In need of torque tube shaft(worn out ok)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:17 PM

View Postct.rm250, on 14 March 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

4140 40 rockwell is not hard enough. Stock torque shaft is 60 Rockwell and it is not 4140
Since you know what it is. You may as well tell me what it is? Your input is appreciated. If changes need made l am up for it. My testing must be different from yours but l have been wrong before.This can be made out of anything we want it to be. Stronger is better but not to brittle to where its gonna crack and chip.It is alot of work to get this accomplished so let's get it right. This is the #1 reason to make this for myself first and prove them out.

Thank you
Dra

Edited by croquest87, 14 March 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#22 ct.rm250

ct.rm250

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

I don't know what material it is but it is NOT 4140 as the tube is for certain 60Rockwell hardness and you CANNOT heat treat 4140 to 60rc. There is a reason they made them 60 Rockwell. It's not too brittle, that's what the stock ones are. I used a calibrated hardness tester at the machine shop I work at. If I had to guess the shaft is made from 4340 as that is a common steel for splined drive shafts. I can absolutely guarantee you the stock tube is 58-60 Rockwell I made a flat on my old shaft and tested it at least 5 times.

Graham
86097844for8

#23 ct.rm250

ct.rm250

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:05 AM

The hardest that 4140 is typically heat treated to is 40-45 rockwell. Anything over 45 is not recommended for 4140 because 4140 specifically becomes too brittle over that level. There are other metals out there like s7 shock steel that they make punches out of, and that material is typically treated to the 60rc range for a punch, and it does not shatter when hit with hammers, etc. My guess would be a 4140 40rc shaft would have the splined rounded off in short order as it just won't be hard enough.

#24 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

Gonna do some re testing of the material  perhaps our machine was off for some reason.Thank you for the input. Perhaps l send a sample some place that specializes in material testing.

Edited by croquest87, 23 March 2019 - 10:54 PM.

#25 Ressurect1on

Ressurect1on

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:01 PM

Well.. there's the Drive shaft shop option, just need interest, a part to get the dimensions on,  and 50 orders to get him to make a run.

#26 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:18 AM

That's also good option. Only  thing that l am concerned is that torque tube housing acts as support for the rear end as it is bolted to it and also as center support. So something will need to be fabricated to compensate for that part l would think to make the rear end sturdy. Build one for yourself and post your results after using it for a while. That could be permanent solution. People dont like to mod things after they pay good money for it.It has to all fit perfect to avoid backlash if you sell them to the crowd.

Edited by croquest87, 26 March 2019 - 07:20 AM.

#27 Ressurect1on

Ressurect1on

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:07 PM

this is to make the parts your talking about, not just the driveshaft and eliminate the tube, they actually do a lot of products driveline wise, including CV axles.

If you'd like to pick up where i left off, send them an email with ATTN Frank.

#28 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:25 PM

K cool man thank you. We have couple of options. Will see what l can come up with.Sure would be nice to eliminate splined couplers for good.

#29 Ressurect1on

Ressurect1on

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:38 PM

well, i was thinking, technically, the setup is a torque tube, the rear diff is stationary in the vehicle, you could fabricate a bracket for the third mounting point to eliminate torque lift. and do a shaft all the way to the back if you wanted i suppose.  

so multiple options like you said.

#30 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:37 AM

Just on update.

After considering all options. I will stick w making the couplers. Only thing that's holding me back is the prices companies charge for splines cutting (3 splines ) so l will come up w alternative way to get this accomplished. Set up time and tooling is what adds up along w multiple ops involved. I am determined to make this happen.

Dra

#31 Ressurect1on

Ressurect1on

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:00 PM

any additional update to this? have any prototypes?

#32 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:18 PM

Yes still working on it.Material testing is in process as we speak. Wanna make sure it's of the same material as stock or better before and after heat treat . Soon l will have some on my cars for good amount of more testing w driving  burnouts and all. I will accept no less than stock quality on this and will not sell it to you till it meets or exceeds my expectations in order to avoid negative feedback of any sort. Material is pre cut and pre drilled for 5pcs each just waiting on material final tests and all. After that it's a green light for machining welding and proper heat treat.

Material saw cut and pre drilled https://imgur.com/a/cOSZItl

Dra

Edited by croquest87, 30 May 2019 - 09:38 PM.

#33 Contsis

Contsis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:07 AM

Nice! Good to hear.
So you are fabricating 2 pieces, the coupling  and the spline?
We'll be able to reuse the actual shaft? Those gears don't get warn out.
Just want to understand as mine have some play and I would like to replace the warn pieces.

Thanks

#34 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

Coupler  for the shaft and  splined gear that bolts to the rear end . Original slip coupler will get machined from the shaft to slip fit diameter that it was originally sliped on and welded. New one will be slip fitted and welded just like stock.     Splined gear on rear end will simply need bolted on like stock.  They will mate just like stock. Once all proven  l will have bunch made that way  only thing you will need to ship to me is your old shaft. Once l get yours in  l will send you one that l already made along w new splined gear. I will also offer complete torque tube assembly  rebuilt w new bearing and option of having a grease fitting so that  your couplers will always stay greased.
Dra

Edited by croquest87, 31 May 2019 - 07:42 PM.

#35 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:27 PM

SWEEEET, can't wait!
Posted Image

#36 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:49 AM

nice! cant wait!

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#37 ct.rm250

ct.rm250

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:03 PM

Wait, so you're not making the actual shaft? I'm confused as to what pieces you're making here. Not the long torque tube shaft that's like 16 inches long? Just the small splined end piece? Post a picture of the stock pieces you are remaking please

#38 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:46 PM

https://imgur.com/a/sVLl0aw

Third picture down is the original splined cup removed. New one will be made and slip fit like stock and welded like stock to the shaft.  New splined gear for the rear end will be made also. Simple and effective.  Sure there are other ideas and ways but this one is simple enough for the average starquest owner to replace old worn out components w out re designing the whole thing. Anyone wanna offer something different? Go for it! It would give us onother option . At this time we have none.Other than retrofitting to some other cars part that are of inferior quality and very limited availability and such +the cost + doing it.It all adds up quick as custom anything like that is most likely worth more than your avarage starquest.

Dra

Edited by croquest87, 07 June 2019 - 10:06 PM.

#39 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:23 PM

nice work! looks amazing

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#40 shadow89

shadow89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

Great work. Thank you for doing this. Very interested when it's all done. I have the thumps in between gears after doing full poly.

Edited by shadow89, 08 June 2019 - 04:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users