#1 rehoward

rehoward

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motorcycles, music
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 05 September 2020 - 11:48 PM

Hi, fairly new guy here, or at least a new Conquest owner.  I have been on this forum for at least a year now.

I received my "new" used 1988 Conquest a few weeks ago and an now going through it.  Engine has sat for a while so I pulled the spark plugs and shot a bit of Mystery Oil into each cylinder for lubrication.  Charged the battery to 100%.  Hit the starter key on the steering column and the car went "tink" once before the dash voltage gauge went down to zero.  All gauges went to zero.  No crank, no nothing.  Just zero.  So I switched the key off and tried again.  Same story.  Dash gauges come up but as soon as I try to crank the engine everything goes dead.

It looks like there must be a main power relay/circuit breaker that is being tripped off for some reason.  The battery recovers fairly quickly but there has been an obvious drain on it even for such a short connection time.  Starter didn't even begin to engage during this test.  Is there a main power relay/circuit breaker that resets itself?  I don't know where to start.  Obviously a large current drain in the start circuit, I guess?

Thanks for the help.

Randy

#2 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,569 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 September 2020 - 06:13 AM

Maybe the fusible links near the battery.    Those are notorious for corrosion and causing electrical issues.   Remove and clean them.

#3 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:17 PM

Solenoid could be stuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users