In need of torque tube shaft(worn out ok)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:17 PM

View Postct.rm250, on 14 March 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

4140 40 rockwell is not hard enough. Stock torque shaft is 60 Rockwell and it is not 4140
Since you know what it is. You may as well tell me what it is? Your input is appreciated. If changes need made l am up for it. My testing must be different from yours but l have been wrong before.This can be made out of anything we want it to be. Stronger is better but not to brittle to where its gonna crack and chip.It is alot of work to get this accomplished so let's get it right. This is the #1 reason to make this for myself first and prove them out.

Thank you
Dra

Edited by croquest87, 14 March 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#22 ct.rm250

ct.rm250

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 08:58 AM

I don't know what material it is but it is NOT 4140 as the tube is for certain 60Rockwell hardness and you CANNOT heat treat 4140 to 60rc. There is a reason they made them 60 Rockwell. It's not too brittle, that's what the stock ones are. I used a calibrated hardness tester at the machine shop I work at. If I had to guess the shaft is made from 4340 as that is a common steel for splined drive shafts. I can absolutely guarantee you the stock tube is 58-60 Rockwell I made a flat on my old shaft and tested it at least 5 times.

Graham
86097844for8

#23 ct.rm250

ct.rm250

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:05 AM

The hardest that 4140 is typically heat treated to is 40-45 rockwell. Anything over 45 is not recommended for 4140 because 4140 specifically becomes too brittle over that level. There are other metals out there like s7 shock steel that they make punches out of, and that material is typically treated to the 60rc range for a punch, and it does not shatter when hit with hammers, etc. My guess would be a 4140 40rc shaft would have the splined rounded off in short order as it just won't be hard enough.

#24 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

Gonna do some re testing of the material  perhaps our machine was off for some reason.Thank you for the input. Perhaps l send a sample some place that specializes in material testing.

Edited by croquest87, 23 March 2019 - 10:54 PM.

#25 Ressurect1on

Ressurect1on

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:01 PM

Well.. there's the Drive shaft shop option, just need interest, a part to get the dimensions on,  and 50 orders to get him to make a run.

#26 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:18 AM

That's also good option. Only  thing that l am concerned is that torque tube housing acts as support for the rear end as it is bolted to it and also as center support. So something will need to be fabricated to compensate for that part l would think to make the rear end sturdy. Build one for yourself and post your results after using it for a while. That could be permanent solution. People dont like to mod things after they pay good money for it.It has to all fit perfect to avoid backlash if you sell them to the crowd.

Edited by croquest87, 26 March 2019 - 07:20 AM.

#27 Ressurect1on

Ressurect1on

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:07 PM

this is to make the parts your talking about, not just the driveshaft and eliminate the tube, they actually do a lot of products driveline wise, including CV axles.

If you'd like to pick up where i left off, send them an email with ATTN Frank.

#28 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:25 PM

K cool man thank you. We have couple of options. Will see what l can come up with.Sure would be nice to eliminate splined couplers for good.

#29 Ressurect1on

Ressurect1on

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:38 PM

well, i was thinking, technically, the setup is a torque tube, the rear diff is stationary in the vehicle, you could fabricate a bracket for the third mounting point to eliminate torque lift. and do a shaft all the way to the back if you wanted i suppose.  

so multiple options like you said.

#30 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:37 AM

Just on update.

After considering all options. I will stick w making the couplers. Only thing that's holding me back is the prices companies charge for splines cutting (3 splines ) so l will come up w alternative way to get this accomplished. Set up time and tooling is what adds up along w multiple ops involved. I am determined to make this happen.

Dra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users