Limits of the Stock G54B Block

Bag-O-Chips

Do you mean on a newly rebuilt engine to stock specs or do you mean a 20 year old 100k mile motor?

Most of the time you can fortify the motor when you rebuild it for just a little more money then using stock equivalent parts.

For example, arp headstuds are about $100 and reuseable, where stock head bolts are about $50 and not reuseable.

Our stock pistons are pretty good to begin with, but if you need to overbore you are looking at aftermarket. Forged are only about twie the price of other aftermarket pistons.

If you are looking for power, its good to start with best foundation you can.

I'll agree on 300 ish, as my Starion was pulling on STis with a Holset, two secondaries and a 5-knob AFC. Slipping clutch and lifted heads were common, and it ran like ish otherwise, haha. That was stock, 184k bottom end with a junkyard head off an '88.

For example, arp headstuds are about $100 and reuseable, where stock head bolts are about $50 and not reuseable.

That's not true. Stock headbolts are re-usable. I've re-used mine several times. No blown headgaskets here. Stock bolts are not torque to yield. They are stronger than most think.

You mean the head and related parts, or the bottom end, which is only the block, crank, rods, and pistons? No there has never been a proper test done with really high-performance stuff all bolted to a stock short block. I'd LOVE to do that test someday.

There has been a test of a 100k stock engine (I mean the way it rolled off the assembly line stock engine) with MPI and a S16G boosted to around 25 psi under normal conditions ;) That engine is still running strong today although I had an ignition issue and popped the HG between 2 and 3 after a couple of YEARS. Has ARP's now. Edited by jonboyb

You mean the head and related parts, or the bottom end, which is only the block, crank, rods, and pistons? No there has never been a proper test done with really high-performance stuff all bolted to a stock short block. I'd LOVE to do that test someday.

exactly what I was asking lol

^^And a helmet.

I'll let you know, mine has 125k? or so on it and I'm going for broke once I get a solid job. We'll see if I can make 350.

I would say 400hp reliable with more torque on the head bolts. I don't even know what is in my block. all i can say is it has all the good bolt on goodies. i got stock gasket btw. my arps are ready just in case Edited by lionbull

Has there been a legitimate record of how much the bottom end can hold?

No one has done it til fail....that I know of.

Artinist ran a 8X,XXXmi unopened block with B/S. He made 340whp and was turning it to 7K road racing. STOUT!

Notstock88 made 315whp with his 130,000mi stock block

Luis Degro ran a stock block in his drag flatty. 30+psi and low 10sec passes. So that should be 450+whp

i got a 133k motor chillin in the Shed... I should test this theory out.

it will either:

Over heat.

Float a valve.

Crack a head.

Lose oil pressure.

Vent the Block.

I'd really like to know what a un opened g54 can do, Kinda like the mythical 1000hp JZ blocks have been found to do 800hp all day and the occasional 1000hp stock bottom end

Edited by Bag-O-Chips

Yeah my issue is having funds to finance the project. I'm currently unemployed but working hard to find a good job and it could be a blessing in disguise. I would love to have a little more money for flexible spending. Then I could afford to blow the engine up and not really care, lol...

I can spare a motor just for this reason, I have 3 whole motors in total. I would just have to swap a few things like the cam and MPI setup to really push the 7.0:1 stock block's limits. I'm thinking one good 25+ psi pull might end a G54b with a decent sized turbo. We won't know until it happens though. I'll swap in the Stock block this week end with a fresh head gasket and head studs. And then setup a tuning date. If the stock block handles over 400 hp, we'll have a benchmark to look upon. Not many have done this test. I'll play lab rat for this one.

I can spare a motor just for this reason, I have 3 whole motors in total. I would just have to swap a few things like the cam and MPI setup to really push the 7.0:1 stock block's limits. I'm thinking one good 25+ psi pull might end a G54b with a decent sized turbo. We won't know until it happens though. I'll swap in the Stock block this week end with a fresh head gasket and head studs. And then setup a tuning date. If the stock block handles over 400 hp, we'll have a benchmark to look upon. Not many have done this test. I'll play lab rat for this one.

my old school hks boost gauge only goes to 20psi and my gate never opened. i am sure it went to at least 25psi with the needle pegged as far as it can go. the motor is not as weak as we previously thought. We are the new pioneers with this motor with MPI being common place now.

Edited by lionbull

I would love to come out for this with a camera and im sure KTD would too.

Why not just tune and dyno the motor that's in it now? Some of you guys never finish anything. Always chasing that magic setup. :lol: