Downpipe Open Dump

Some of you know that im going to be making a stock replacement tubular manifold soon (as well as other for guys that want bigger). Well today Jesse (our fabricator) and I got to thinking about the downpipe issue. Before we make the manifolds we were thinking to offer a downpipe is divorced and open dump. We do that now on our Evo stuff. Guys are getting great gains from them and we thought why no start with that. Im going to get some before and after dyno runs once get to making them. I would also need some core exh housings so we can weld the wastegate path shut to keep turn around time as minimal as possible

Thoughts, ideas, input, extra exh housings???

Pic of our Evo 8-9 Stuff

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/555191_410227092331241_1365958703_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/542475_405465312807419_106937695993517_1310941_637006855_n.jpg

Update 12/11/12

Getting a few rapid prototypes to get some flanges quoted and cut. One will be 3D machined to taper from the oem goofy pattern to 1.75" pipe and the other cut like oem and stepped to fit 1.75" pipe

Initial rapid prototype

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/44708_2609134244229_551455762_n.jpg

Edited by RonnieJ

you'll have to weld something into the turbine housing to make this effective. these turbine housing have a path for the gas to travel inside them. When i built my divorced downpipe for my car I had to go in and close that off (it is not like typical mitsu turbine housings)

I think you missed this above

I would also need some core exh housings so we can weld the wastegate path shut to keep turn around time as minimal as possible

Edited by RonnieJ

Sounds like an easy way to bolt on better exhaust flow for sure but having ridden in more than a couple cars with open wastegates I would have to wonder how many people would be irritated with the 12a making boost pretty much every time they leave a light! Have you considered a piece that rejoins the exhaust stream further down? That would be the best of both worlds. Of course it's not reinventing the wheel in either way. Props for wanting to provide new parts to the people who desperately want to avoid having to piece things together from other cars or old parts just to make it work. The tubular replacement has me seriously interested.

We can offer it but for the added fab time/cost it would take would drive up price. Im trying to keep costs as low as possible and still offer great products. Im ok with spending a good chunk of change for quality parts but some arent.

Oh I completely understand that there is extra time, effort and material involved and that would cost more. If it was offered as an option that you were willing to make available I think that would be the best for people who either do not possess the skills or facilities to make the piece the way they would like or would rather pay a little extra and just bolt on exactly what they wanted to accomplish without having to cut, grind and weld something that they just bought new. In my ripe old age of 24 :P I am finding myself in the group that wouldn't mind paying a little extra to save myself the hassle and have top notch performance. That, and I can't weld worth a damn lol.

I can offer the recirc'd option for you guys just trying to keep costs down as much as possible

Shouldn't be too much longer. Pulling apart my car as soon as we finish Jesses Evo

Edited by RonnieJ

I plan on going to a Precision 5858 in a DSM housing. It would be the same flange as yours so im sure we can get something done up for you that will work

Nice. Actually, even with the WG dumping into the DP, this housing moves a lot more air than a stock housing. The WG isn't technically external but it's not internal either. It's a much better housing to work with.

One issue I see with this is going to be that wouldn't each persons hotside be a different diameter? For instance, I have a s16g, so I would imagine that my hotside diameter would be totally different than the guys with a 12a, 14f, small 16g, 18g, etc. How will that be accounted for? If I'm totally wrong and misunderstanding just let me know.

Allen

This would be for a stock framed turbo. Im assuming since you have a 16G you have a DSM flange like Lance. On the flip side of things I have a 20G in a 12A housing that was bored out to fit it

Your flange look like this?

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/~treadstone/prod_imgs/img-560-0-large.jpg

Edited by RonnieJ

Actually you can get all of the sizes in the standard 12 type hotside as long as it's a 5 series. They are the standard 3 bolt. Not many people are running the DSM EVO style housing because they take a custom DP and most don't want to bother with it. So the 12a, 14b, 16g, s16g and 18g all have the same 3 bolt standard hot side housing. Some have to be ground out to fit bigger wheels but most run that standard 3 bolt out.

I am running a non dsm hot side. But what I was referring to in my previous post was that if you need to weld up the hole in the hot side and you would be using cores to speed up the turn around time... then wouldn't there be an issue as to whether or not the person has a TD-05, TD-05H, TD-06 etc? Unless you plan on machining each one to each persons setup (which I would imagine would be expensive).

I hope that i've explained myself more clearly lol sorry.

Allen