Thanks SQC Flattys

shift1313

I have been holding onto my car for awhile. had rod knock, slapped another motor together, did some upgrades to the brakes, intercooler etc then another rod knock! I got a spare motor but just pushed everything to the side. I came in here to consider selling it since im moving but after reading 1 post there is no way im selling it:) I really just need to fire it up to get the motivation going again:)

But since I am moving ill probably offload some of the stuff I have had laying around. I think ive got caliper brakets and 5 lug hubs around for an upgrade if anyone is looking.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Sometimes I wish it was just a run of the mill car. There were so few es models that all I can do is keep it mostly stock:). I did fire the car up a little while back. I also wish I fit in the car better, but its still not going anywhere:)

• 2 weeks later...

okay in a big turn of events im actually thinking about selling the car again :( I really gave it some thought and considered a few things. 1) I have 6 motorcycles and thats what i love to do. I race supermoto and motoX. 2) i have a newborn baby and my time/priorities shifted a bit needing a new house more than ever(not a money thing but a space thing). 3) I have put maybe 1500miles on this car since 2001 and 4) if i move to a place that it wont fit inside I can't bring myself to let it sit outside and just rot away at the rate im working on it.

It's still not clear what im going to do yet but I really hate to see this car just sit and be neglected. even though it has some rust that needs attention its a pretty clean car. Right now im thinking long and hard about what to do with the car. It has a lot of sentimental value with it as well. My brother was a mitsu mechanic for 20 years and the one that worked on this car almost since it was new. He passed away in 05. I got the car from him when the original owner pretty much gave him the car after some electrical gremlins started making it unreliable. Everytime I think about it rationally i decide to sell it, then i come on here and can't bring myself to:) Is starion love always irrational:)

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/th_StarionFlatbody.jpg

okay so i came to a decision, very quick actually:) Im selling the 68 camaro and keeping the starion. After a long discussion with my nephew(who the camaro was supposed to go to eventually) we decided we are going to build a mitsubishi together rather than the camaro. Selling it will get it out of my garage and put some cash in his pocket as well as a good chunk of change towards a 2g GSX that he wants to build. Since the camaro wasnt really mine i never felt right about selling it, but now that gives me the room I need to keep the starion! I will probably still offload a bunch of my parts laying around cause I can only keep so much:) but at least the car will be around.

• 2 weeks later...
yeah, getting the itch again. Just have to finish up my racebike for this year and then ill be done building bikes for a bit and will focus on this car. Needs a motor built(have a spare), need to do a brake upgrade in the rear like i did to the front, suspension work, bodywork and paint...

• 7 months later...

Update. I did buy a house and move. I drove the car to the new house(only a mile). It started and ran fine(aside from the rod knock). With the car, bikes and all the parts its really tight in my 2 car garage :( Im at that cross road again. I love this car but realistically it will be probably 5+ years before i can really work on it again. And now that im in a smaller garage i really dont have the space to work on it.

What do you guys think? Let it sit another x amount of years just getting fired up every now and then to move oil around, or sell it to someone that will actually get it on the road and enjoy it. If it was any other car it would have been gone a long time ago, i just find it so hard to let this one go. I need a reality check:) It needs another motor built, of which i have a spare good block and rotating assembly. And it needs some rust repair and paint. Suspension bushing etc all need attention too since its been really off the road since the late 90s at this point. Mechanically its great except the rod knock.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7335/10547332276_f9265771a9_b.jpg

• Like 1

You should see my garage. yours looks huge in comparison :) Personally I would love to see you keep the car. This is basically where I was when I bought mine three years ago, I rebuilt the engine, replaced the suspension, and, I have ~2/3 of the rust repair work done now. Honestly there are days that I wish mine had still been stock when I bought it as it would have been easier to just keep it that way instead of continuing with the modifications that the previous owners had attempted.
  • Like 1

mine was bone stock when i got it but being young and eager i stripped the engine bay down:) Only thing i really regret was cutting open the airbox. I just hated the clutter in the bay, plus lots of dry vac lines and stuff that didnt work right. I am lucky enough to be the 2nd owner and the first one to mod it. I kept everything from the heat shields, rabs, smog, ac etc that i took off so it could go back to stock.

Reassemble.JPG

Stealth.JPG

well when and if you plan to rebuild the motor be sure to flush the oil cooler and lines.

any rod knock particles will be in those parts for sure. so take your time and clean all

that out along with the adapter that the oil cooler lines attach to on the oil filter housing

side of the block. if you dont you might get rod knock again.

well when and if you plan to rebuild the motor be sure to flush the oil cooler and lines.

any rod knock particles will be in those parts for sure. so take your time and clean all

that out along with the adapter that the oil cooler lines attach to on the oil filter housing

side of the block. if you dont you might get rod knock again.

yeah i did that the last time.... New crank, flushed everything, oil cooler and lines flushed with air, oil, air again. new oil pump, new crank etc. the next one will be all new parts. The first time it happened i just threw new rod bearings on and let it eat for 100miles til i could pull the motor. trust me i never want to hear the "knock knock" again:) ive got a completely separate motor for the next build if it happens.

Edited by shift1313

after you sell it, and maybe, MAYBE six months go by and you realize you NEED another one, where ya gonna find one as nice as yours?

it don't eat, let it hang around

If it was any other car it would have been gone a long time ago, i just find it so hard to let this one go. I need a reality check:)

^ there's your answer , FLATTY LOVE :wub:

• Like 1

watching the video made me miss my 87 flatty with all the tsi updates. man that was a fun car. was that cop chasing you at 56 seconds in? lol Cleen unmoded flatties can be had for a song too. We will see, I'm due for another one, been to long since iv been behind the wheel of a conquest,

haha no cop no. Just someone coming to work late on the weekend.....Good news, i moved some stuff around in my new garage and i think i can fit 4 more motorcycles and still have plenty of room to walk! :) Its just a tough thing cause i hate to see the car sit. Ill probably revive this thread every year but for now its safe under covers in the corner....My main problem is that I am a designer by trade. I love to design parts. I just dont want to hack this car up. i still think there is a lot i can do to it though. Ill make it stop and turn well before worrying about the rest of it. it will still be probably 5 years until i can get any time to work on it but thats just how it will have to be. Ill drain the tank one of these weekends. Even though the motor has a knock ill keep it so it can start and move around for now. it does make a sweet sound on the road! who needs a stereo!

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/th_secondaccel.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Starion/th_harding.jpg