Paint issues

Dartomotive

My Black Conquest has horrible paint. I can see spots in it especially the hood. It's like stained in water spots, or tree sap or something. Did Mitsuibishi just use poor black paint, or was my car parked under a sap tree in if's former life. I've tried 3 different kinds of wax, Nu finish, Turtle wax, Mcguire's, even Ice. I know it's 25 years old, but it looks bad. The roof and tail spoiler are not as bad on it. Anyone have a god idea to take the spots out of this Cheetah. All blacks like that or just mine. Edited by Dartomotive

My Black Conquest has horrible paint. I can see spots in it especially the hood. It's like stained in water spots, or tree sap or something. Did Mitsuibishi just use poor black paint, or was my car parked under a sap tree in if's former life. I've tried 3 different kinds of wax, Nu finish, Turtle wax, Mcguire's, even Ice. I know it's 25 years old, but it looks bad. The roof and tail spoiler are not as bad on it. Anyone have a god idea to take the spots out of this Cheetah. All blacks like that or just mine.

WAX AINT GONNA CUT IT----u see it moreso on the hood due to the extreme temps produced and it bakes everything--try some mild compund on a spot and see what happens----if nogo try a coarser compound-----other than that u may have some wetsanding/buffing in ur future----be wary of compounding to much especially if ur car has no clearcoat cause u can easily burn through the 25 old color----hope it helps

gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

Paint wasn't all that bad, actually; think about it... many still look excellent today. Gotta remember, the age of the paint, the differences of todays finishes/colors. I've experienced the same issues on my black Quests, gone through the above described processes... helps some, but never really corrected the problem w/o paint. Also, black looks great, but also shows nearly everything. Ya know, maybe Burton can chime in w/ help, or PM him. GL :)

Mitsubishi used single stage on solid colors and base/clear on metallic/pearls. Single stage doesn't hold up to conditions and requires constant attention because it has no clear coat to protect it. More than likely you can still buff it out and it will look very resonable.

I use 3m perfect it products at work and home.

6085 is a cutting compound that you can use will wool or a white foam pad.

6064 is a polish to remove compound swirl marks that needs to be used on a soft foam pad.(black)

6068 is a excellent finishing polish for dark colored vehicles and needs to be left on wet thus not to create scratches/swrils.

Been using these for near 4 years. Great products and doing step 1 2-3 times and step 2 2-3 times should bring your car back looking very good. If there are any inperfections use some 1500 or 2000 grit wet sandpaper and sand with your palm not your fingers to remove anything that will not buff out. Then repeat step 1 and 2.

Using the 6068 on single stage probably wont yeild any better shine. Ive never used it on single but I would assume its a waste of time.

There's some dings and scratches that need attention too, So looks like a repaint is in the future for my Quest. Spring after I saved up some.

make sure you or whoever you get to do your car to pull everything off of it. Spoilers bumpers door handles everying thing. If you want a good job that will last. Too many people I see here opt out and paint the car complete. I'm talking leaving window mouldings and bumpers on and ect. That is a no-no in my book.

Check out Frenchi's build in the resto section. Even though he did it him self he did it right and it makes all the difference in the world :)