1G Translator & 3" GM MAF installed: Pics & FAQ

After installing a wideband O2 setup on my Quest, I noticed that I was running terribly rich with a stock, unhacked 1G MAS. In order to fix the problem, I had several options:

-Try to hack the 1G MAS, hoping that it would run properly while idling, crusing, and at full throttle

-Install a S-AFC (Secondary air/fuel converter) that allows me to adjust my fuel settings

-Install a MAF Translator designed for a 1G DSM, but is also a plug-n-play setup for the '87-'89 Starquests

Of course, I went with the Translator setup. Not only does it allow me to adjust the fuel settings like the S-AFC, it is also a cheaper setup & extremely easy to install/tune.

Here's a picture of parts needed for the conversion:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10048/100_5877.JPG

-1G MAF Translator (paid $207 shipped via Ebay)

-3" General Motors MAF (paid $45 shipped via Ebay)

-3" universal air filter that's washable/resuable (paid $15 shipped via Ebay)

You are able to use 2 different GM MAF's with the Translator; a 3" MAF or a 3.5" MAF. I used a 3" MAF because it was easier/cheaper for me to find.

Once you have removed the OEM/1G MAS from the car, install the parts in this order:

air filter--GM MAF--stock accordian hose--turbo

Since I had an accordian hardpipe on my car, I installed the parts in this order:

air filter--GM MAF--silicone hose coupler--accordian hardpipe--silicone hose coupler--turbo

Your setup should now look like this:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10048/100_6193.JPG

Now, you're ready to install the Translator. The Translator has 2 connectors, a white wire, and a purple wire. The white wire & purple wire is only used on the 1G DSM's, so I just coiled them up & zip-tied them out of the way on my Quest. 1 connector plugs into the General Motors MAF, like this:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10048/100_6156.JPG

The other connector plugs into the car's MAS plug. I had to trim the Translator connector in order for it to fit. Here's a pic of them plugged up:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10048/100_6157.JPG

The installation is now complete, and you should have something like this:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10048/100_5884.JPG

I mounted my Translator box with velcro, so it's easily removable if needed.

Before you start the car for the 1st time with this new setup, you need to remove the Translator's top cover (4 screws) and make some "initial adjustments". The Translator instruction manual will tell you what to do. Since I was running a 3" MAF, I didn't have to make any adjustments. I started up the car, and it idled perfectly.

When I took the 1st test drive, I was running rich at mid-throttle & full throttle. I turned the car off, made my adjustments, and took another test drive. My mid-throttle was set perfectly, but full throttle was still too rich. After the 2nd adjustment, Everything was set perfectly.

WHEN YOU MAKE ADJUSTMENTS TO THE TRANSLATOR, THE CAR MUST BE TURNED OFF!

For the record, my final settings are:

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10048/translator.JPG

AUX=0

BASE=0

IDLE=0

MID-THROTTLE=1 turn counter-clockwise (5% lean)

FULL-THROTTLE=3 turns counter-clockwise (15% lean)

On my wideband, my a/f ratios are:

idle=around 13 to 1 (engine fully warm)

mid throttle=around 11.5 to 1

full throttle=around 11.5 to 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...was it really that easy?!! Great job Josh, your car should run even better now.

It took me less than an hour to do everything, including the 2 test drives & final adjustments. I spent the most time trimming the Translator plug to fit the car's MAS plug. :lol:

The Translator helped me to achieve my car's full potential. It runs stronger now under full throttle, because it's not being flooded with too much fuel. I can't wait to dyno it again. I want to go to the local dragstrip really bad, but their first Test-n-Tune night is April 1.

I want to go to the local dragstrip really bad, but their first Test-n-Tune night is April 1.

you called and check yet?....I beleive they're open(Friday) now! :D

Just let me know when! :wink:

I checked the Brainerd Dragstrip website, and their first Test-n-Tune is April 1st. You & Fausto wanna go then? If there's some interest, we could make it into a mini-meet.

You suggest that the GM MAF increases the amount of airflow that the engine can breathe in? The stock MAS/1g MAS has only a small opening, where air can be breathed in through, whereas the GM MAF has a wide open 3 inch hole. I'm going to be going this route shortly, and I am very glad to see that it worked out well for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Does it matter if I put the GM MAF between the TB and BOV, or BOV and Turbo?? What about Before or After the Intercooler? I'm a little confused on where exactly is the best place for this thing.

I <3 Josh's Car :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Can I still do this if I have an 86? You mentioned that it's plug in play for the 87-89. I know the 86's have slightly different ECUs. Would I need to rewire everything to install the GM or 1G DSM MAF?

you can use this without the wideband, but it'll be hit and miss with the tuning of it. since the wideband gives you exact a/f ratios, it would be a lot easier to use the translator.

Well, I'm actually currently looking into installing the 1g DSM MAF or GM MAF and was first wondering if this required rewiring my ECU.

Then I may try to get my SAFC II working in my car (it doesn't run well with the stock MAF right now). If unsuccessful with the SAFC, I'll want to try the fuel tuning system above.

Ultimately, I'll be getting a wide band too...no doubt about that.

Hey Josh hate to steal your thread but, here are pics of mine I went over to Jon's and we thought it would be a good idea to do things like this. I am better than all the rest I have the factory mas and the GM mas I am double MASing it. 8) :lol:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/bad2rass/IMG_1017.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/bad2rass/IMG_1016.jpg

Actually the reason why we ended up having to use the factory mas lid, it is only the lid, was because I ordered the wrong size filter I thought it was a 3 inch MAS but its actually the 3.5 in so this was the only way i could get it to work till I order the right filter. But it runs great we raised the boost to 15 PSI and at full throttle it runs about 10.5-10.9:1 Idle about 13.0:1. I think this is the best thing since sliced bread.

Kyle

Iagree with you this thing is awesome alot of guys are going to knock it because they have already purchased MPI parts. Don't get me wrong the MPI guys are way ahead as far as all out HP, but this thing is easy enough for and old guy like me to tune.Car runs way strong.

I wonder how much of a range of tuning you can get with this, guys running big turbos on non MPI cars can probably run dual secondary injectors and lean it out on the low end of the rev band.

That way you've got more fuel capacity up top with some healthy boost, if you're finding the limits of the primary/secondary setup..

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!

I just installed my MAFT (2.02) and tuned it with the new wideband. I cannot believe how much better the car runs with this set-up rather than the 1G MAS I had in there berfore....

I was running UBER-rich ALL THE TIME according to the wideband. It took me about 20 minutes to install the MAFT and get the wiring just like I wanted it (Luckily, I had already switched my plug to a 1G plug back when I put the 1G MAS on - so that quickened the job today).

Also, with the MAFT, it seems the readings on the wideband are ALOT steadier than they were with the 1G MAS.

All in all, I'd have to say that buying this Innovate Wideband / MAF Translator / 3" GM MAF was one of the best mods I've done so far.

And Thanks to Josh for an informative post with nice pic.s! That definately came in handy. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone know where i can find the wiring diagram for a stock mas air to a 1G mas air? i just got one of these translaters and a 3 inch gm mas air unit, but i still have the stock air can and mas air on my quest. need some direction on how to wire it up. :-k