Goes Like Hell

strang3majik

Hey guys...have made pretty good progress with this car. Doesn't look like it, but, now, everything is up and working as it should. Running great, running cool, shifting smooth, clutch is starting to grab more...lol stops like hell 2 (4 wheel disc) brake upgrade is complete and in working order.

Everything is pretty good :P Figured I'd update with some more pictures though. :D

I'm planning on sanding on it this weekend, and hopefully having it primed by next week (if all goes according to plan). Then, after the supercharger upgrade :ph34r: then, she'll get painted. (as you can tell, I've already pulled a lot of exterior stuff off in preparation)

I have all the interior stuff, minus a new carpet...so...once I'm able to drop the coin for that, I'll get the interior all together.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC02156.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC02192.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC02200.jpg

and, with the new 17" wheels :)

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/redbrakes.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/sweet.jpg

So, is she coming along alright? Considering it looked like this when I got it...lol

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/DSC00894.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t134/d0d63r4m/PICT0292.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah...I like the sante fe blue. Only made 800 in 85 that color, and, much less that were the carburated cars. (ie, mine)

And, no...just supercharged. You have to change harnesses and computers and everything just to turbocharge it, and, I'd rather not hack into it too much. However, with a supercharger, I reuse the stock logic module to control timing, and just dump the electronic crap carb and go to a full mechanical, and have a suck through setup. (carb before the supercharger).

I'm using an Eaton M62 supercharger off of a GM 3800V6. Was going to use an M90...but...figured that'd be a little large for a 2.2...lol It'd be flowing just about as much air as the engine...haha.

And, I plan on chopping a coil off all the way around...should set it down on the wheels and get rid of that truck look some. Also, compared to the stock wheels...it looks a ton better in person. Actually makes it look half descent :P

and...not sure what you mean my donked...but, it reminds me of a tonka toy some...lol

AH, I thought the GLH was turbo, or am I thinking of the GLHS

car is coming along nicely though

yeah...she's coming along :P Nailed it in 1st gear the other day and thought the clutch was slipping...turned out, there was a little black line following me...lol FWDs are weird like that.

But...the GLH was a Hi-Performance n/a engine. Carbed with a decked block raising compression to 9.6:1 (vs the usual 8:1), giving it 110hp and 130ish lb/ft torque at the wheels. (in the day, that was a lot...lol) But, also had beefed up tranny and suspension, as well as the 5-lug wheels and all...all that in a 2000lb package.

now...the GLH-T (Goes Like Hell - Turbo) was a turbocharged version of the above. It had 145hp.

Then...the GLHS (Goes Like Hell Some'more) which was turbocharged and intercooled and made 175hp (ran 14s in the quarter on street tires). These were the experimental cars for shelby's parts. Everything they put on these cars is in the Shelby Daytonas later on (the GLHSs were the guinea pigs for the technology)

But...if anyone is interested...

here's the window sticker and all that the lady I got it from (original owner) passed on...lol

She told me she has the dealer booklet featuring the car as well, and she'll give it to me when she finds it.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/BuildSheet-1.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/WindowSticker.jpg

21 and 30?!?!?!?! Man I hate you. :)

Can you pass inspection with just one mirror? I'd almost like to see just a driver side mirror and no passenger.

Coming along nicely though man, I say clean up those stock wheels and run 'em, I always liked that style.

Can you pass inspection with just one mirror? I'd almost like to see just a driver side mirror and no passenger.

My festiva came from the factory with only a drivers mirror. The passenger side was a option.

Looks good I love fast econoboxes.

21 and 30?!?!?!?! Man I hate you. :)

Coming along nicely though man, I say clean up those stock wheels and run 'em, I always liked that style.

lol...and, yes, you can. To this day, a passneger side mirror is not mandatory, however, car companies install them because they look better with them, and, it does help. But...I like the symetrical look from the front...lol...so, sorry man...putting both back on. Also, that was part of the GLH package.

But...as far as the wheels...I'm suprised no one likes them. I'll admit, if I were going out and paying a grand for some wheels, I would have preferred a 5 spoke style...but, for $60 at the local yard, and $10 in dark grey mettalic (they're actually gray, not bronze...lol)...but, I think I did alright :P And, the tires were free as well...lol

I'm not a fan of the stockers actually, though. They are just to plain for me, and, you can't see my hard work behind them (4 wheel disc :D ) Also, I think this car needs something a little bigger to give it some stance.

But...thanks for the compliments everyone...any little compliment on an Omni project is a good thing...haha. You don't get many, in other words. Should be terrorizing the local streets for the first time in 15 years, here shortly.

Also...I wanted to mention the beauty of a Florida car. This car has 125k miles on it, and has been sitting for 15 years, never so much as even having the door opened. And, I was underneath of it yesterday, the floors are as clean and shiny as the ones on my dads 2003 Ram. Unbelieveable....if only my Quest was in the same condition :(

Well knowing you only paid that makes them a little more appealing. :D

lol...I was in the yard while I see this 80s Ford Thunderbird going by me on a forklift, and I saw the wheels going by on it...figured I'd go and check them out, and, sure enough...the universal center had the right bolt pattern, and, for $15 a piece for aluminum wheels, we couldn't go wrong. And, a buddy of mine isjz about his tires having perfect tread, so, I got his old ones from him for nothing :P

and, if you want me to be honest...I don't know if I could ever bring myself to spend a bunch of money on wheels...especially for the Omni. I mean, its a cool car and all...but, paying more for wheels than the car is worth wouldn't make sense. lol

Hell...I'm going to have trouble bringing myself to drop the $350 just to tag it (yay Florida's new registration and tag prices)

Edited by strang3majik

I like the wheels, they just need smaller profile tires, and it needs lowered to pull them off really well

and for some reason I love how it looks in this pic...

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/sweet.jpg

I don't know why, but that shots makes me like the peeling clearcoat, haha kinda fits the car

+1. Not a fan of those spoke racerboy rims. That's awesome you still have the sticker! It's cool reading all the the little tidbits of a rare car.

To each his own :P

I don't think they look racerboy...moreso just make it look good. It needs some bigger wheels than the stock 15s so it looks better. I mean, the Omnis are ugly, have to make them look better somehow...haha.

But...as I said, if I was going out to blow a bunch of money for wheels, I would have gotten a 5 spoke style in the same size, maybe offset enough to have a slight dish...

but...for $60 with tires...I think I did okay :D

Yep, I took a shot there, oh well.

Keep it up on that thing man, I love those ugly little cars. :D

haha...believe me, I was going to do it...until I got the car and was looking at the bolt pattern thinking...man that looks small...

and, small they are...lol

And...it'll be done very very soon. I can't stand the Conquest right now, so, this Omni will be my daily once its done.

Nice. How'd the interior clean up!

lol...well......

the original interior was shot. The seats were perfect, but, dryrot...

so...I got a descent interior out of a junkyard Omni for the time being...but...I may have a set of Shelby Charger seats here shortly (same seats as stock, but with the Shelby logo in the headrest).

The dash is amazingly in perfect condition as well...

only problem is, mice chewed the vacuums for the a/c box under the dash. Didn't touch a single wire, as everything works, but, decided to naw on all those vacuum lines...fools...lol

Only thing I need is a carpet, though.

Glad to see one being resurrected. I had a buddy in high school, that right after graduation, flew out to pick up a GLHS from the factory. He learned to drive stick on the way back. He bought car #75 I believe it was. I don't know if he still has it, but it was a ton of fun! Nothing better than smoking a Mustang in an Omni!!!! Yours is starting to look good. Just lower it a tad and things will be great.