Aftermarket Sunroof Installation, any advice?

Ben's 87

If you're buying a new roof, just buy it from a place that installs them too, that way a professional is doing the work and you will likely get a warranty.

The only way I'd reccomend anyone install their own sunroof is if they found a good used unit from a junkyard (I got a power unit for the wife's car out of the junkyard for $30). Even then, I wouldn't reccomend that kind of an install for anyone who has not done lots of custom car mods, or who is not a body repair guy.

That being said, if you DO decide to do it yourself, then make sure to get a sunroof that is small enough that you won't have to cut thru any of the structural components. My wife's was the perfect size to fit in between the roof frame of the windshield, and B-pillars, so I only had to cut the roof skin which has almost no structural worth. The most important part of one of these installs is making sure that the hole you cut is sitting square in the roof, is centered in the roof, and also is not too big of a hole. Mess up on the hole a little bit and you end up with a crooked sunroof, a leak, or worse yet, have to send the car to a body shop to have the roof panel replaced.

also make sure, if you do the cut your self, the conners have at least a 1/2 inch radius and you round over all the edges. Any thing that is sharp will lead to cracked or torn metal. The roof does carry a load but only when the body is stressed like in a roll over or the car is on its side. that is why cars with factory sunroofs a lot of stiffeners in them.

My first '86 had an aftermarket sunroof I thought was really cool.

It had retractable sun shades.

I ended up scrapping the car due to rust, but saved the sunroof.

I installed the sunroof in my '88.

Well, after a while I regretted it.

Whatever sealer I used for the initial install was not correct or I didn't scuff up the paint enough for it to bite into. so I had to re-install it with better sealer.

The internal seals were old and would leak every once in a while.

I considered buying another sun roof, but only found maybe 1 or 2 that I could buy and install myself that were large enough.

To do it again, I'd either go to a place that sells/installs them or buy a roof with a factory sunroof and graft it in.

Actually, I probably would not do it again period. I have two other vehicles with sun roofs and rarely open them or pull the shade covers back.

Now on my Vette thats a different story. I have the top down every chance I get.