I bought the Conquest in late September from a guy also in Houston. He had the car for about a year and enjoyed it but it was time for him to sell it and I had to jump on it. I'm a young guy but I've had my eye on Starquests for a long time. I'm not exactly sure how many owners it's had but I'm at least number 5. 130k original miles and in mostly original condition aside from a respray (same color, not sure when). The A/C is even ice cold. It's been pretty well taken care of but obviously has its fair share of problems which is as to be expected for a 30 year old car.
I hope I can keep it for a long time.
This is of course intended as a weekend warrior/project car to go alongside my 2017 Golf R daily which also doubles as a weekend warrior/project car lol. 2 money pits to say the least. Anyway, on to some pictures -
On the drive home after purchase, both of my babies at once. They're polar opposites and I love that.
A recent photoshoot I did, I like to play with cameras sometimes.
I get a little spammy with the pics. Sorry not sorry.
That's how she sits now. The main goals are to get it cleaned up and driving great. Eventually do a swap if I have the means. I'm thinking 4g63, but that's a long ways away.
But first thing's first, I have a list of small stuff to fix first. It's rather lengthy. No particular order.
- Full detail (another hobby, this will be fun)
- Handbrake cable needs either adjusting or replacing
- Gas tank leaks when cornering, fuel tank is pretty beat up altogether
- The muffler is tail ugly, need to replace it
- Brakes are a little squeaky, new rotors and pads
- El-Cheapo subwoofer in the trunk doesn't work, fix or scrap it
- Rebuild turbo or replace it with a bigger one, as it gets a little smoky under load
- Fix a minor wheel bend
- Refinish wheels to factory finish, the pale gold is terrible
- Possibly replace steering wheel with a nice aftermarket one
- Figure out how to fix the steering column lock permanently
- Replace shift knob with something weighted
- Coilover kit, for the low lows
- Clean and heat wrap the underside of the hood, the cardboard is on its last legs
- Tear out the El-Cheapo alarm
- New Starion taillights (one has a hole)
- Apparently there's a hole in the floorboard (lol)
- Replace worn out pedal covers
- Clean up wiring catastrophe under the hood
- Gauge cluster has some wiring issues (tachometer loses signal when I turn on my right turn signal lol)
- Antenna is not connected
- Eventually have the seats re-upholstered
- Adjust idle and diagnose random misfire at idle
- Diagnose possible boost leak (car just dies past 4k)
I'll do my best to document everything I do to this car, big or small. It may get excessive. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Thanks for checking me out (take that any way you like) and I'll be around.
Edited by CaptainSlow, 11 February 2018 - 01:10 PM.