• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

OK, been promising I'd get this done and with a break in the weather (relative for North Dakota, it was actually raining today, January 30th) I got a chance to put these on my winterized Starion MPI fully sequential injection and ignition.  The purpose is twofold, first the regular COP (coil on plug) system I offer does take up some space and cannot be run IF you are running a big compressor as the compressor diameter interferes with the coil pack mounting plate.  Second, if you ARE running a big compressor then you're running big boost AND you need the absolute best coil option out there to prevent spark blowout and provide solid inductive spark.  These coils have been through rigorous testing and have only been beaten by the ProMag 44 coil which pulls 44 amps and costs around $700 apiece, meaning all the other options have been left in the dust by these coils.  These coils are what runs the Huber Mustang, http://www.mustangan...ged-4-cylinder/ and he's making serious cylinder pressure with a Ford 2.3L with 798 HP at the flywheel.  These coils were also running on an Engine Masters Challenge motor we had on the dyno last October in Chaska, MN where we managed 1.55 pound feet of torque per cubic inch which is world class naturally aspirated cylinder pressure.  Finding space to mount 8 coils in the dyno is no big deal but space under the hood would be much trickier.  Remember these pictures are of the PROTOTYPE mounting plate, the actual plate provided will be smaller and polished.

Coil specs are:

Minimum voltage output (no load, at recommended dwell): 40,000 volts
Output energy: 103 mJ
Spark duration: 2.9 ms
Primary resistance: 0.5 ohms (not directly measurable)
Primary inductance: 4.8 mH (not directly measurable)
Secondary resistance: 8,500 ohms
Secondary inductance: 22.5 H
Turns ratio: 71.1
Maximum current: 19 amps
Maximum battery voltage: 17 volts
Nominal dwell: 3.0 ms

Yes, 19 amps PER COIL at 3.0 mS dwell.  You'll want to beef up your ignition feed, running fully sequential like I am you might get by with a 20 amp fuse but a 25 is better.  If you run these in waste spark configuration you'll want a 50 amp on the ignition feed and at least 16 gauge voltage supply/main ground.  These coils have built in ignitors so can be triggered by any aftermarket ECU with 0-5V logic level ignition outputs.  They require three separate grounds, the logic level back to the ECU, an engine block ground and a battery ground.  The coils are fairly big making it difficult to engineer a reasonable mounting system on a Starquest, I made many revisions to get to this:

Posted Image

Which I think looks pretty darn sexy.  Clearly anyone running a stock TBI system need not apply, the OVCP does clear my COP systems but these form a formidable wall.  A compromise did have to be made however, notice the 710 or oil cap, the factory oil cap is much higher and wider.  I deliberately picked the blue cap with script to make it stand out in the pictures, you can certainly get it in various colors with or without script on ebay for five dollars or so.  The factory cap could be used but you'd have to clearance it to allow removal without having to take that coil off the plate OR if you're so inclined you can just unbolt and rebolt the #2 coil to add oil.  Another example of the aftermarket cap:

Posted Image

The factory cap interferes with the connector on #2 coil, this aftermarket cap sits much lower, is somewhat smaller in diameter and does not touch the coil when stationary or taking the cap on and off for service.

Video of the car running:  https://www.youtube....h?v=eVbwYdaEMAI, poor thing was rudely awakened from winter slumber and wasn't even warmed up.

And a video of the hood shutting while the car is running, no the coils don't touch the underside of the hood:  https://www.youtube....h?v=0wcJDJ5Ao0g.  Note the car cover!  It hasn't seen -40 yet but winter isn't over, it has seen -10  a couple of times and remains nice and pliable.

For your hard earned dollars you get the coil mounting plate, the coils, the harness complete with connectors for your aftermarket ECU, power and grounds, all mounting hardware, spacers, stainless steel buttonhead capscrews, MSD 8.5 mm plug wires and connectors, everything needed and complete installation instruction.  All for $525 shipped.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#2 randy

randy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!
  • Model:Other

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

nice going to be contacting you very soon.

#3 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

That is sweet!
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#4 bflann

bflann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:30 PM

Wish  u offered that setup before I bought  all of that stuff, I have the  coils stacked 2x2 where  the ignitor  was and the 8.5mm wires r a little long and not sure how that will affect performance so will u offer the mounting  plate by  itself

#5 bflann

bflann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:35 PM

I should  say mounting plate and hardware, and maybe the harness  as package  or individual  item  costs

#6 scott87star

scott87star

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:10 AM

I'll offer the mounting plate and hardware separate, sure.  I need to get some plates cut to figure out the pricing so give me a week or so.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

#7 scott87star

scott87star

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:58 AM

One more option, not wanting to leave out the guys/gals that like to run CDI, I can use the same mounting plate and hardware to run these coils:

Posted Image

They are true CDI only coils and require a box such as the MSD DIS-2 or even DIS-4 to run them.  I can assemble them and build a custom harness for whereever you want to mount the box, shoot me a PM for details and pricing.

