Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:09 AM

View PostChad, on 08 November 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

Any change in spoolup, torque, power?  

Glad your setup is stable, that will make for more reliable and repeatable performance as you alter/upgrade other systems.  Boost spikes and creep are the pits when trying to dial things in.

Kinda hard to say chad but Iím sure itís an upgrade no matter what. If I had a dyno anywhere near me I would have tested it before and after but I will say this thing is really pulling hard for Only 10psi . Iíd say this felt far faster than my old very well setup TBI setup at 18psi. Overall very happy with everything so thanks again chad!

Posted Image

#22 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

some folks ran an extra pipe off oe 2.6 turbine housing, for wastegate discharge.... u know where that plate bolts to
often it takes a little effort to get the internals to work.... like many 10sec street DSMs, 2.3fords, z31 300ZXs, etc
Most fast street buicks retain internal gates with their 3 bolt housing. Int wg & manual boost controllers perform fine
Heck, saw one 8sec buick still on int wg :o

#23 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

oh, and that's a very nice lookin setup. Clean. Me like
hotside is begging for a 'real flowing' header and a 'real turbo' tho.... one day

#24 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

They must have much larger inter wastegates that we do then, I ported mine out as big as I could and it wasnít close to enough.

Posted Image

#25 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:36 PM

..hmmmmm
starquests been running int wg + mbc on their mitsu turbo upgrades with rock solid boost control, like forever
it's more about radiusing the entry & exit paths, than size of the puck/opening. Actuator spring range important too
probably can't find those valuable old porting pictures any longer. I save some DSM ones on my PC
divorced int wg dischrge used in extreme cases. Saw it eons ago on austarion, and I think Ronnie? here did so as well
Posted Image
Posted Image
http://www.starquest...60#entry1367333
in any event, glad u sorted it out

#26 Chad

Chad

noob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts
  • Interests:Starquest Fanatic

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

If you want to run 20+ PSI, having a poorly flowing WG, or an undersized WG is just fine.  It's only when you want a lot of control of pressure and response that you need to use a larger WG, or optimize the dump path.  There have been lots of stories of guys that ran large 20G's to 25 PSI that didn't report regulation problems, and lot of guys that had problems with boost spikes at 18 PSI.  If you think about what a WG actually does, it starts to make sense.

#27 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:29 AM

yup, and these improved design better flowing turbine wheels should put less demand on the wastegate too

#28 Chad

Chad

noob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

good point, optimizing one component of a system may not mask a lot of other problems, but it allows other system to operate more efficiently.   Since a turbo is by design an energy recycling system, anything you do to improve efficiency yields more power, and operates with more reliability.

#29 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:11 PM

All I know for sure is that with the turbo I have, TD06SL2 18G, the ported our internal wastegate could not handle it. Almost pegged my 30psi boost gauge before I could let my foot out of it. And now with the external 38mm gate I can floor it and hold 10-12 psi. Car is much much more fun when my foot doesnít have to control boost.

Drake

Posted Image

#30 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing
  • Model:Starion

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

View Postjinx, on 10 November 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

..hmmmmm
starquests been running int wg + mbc on their mitsu turbo upgrades with rock solid boost control, like forever
it's more about radiusing the entry & exit paths, than size of the puck/opening.

I agree. Rounding and smoothing the edges of the openings makes a big difference.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#31 gst4g64

gst4g64

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

Chad, did you make that downpipe too?

#32 Chad

Chad

noob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:41 AM

No, that was '87quest's handy work.  We discussed some of the design elements, but it was up to him to make it work.  I think it turned out pretty good.  A lot of guys externally dump, but '87quest wanted internal for a couple of reasons, and this is what it should look like when done right, specifically that he used flex sections properly.

#33 gst4g64

gst4g64

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:11 AM

Looks good, I agree.  I think I am wanting to go with your stock replacement manifold with an external gate; that is unless I grab a garret.

#34 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

The downpipe would've looked a little better if i had a tig welder, but i think it turned out pretty well for mig. Only thing that was tough was getting it to fit to the mk1 downpipe without getting too close to the motor mount, would've been a lot easier if i was starting with a downpipe that wasn't so tight.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users