on 1 and 2, 4 is a bit darker than the others but otherwise a nice even beige coloration showing normal combustion. Wire brushed them off and stuck them back in. I did get another mile or two to the gallon after the swap but I couldn't say if it was the plugs or the head swap as the old valves had quite a bit of buildup on the backside of the intakes.

I'm also running the same plug on my COP/MPI fatty, there hasn't been near as many miles but its the same story, perfect operation up to 15 psi which is as much boost as the fatty gets right now. Starts without touching the throttle, idles perfect and the fatty has swappable ignition systems so I've run them on the classic transistor controlled ignition and on a CDI multi-strike box. Both work excellent.

Bottom line, I haven't found a downside.

The are not adjustable in gap, although I assume E3 would tell you there is no need to adjust gap. They are shaping the charge kernel, you can see that from the high speed camera in cylinder stuff they provide. I honestly think they'd be worth the effort for a high boost guy to try, I'm just not that guy right now.

I've been running the #46 E3's for a long time, they are great. They are similar to RX-7 leading plugs, they are a similar design with a caged electrode.

• 9 months later...

I guess the E3 plugs have a 5 year warranty. I had the whole set swapped out.

It idled a little bit smoother with the E3s until the one broke. Other than that, at 13psi, no differences. It SEEMS like with the NGK BPR6EY-11 plugs I have less noise in my electrical system. I'll take more logs and report back once I get the E3s back in there for comparison.

I have no idea on mileage effects since I am trying different gasolines first, for power. I'll check mileage after that.

//edit: IW, I think it might have been launch control.

Edited by button

• 3 weeks later...
I don't have much experience using different plugs in these car I just always run OEM in mine. I don't have anything with any major performance mods. But my experience working at a service technician for Honda that they don't like a lot of non OEM plugs. Again, I don't have experience with performance builds.