restoring seats

willmoodom

• 1 month later...
How difficult and expensive is it to re-upholster the stock seats? I like the leather but cloth would be fine too.

I have been pricing some upholstery shops. So far I have a price of $800.00 for vynl and $1600.00 for leather. I didn't check on cloth. This seems quite high to me. I wish a good quality shop would offer these covers to board members at a decent price. I would think once they had some good patterns to go by, they could turn them out fairly quickly.

I just received another quote. $1000 for the front buckets in leather. I think this is more in line. Does anyone else have any prices they paid for upholstery work?

• 2 months later...
Leatherseats.com makes great replacement leather sets for the 3000GT/Stealth. I'm sure if we had enough interested, we could get them to make a pattern for Starquests. Once they have the pattern, they have loads and loads of options for materials and colors. I think all the leather for a 3/s is about 800 maybe 900. And its great stuff, lots of good reviews on 3si. Just a thought, maybe someone wants to shoot them an email? You have to install the leather yourself, but its fairly simple and straightforward.

• 5 months later...
I have my money all set aside for my seats. Does anyone near the Delaware area have a shop they would recommend. What's a good price for the fronts in leather?

I could offer a group buy,but I doubt there would any interest.

People will paint them,mod the drivetrain or suspension,add a stereo system and even rims but open the doors to old wore out interior...lol

Cloth seats in price would be between the vinyl price and leather.

$800 for a full front/rear would be about right.These are some very hard seats to redo.

Leatherseats.com makes great replacement leather sets for the 3000GT/Stealth. I'm sure if we had enough interested, we could get them to make a pattern for Starquests. Once they have the pattern, they have loads and loads of options for materials and colors. I think all the leather for a 3/s is about 800 maybe 900. And its great stuff, lots of good reviews on 3si. Just a thought, maybe someone wants to shoot them an email? You have to install the leather yourself, but its fairly simple and straightforward.

these seats would not be easy to install.These seats are a Pain in the arse to take off and put back on.

I could offer a group buy,but I doubt there would any interest.

People will paint them,mod the drivetrain or suspension,add a stereo system and even rims but open the doors to old wore out interior...lol

Cloth seats in price would be between the vinyl price and leather.

$800 for a full front/rear would be about right.These are some very hard seats to redo.

I am guilty of that. The interior is usually the last thing I worry about. These cars have such a cool interior, it's a shame not to have it at it's best.

Edited by METZ

• 2 weeks later...

This is long overdue. I am tired of trying to convince my woman that racecars have ratty seats.. Not ripped, but old cracked 'non -miniskirt- friendly. How am I gonna get that pimpish feel with bad raggedly seats :(

HALP!

• 3 weeks later...

even a 1000 is DAMN cheep for the both front conquest seat to be redone in leather... the hides i use alone are 5-600 bucks each.. the starquest seats are kinda a pain and unless youve done upholstery work before, i dont think this would be a good first learning experiment!! personally i would never make a kit for these cars... ive got patterns from my stock seats but if you want em to perfect you still need to check the fit along the way due to seat variance.. for aftermarket covers and unconcerned buyers im sure theyd be close enough, but for someone who loves their conquest..... if its not done right its gonna bug ya forever..

you only get one shot to do it right the first time... make sure you do or the person that is doing the work has that same mentality or youll wind up with disappointment.

a wise man once said- its not cheep to be cool!!! a different option might just be to get a set of aftermarket seat!!!

Edited by j-hanson

do they even make kits for the conquest??? if they do id make real sure the kit matches the stitch patters on stock seats...ive seen a number of kits from them that are new covers, but they dont always match the original seat cover design.. if youre only getting fronts keep this in mind.. also the leather they use is not a match to the stock leather grain. katzkins covers fit ok on new seats but on worn in seats it usually takes a good amount of work adding, and shaping foam.. plan on needing a steamer to get wrinkles out and tighen everything up if you do em on your own..

• 4 months later...

I finally got these seats redone. I just put them in and I am not happy. I let the upholsterer match the leather to my back seat and it doesn't look good to me. I should have picked it myself and checked the material before it was cut & sewn. Let me know what you guys think.

Edit,

Pictures are now in my gallery, and the upholster fixed my headrest.

Edited by METZ

hey they dont look to bad....where did you get them done??? sapps in milford??

They were done at Straders on Greenwood road. I guess my picture taking is not to good because in person the color does not look right at all. I also posted in BS section and no one there can see a problem either. Maybe I'm too picky.

I think they look good. You'll never be able to match them 100%, may get lucky with 80%-90%. I would ask the guy, after you let him squirm a bit, to give you a deal on doing the rears to match (like material only, labor free). It would be better for him than replacing EVERYTHING (material and labor) especially knowing how the economy is today. You may get lucky and get a cheap match 100%.

My two pennies.

sa89

Edit: and besides, you've known the guy and his work for some time, why ruin a relationship?

Edited by silverarrow89

I think they look good. You'll never be able to match them 100%, may get lucky with 80%-90%. I would ask the guy, after you let him squirm a bit, to give you a deal on doing the rears to match (like material only, labor free). It would be better for him than replacing EVERYTHING (material and labor) especially knowing how the economy is today. You may get lucky and get a cheap match 100%.

My two pennies.

sa89

Edit: and besides, you've known the guy and his work for some time, why ruin a relationship?

Thanks, I may try that and see what he says.

Bob

hey Metz,

i've seen a bunch of pics where the head-rests are more of a solid pillow.

yours have that open section in the middle

they're kinda an open head-rest.

do those seats have a Particular name?

i'm trying to track down a set of these seats

but

with

cloth center section and leather sides.

hey Metz,

i've seen a bunch of pics where the head-rests are more of a solid pillow.

yours have that open section in the middle

they're kinda an open head-rest.

do those seats have a Particular name?

i'm trying to track down a set of these seats

but

with

cloth center section and leather sides.

The seats with the open head-rest are from 88-89 cars, there is no special name for them.

The ones with the cloth in the middle WILL be very hard to find......

Zack

-from the pics you posted-

-headrests look kinda jacked, but overall the rest is ok. seams are off a little on the seat, and it could use a good steam it looks like to tighten up that slack in the seat backs, but overall pretty ok.

-is that real leather or ultra leather??

-if you got em done for about a grand, you got a good deal and shouldnt even think about asking for free labor on rears... if you paid top dollar for em, and they told ya theyd be perfect, then you can go back in and politely demand they fix stuff and hook ya up on the rears..

my .02

josh