Edited by scott87star, 30 March 2016 - 11:59 AM.

#8 IntercooledFlatty

IntercooledFlatty

Get Sum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,338 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:47 AM

outstanding... as usual
Posted Image
          MOPAR POWERED

#9 scott87star

scott87star

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

Here are the kit parts in finished form, harness included but not shown, you can see it in the previous pictures.

Posted Image

#10 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,964 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:32 PM

That is a sexy sexy sight right there. Awesome job as usual Scott.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#11 creakyjoints

creakyjoints

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:14 PM

Are the coils oem or aftermarket. I would like to pick some up.
the dude in the honda said, i thought you said your car was slow, my response was.. well you said yours was fast so i guess we both lied.. haha

#12 scott87star

scott87star

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

They are the Mercury marine coils, so OEM if you're a boater and aftermarket for any other application.  DIY sells them and I am a distributor for them.

#13 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,416 posts
  • Interests:2 streaks of fire for 60ft when I leave.

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

I like! I actually have a DIS4+ sitting in a box at home.

Edited by Funky Phil, 30 March 2016 - 05:15 PM.

10.95@122mph MoFuggin stickshift! https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U

Posted Image

#14 bubsinsc

bubsinsc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:36 PM

I will be in contact soon , just purchased intake and ecu so I will be needing this soon my friend

#15 scott87star

scott87star

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:03 PM

I've finished the CDI Coil Near Plug system now and have been putting some miles on it, works pretty flawlessly.  I've shown the coils above in this thread, they are true CDI coils (0 primary resistance) so you get the full benefit of a multi-strike CDI box.  Regular coils do work with CDI boxes, a lot of you run them, but regular coils have primary resistance so there is a charge time which in a CDI multi-strike system isn't very long so each additional spark is weaker.  Anyway, here's the system:

Posted Image

Note that the factory oil cap fits fine with this system, unlike the inductive CNP system.  Since the electrical connections are on the exhaust side instead of the intake side like the inductive CNP system I used some DEI heat tube on them to make certain they didn't somehow flop around and get exposed to the radiant heat from the manifold or turbine.  If you don't like that look there are other options.  To drive these you need a multi-channel CDI box, I'm using an AEM TwinFire that allows for fully sequential operation, it fits pretty neatly between the battery and relay area.  I bolted it to the cover plate.

Posted Image

Seems to be doing just fine plus I have access to the DIP switches and idiot light.

And running:

https://www.youtube....h?v=hdgIkQbrXZ0

Like a sewing machine!  $475 shipped complete with mounting plate, hardware, coils, plug wires and wire harness, you need to supply the CDI box.

Edited by scott87star, 20 July 2016 - 05:05 PM.

#16 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,241 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

You need an EMS for this or can the factory system be used?
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#17 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,137 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:25 PM

Amazing work Scott !

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#18 scott87star

scott87star

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

You need an EMS for this or can the factory system be used?

You need an aftermarket ECU, the factory is only capable of running a single coil.

#19 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, and Brewing Belgian Ale.

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:50 PM

Scott, do you have updated pictures of your set up?  I really want to find out what it would take to, at a bare minimum, remove and replace the old ignition/engine management systems from a moderately modified TBI car.  The goal is to make the car reliable by "Modernizing" the electronics and eliminating moving parts no matter what direction anyone goes with their build.   My idea is to make it as rock solid reliable as possible so as not to worry about old electronics failing.  The scope of my question my be too broad for this thread, thank you.
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Daily Driver)
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1  To tow the two hay burners
1998 BMW 528i 5 Speed because the Suburban gets 10 MPG

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

#20 scott87star

scott87star

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:41 AM

Straight COP on TBI:  https://www.youtube....h?v=lJMJCt2mkXs

For an intercooled car I have a plate for Chrysler Sebring coils that sit flat so no interference with the OVCP.

CNP:  https://www.youtube....h?v=eVbwYdaEMAI.

Obviously not for OVCP cars, big compressors can interfere with the COP plate setup so you can go to this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CNP, COP, waste spark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users