AUTOZONE UPPER RADIATOR HOSE

101PROPOSE

hello members,

i went to a local autozone to buy a upper radiator hose for my 87 starion today.

he brought out a hose and said "here you go, upper radiator hose for 89 starion"

i told him i needed one for 87 not 89. he checked his computer and said "well..my computer shows same part number for 87 and 89"

i had him check for 83-89....same thing..all same part number. his computer only had one same part number for all those years.

is it just me? has anyone tried to buy one at autozone?

i know 88-89 ones are different, arent they?

thanks,

I bought one of these a few years back and noticed the same thing. Basically the upper rad hose that they sell is sort of a universal shape that fits several different cars and you will probably need to trim it to fit.

I got one from AutoZone a while back and ended up having to use my old hose. The problem I ran across is that the pre-formed bend wasn't sharp enough to make it to the thermostat. It was a good 10* off. I tried maneuvering it and bending it to fit BUT that also constricts the hose at the bend and I wasn't kosher with that idea.

I got one from AutoZone a while back and ended up having to use my old hose. The problem I ran across is that the pre-formed bend wasn't sharp enough to make it to the thermostat. It was a good 10* off. I tried maneuvering it and bending it to fit BUT that also constricts the hose at the bend and I wasn't kosher with that idea.

i got one for an 83, and put it on my 83

their radiators however, listed for the 83's require a lot of modding/ shaving the core support to drop right in.. .They seem to be widebody radiators

As I understand it, there's two different thermostat housings. '88-'89, and '87-older. If recollection serves, the angle is different on the older part. I have noticed that on anything '87 and older, with a factory upper hose, it covers the distributor, while 88 and newer the hose curves around the distributor.

Tim

As I understand it, there's two different thermostat housings. '88-'89, and '87-older. If recollection serves, the angle is different on the older part. I have noticed that on anything '87 and older, with a factory upper hose, it covers the distributor, while 88 and newer the hose curves around the distributor.

Tim

But yet both ways still leave the turbo coolant line getting in the way of the distributor adjustment...

Ok heres the problem:

Goodyear only makes 87 under and lists it for all years.

So here is a parcial part # break down.

88-89

Napa NBH7940

Gates 21229

83-87

Napa NBH7775

Gates 21063

Goodyear 61028

There are probably some other brands too, and dont forget about Mitsu. :dancing: