• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robs1987

Robs1987

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 01:23 PM

Been doing some reading now I am a little confused with all these Mitsubishi engine... whatís the difference between the wife and narrow blocks(I think thatís what they call them) saw a couple pics of people doing a DOHC swap and wanted to look into it but thatís where I am getting confused. I have an 2.6L from 87 or 88 turbo conquest (got motor separate from car but was told it was from a 87/88 starion) is a DOHC swap a real thing on my engine or these engines? Itís seems like itís getting harder to find info on this kinda stuff. Thanks so far you guys have been awesome on helping me out
1987 Chrysler conquest nothing special yet

#2 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 02 November 2020 - 01:35 PM

Here is the breakdown

The 2.6L Starion engine is a wide block pattern. The engine code is a 4G54

The 4G63 came in the Starion in Japan, Europe, Australia. It was a 2.0L and had a 6 bolt pattern for the flywheel. Also a wide block (they used the same transmission)

The 4G63 was later revised in the 90s where the block to bell housing pattern was narrower thus the term narrow block. This revision to the engine also saw a change with the flywheel bolt pattern become 7 bolts instead of 6.

There are also 4G64 (2.4L) wideblocks out there. Usually found in old Mitsubishi trucks such as the mighty max. These also use a 6 bolt flywheel pattern and can be swapped into the quest. A 4G63 head CAN bolt onto a 4G64 block.

A 4G63 head will not bolt onto the 2.6L starion block. They are complete different engines. There were a FEW like 3 DOHC heads that were made for the 2.6L engine but they are prototypes and never messed produced. No way youd ever find one and if you did where are you gonna get parts for that.

Edited by Turbo Cary, 02 November 2020 - 01:37 PM.

#3 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 03 November 2020 - 08:01 AM

TurboCary is exactly right.  That whole wide block/narrow block conversation refers to the 4G63/64 engine.  If you decide to go the route of doing a swap like that you can research Project Zero G here: https://projectzerog.com/

There is a ton a great info on here that will really help your understanding.  You'd also need to track down a 1G Eclipse/Talon wiring harness to make that happen.  There are several around who have done this swap.  Its very viable and parts for the 4G6X are much more available.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#4 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,400 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:42 PM

i have a G63B wide block 2.0 liter.
all wide blocks (2.4 or 2.0) came in a 2 wheel drive AUTO ONLY trucks.
D50, Mighty MAX

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users