• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Robs1987

Robs1987

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:00 PM

Hello names rob. New to the forums. Not new to the starion/conquest line. But also new to the MPI world, I just bought a conquest after not owning one for about 10 years. And I want to do some work to the car. And want it to be fun to drive. I just got done building another car so I got time for this one now.. i want to run mpi in this car but donít know where to start. What should be the steps in looking for parts for this conversion. I see a lot of people talking about the MS line. But thereís a couple different versions and types.
1987 Chrysler conquest nothing special yet

#2 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:58 PM

Start with making or buying an mpi manifold. Next determine what you want to use as a cam trigger.

You'll need to source a throttle body, tps, ait, clt, map sensor, boost solenoid, and possibly an iac.

Then figure out what size injectors you need.

After that is some plumbing and wiring.

You can choose you engine management at any point.  Megasquirt, speeduino, aem, haltech, etc, etc, etc

Should get you started

#3 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:30 PM

I’d recommend starting by talking to Scott Thompson. He can help you decide on the most sensible route for your build, and he builds and tunes lots of stand alone setups. He goes by scott87star on here.

BC

Edited by BC_99, 28 October 2020 - 09:31 PM.

Steering coupler replacement U-Joints are available here...
http://www.starquest...howtopic=145280

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:15 AM

Thanks BC!  Yes, I can build you a complete system to run your MPI or TBI if you want to do it in steps.  You only need a cam trigger if you want to run sequential, if you stay with the factory distributor we use the factory pickup and run batch fire.  My systems come with the IAT and MAP sensor, you can use the OEM coolant sensor.  You do have to figure out the new fuel rail, filter in from the fuel line, FPR out to the return line, not difficult.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#5 Robs1987

Robs1987

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:03 AM

Thanks Scott what does it cost for you to build a complete system for the factory tbi ? or the MPI ? I would rather go MPI but still looking at cost vs efficiency.. also I donít mind keeping the distributor but also wouldnít mind going COP... also what mega squirts are compatible with our cars I know virtually nothing about the mega squirt computers. My plan is a 2 year build and wouldnít like to spend no more then 5-10k depends on the build I chose to go with

#6 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:55 PM

I'm sure you can build a MPI system with the ECU for less than 10k dollars. Hell even less than 5k if you take time to source parts.

Megasquirt systems are kind of tiered. The MS3 Pro being top of the line with features like anti lag, flat foot shift, traction control, knock control etc. Then as you go down in models you have less features. It really depends on what you want to have.

#7 Robs1987

Robs1987

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:42 PM

So is the mega squirt systems just a computer, And generic harness ?

#8 Lukrulia

Lukrulia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:06 PM

Plus 1 on using Scott, just received my MS2 system from him and its clean and legit. Even will all options i did not break the bank.

#9 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:25 PM

I have been running Scott's ms2 set up on my car for years now. Works great. Learning the system and tuning takes some time but that's all part of having fun.

Edited by croquest87, 29 October 2020 - 07:34 PM.

#10 Robs1987

Robs1987

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:31 PM

Ok been looking at the micro mega squirt . If I chose this plus my options I want, then Scott could build a harness? Is that what you all are saying?

Edited by Robs1987, 29 October 2020 - 08:32 PM.

#11 scott87star

scott87star

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:57 PM

I offer my own ECU, it is similar to micro squirt but it can run the G54b fully sequential ignition and injection if desired.  You may not start with that level of complexity but it can grow as your needs/wants move.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

#12 Robs1987

Robs1987

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:47 PM

Well thatís the endgame but I still have a lot to learn. But I got time so I will get there eventually

#13 Robs1987

Robs1987

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 09:51 PM

I need to know what kinda of options that are available as far as for the engine. And could the harness you can make use factory cluster ? And AC? AC is not a priority but it would be nice if one of my go fast cars as AC lol

#14 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:21 PM

So, I’ll answer what I know from my experience... in case Scott doesn’t pop back on for a day or so.

One of his most popular options is the entry level plug n play setup. You send him a factory ecu, distributor, and igniter and he builds the ms ecu in the factory case and pins it so that it plugs right back into your factory engine harness. He locks out the distributor so the ecu controls timing advance. And he does some other stuff in the igniter, but it all just plugs right back in. You do have to make some small changes to your engine harness... 2 I think. As he re-purposes some of the existing wiring from the harness for the air intake temp sensor and the map sensor. Which are both thing you’ll need to add. So, with this setup, he gets you up and running on the factory style tbi, but using common off the shelf sensors and getting rid of the very antiquated maf and other unreliable 80s engine management technology.

From there... he can start upgrading things for you... so it’s up to you how deep in you want to get... I sure he can build you a full custom harness if that’s what you want, so it depends on how mild or wild you want to get with the build.

BC

Edited by BC_99, 29 October 2020 - 10:23 PM.

#15 scott87star

scott87star

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:29 PM

The ECU has nothing to do with the instrument cluster or the A/C so no impact.

#16 The_Ginger_Stig

The_Ginger_Stig

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

Where do you find a basemap for the ecu after it's installed?

#17 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:41 PM

View PostThe_Ginger_Stig, on 30 October 2020 - 01:19 PM, said:

Where do you find a basemap for the ecu after it's installed?

Scott will have a base tune installed in the ecu for basic startup, from there its datalog and email to him, he ajusts and sends you a new tune file, you install, run, datalog, send, repeat. After a few of those... you'll be driving and down to very fine tuning.

BC

#18 The_Ginger_Stig

The_Ginger_Stig

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 08:58 PM

View PostBC_99, on 30 October 2020 - 01:41 PM, said:

Scott will have a base tune installed in the ecu for basic startup, from there its datalog and email to him, he ajusts and sends you a new tune file, you install, run, datalog, send, repeat. After a few of those... you'll be driving and down to very fine tuning.

BC

Dang I love how tight knit you guys are here.

#19 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 09:26 PM

I have his PnP setup in one of my cars. If it weren’t any good, I would say so. But as awesome as it and his services are, it’s information that is absolutely worth sharing. One of the best things you can do for one of these old cars with a g54 is to get this setup and ditch the antiquated technology for real time accurate engine management.

BC

#20 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:32 AM

View PostBC_99, on 01 November 2020 - 09:26 PM, said:

I have his PnP setup in one of my cars. If it werenít any good, I would say so. But as awesome as it and his services are, itís information that is absolutely worth sharing. One of the best things you can do for one of these old cars with a g54 is to get this setup and ditch the antiquated technology for real time accurate engine management.

BC

This 100 percent. Having the ability to actually datalog issues will make diagnostics so much easier when things go wrong. Car sputtering or misfiring? Read the data. Plus every car is different and every region is different so tuning your car to peak performance and drivability is awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users