Is there a way to test for a wiring short??

seanc77339

Hello fellow tristarions:

ONe of my injectors on my 87 is not receiving signal and I was wondering if there is a true way to test the wiring leading to the injector from the computer without having to completely rip the whole length of wiring out of the car?? If there is a short/rust spot, how can someone splice out the bad spot and splice in a new wire without completely messing up the conductivity??

I believe it is a short because a 9v battery will open the injector and allow gas to spray out but with injector clip connected correctly to car the injector will not open. :ph34r:

Do a continuity test from the injector pigtail to it's corresponding pin on the ECU.

You will want to see if you are getting fire at the injector, I reccomend first checking for juice. You should see 12V whenever the key is on at one side, the injector drivers in the ECU switch it off the ground.

If you have power, proceed to the continuity check.

A noid light kit is cheap, and might save you some time as well. Plug one into the injector pigtail, crank, watch for pulse. If you get a pulse, it is likely that you simply have a bad connection at the injector.

Tim

Edited by UlrichWolf

Try an electrician, or best bet an alarm system installer they used an inducer to send a signal thru the wire and an audio reciever to pin point the break in the wire on my secondary injector.

Dad

Try an electrician, or best bet an alarm system installer they used an inducer to send a signal thru the wire and an audio reciever to pin point the break in the wire on my secondary injector.

Dad

I think it is called a Fox and Hound I have seen them on E-Bay

87-89s only use the smaller nozzle injector for starting, idle and cruise until the rpms are high enough or there is boost that causes the second larger injector to open.

Is that why you think its not working?

Put your volt meter probes on the injector clip while its plugged in and the car idling now quickly open the throttle and you should see that it fires. If you open the throttle slowly it won't.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/14-13.jpg

87-89s only use the smaller nozzle injector for starting, idle and cruise until the rpms are high enough or there is boost that causes the second larger injector to open.

Is that why you think its not working?

Put your volt meter probes on the injector clip while its plugged in and the car idling now quickly open the throttle and you should see that it fires. If you open the throttle slowly it won't.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/14-13.jpg

I believe it is not working because the car hits a "hard wall" and will not accelerate (anymore) in first gear or any gear past the infamous 3K rpm mark.

Thanks for all the help so far,

SC :ph34r:

Mine did the same thing, the secondary injector wire was broken just forward of the battery, long wires to check continuity verified a break somewhere, the inducer traced to where the break was,

Dad

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The ends off ALL the sensors are that way too. Its what throws the resistance readings off, this changes the voltage the ECU sees and throws those "codes" then people run and say oh I need a MAF or I need a CTS. You need to read what the ECU sees then check the sensor and the wiring on this car sucks because of its AGE, its rotten. It was poorly wrapped up and the strands corrode from the open end and just go right up under the insulation and if you put new injector clips on a corroded wire you just wasted your time. That wire must be clean bright copper strands not black crusty rotten ones. You can stand there and try to tell people this until you are blue in the face and they won't pay any attention because its a "wiring problem" and they can't use a volt meter and get scared. I know people that won't open the hood of their car because they think the battery might explode.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, very good pooints Indiana! Even the water tight connections are suspect at this age. It pays to pull back the connector rubber insulator and check for corrosion and or burned spots there too.

• 1 month later...