Anyone need an entry level programmer?

speedyquest

Hey guys, I figured I would post on the forums and see if anyone had any leads on programming jobs. I will be graduating in a few months and have started my job search. I have a good gpa, great references, and a spiffy resume with cover letter just burning a hole in my pocket.

If you think of anything or have any contacts you would like to send my way feel free to let me know.

I appreciate the consideration

Allen

Are you moving to the Twin Cities area after graduation? If you are, I'd suggest you check out a company called Magenic. They hire a ton of people right out of college every year, and that's where I got started. The .NET market in the Twin Cities is fairly large, and if you can put those skills on your resume it shouldn't be too hard to find something. If you have some spare time to experiment I'd suggest looking into MVC4, WebAPI, Entity Framework and jQuery; these are all very hot right now.

I'd also get some server space and a domain name so you can host some of your work if you don't already have one. Employers are generally looking for programmers who enjoy the programming itself, and are not just in it to make a lot of money. If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

As a matter of fact, I do have several good leads for you. Firmware Engineer, Web Developer, Driver/Tools Developer, Test/Integration Engineer...

PM me, I can send you job descriptions and more info.

Edited by obsolete

cloud computing is big now too. Learn that if you like it, unix shell programing will help. Other super hot area being security.

One caution I will throw out to you. Be cautious of the companys that will use there helpdesk as a farming ground and send all entry level IT people there no matter what path they are going for.

Also use your schools job center... most schools have them and they do create good leads. If you have a university near you that you didn't go to, stop in, find there resource center (and they will usually have a job board) just pop in and look at it, got a few names that way when I started.