Suddenly, won't start - *UPDATE* solved

dadrab

Good morning, folks.

Interestingly, son #2 goes to start his truck this morning (87 Montero with 89 Starquest stock rig under the hood) and it wouldn't fire off. There's plenty of cranking power and I've already swapped in a known good coil. So, it ain't fire.

I can hear the fuel pump running and when I pulled the hose from the fuel filter to the throttle body loose, there was a mild pressure release and a little fuel dripped out. So, the fuel pump could be going south, but I'm not sure what kind of pressure that thing should build stock. Could be the filter as well, I suppose.

I tend to believe it's getting air. Checked the filter and it looks OK.

What do you all think? It ran fine yesterday as he drove it several times.

Thanks in advance, all.

Edited by dadrab

From what you described it sounds like a fuel pump or a badly clogged fuel filter. Turn the key on and off sever times. When you turn it to the run position, leave it there until you hear the fuel pump stop priming. Then turn it off and repeat. The idea is to build pressure up. Then pull that same fuel line and see if it comes out. Have a rag handy to put around the area, it should be under a lot of pressure.

I would suggest starting with a fuel filter before a fuel pump.

Shawn

Good idea. Since my initial post, I've done exactly what you recommend.

Some fuel came out (a couple of tablespoons maybe) and there was some pressure - at least enough to cause a little spurt, but not much more. I'll replace the filter and see where we go from there. It has been a while since I've done that.

Also check to make sure you dont have an injector stuck open, also did you check for spark? Could be a knock box

I haven't really been able to check for spark yet due to only having one set of hands. That's definitely on the agenda once I can find someone to help. I have a metal case knock box and wouldn't have thought it to be a problem. Still, it's worth checking. I'm off to get a new fuel filter for now and hope for the best. I'm sure it needs changing regardless.

I hope its something simple. I've actually put fuel in my bike that was so dirty it clogged the injectors and I couldn't start it. The pump was having problems. So it's possible that it happened to the fuel filter. I will say my non-oem pump was loud when it was under a great deal of pressure at idle. I had the FPR in backwards when I MPI'ed my car.

Shawn

Oddly enough, I replaced the coil first...nothing. So, I proceeded to replace the fuel filter. Begrudingly, she fired up.

So, I put the old coil back in...nothing.

I reckon it was a combination of the two. The new coil went back in and she's up and running just fine now.

Thanks very much for the answers and well-wishes guys. I surely do appreciate it.