E36 M3: slow-roasted BBQ

Technology

Got the car done yesterday, wanted to go play a bit at night, but no one was out, so my friend called his old co-worker who has an e36 M3 and agreed to line 'em up. We did about 4 40mph frumrolls, always starting in 2nd gear, which isn't so good for me since the turbo spools up higher in the RPM range. It didn't seem to be a problem though because as soon as it came on, he was dropping back pretty quickly. He did get the jump on me nearly every time, but only once did he beat me. I couldn't get it into 3rd fast enough, there was a little grinding (I need to raise my engagement height up a little higher on the pedal), and when I finally got it, he was gone and there was a car up ahead so I threw that one.

Good times. My car shines in 3rd and 4th gear, but at this low boost level I can actually use 2nd gear!

Wow did not even know the E36 M3's were that low on power. This guy just moved in my nabor hood with one and he's a BMW master tec. He bought the car when the PO coudn't get it to run right. PO put 20K into the car. And now it's SICK in the 600HP on pump gas.

Mad GDM yo!

Lion I agree they rid nice and handle well. My buddy has one with a T76 ball bearing turbo on it. It make 530 rwhp at 17 psi it runs very well for a turbo kit a head gasket and a tune.

yup on the stock bottom end.

and it will shine in all 5 gears.

Edited by lionbull

Just to clarify I think Technology is in the 450whp range?

Really should have been no race at all unless it was 2nd gear and not a very long race :P

Andrew are you 700hp yet? :P

e36 m3 has 199whp.

But it's tuned...from the factory.

Edited by lionbull

I think 25 psi is around 400whp in my car, cause 27 was about 430. It varies though - it's around 24 or 25. Hard to watch the gauge and be flooring it on the highway. Not a lot of time, ya know? There will be no 700whp for this car.

You might infer the he was toying with him by the topic "slow roasted" but by all intents and purposes he was not.

Tech did you feel any hesitation causing the car to bow at any point?

I only wonder what would have happened if the m3 had been supercharged? The supercharged m3 has about 310whp on pump depending which kit and it make the most of that power.

Edited by lionbull

How's the torque curve on that 6262? Is it the linear type or explosive when it hits boost? I run a 35R with a 06h4 turbine in a hahn 10cm housing.2nd is nice, from 3rd on is ridiculous. Just curious on how that turbo comes into boost.

Probably not anymore. E36 M3s are pretty cheap now.

They are an excellent performance package/bargain. You don't have to do bottom end mods. I would run e85 with a bolt on or custom turbo kit with thicker head gasket, standalone, exhaust, 1000cc injectors. 500whp. End of story.

Edited by lionbull