Anyone using a bluetooth adapter with Megasquirt?

I'm thinking about picking up the following bluetooth adapter for megasquirt and I was wondering if anyone is already doing something similar?

https://www.efianalytics.com/products/class1Bluetooth.html

My idea is to use this and a laptop with a bluetooth dongle so I don't have to use any kind of serial cable.

I bought a RS232 adpt a while ago for this purpose but never got around to trying it. This will be nice to use rather than having the plug in all the time. Mine is a different one. It will also be nice for logging too. In my opinion it's well worth the $$

Shawn

I agree it will be awesome to not have to connect a serial or usb cable everytime. Also, eventually the support for mobile devices will come and perhaps someday I'll be able to use my ipad or iphone to view the megasquirt gauges or even tune.

I agree it will be awesome to not have to connect a serial or usb cable everytime. Also, eventually the support for mobile devices will come and perhaps someday I'll be able to use my ipad or iphone to view the megasquirt gauges or even tune.

Some of the new Droid tablets are doing duel boot with Win 7 so that would support Megatune or TunerStudio. This would be a really nice option. Eventually I will replace my head unit with a tablet for the media center and to tune. This is cheaper and an easier option than a car'puter.

Shawn

I did this using this link.

http://www.megamanual.com/com/bluetooth.html

I used a cheap chinese serial-->bluetooth adaptor and a Linksys usb-->bluetooth adaptor that I purchased off of of amazon

You need to jumper some pins to send power through the serial.

The range was impressive, we were able to flash flash tunes in real time to a car about 300 feet away. I was unable to drive the car far enough to loose connection.

You can even reflash firmware through this.

http://antilag.org/random/bluetooth_serial_fsae2010.jpg

The adaptor, shown above ziptied to the main roll hoop. I dont know why it isn't connected, but I can assure you this is really stable.

If anyone has any questions let me know would be happy to answer them.

• 5 months later...

I am bring this back from the dead, after forgetting about it and finding it on a google search. I finally setup my BT yesterday. It took some hacking of my RS232 to BT adapter. The main reason I wanted this was so I could use it with my android phone pr tablet. There are 2 nice programs for droids, MSDroid (www.msdroid.com)and MSlogger. Both can be downloaded from Google Play. There is also Shawdow Logger, from the developers of TunerStudio. I really like the BT option, not for the range, but because I am wireless and I can control everything from my android devices or laptop. As of not I can only get Tunerstudio to pair and not Megatune. My droids pair fine. I either will break down and purchase Tunerstudio or tinker with Megatune. I would like the "auto tune" option. Standard on Megatune, paid option on Tunerstudio.

Another nice thing I will do is purchase a double din, 7" screen, android head unit. The previous plan was a double din with a screen, head unit and install a "carputer." Now there's a cheaper and easier option thats super convenient.

I have a second BT coming soon that I will do some testing with. I am getting around 12fps to 15fps with a max baud of 9600 (MS1). The MSII is supposed to suppert 115,200 baud.

Shawn

Thanks for the update. I too was thinking about going the route of a carputer with a double din size screen, but I think the size would be too small to do any tuning or setting adjustments. I'm planning on getting a small dedicated netbook, windows tablet, or notebook, and connecting via bluetooth to the megasquirt. Anything that needs to be done would be MUCH easier on a computer IMO. I could get an appropriately sized inverter for the laptop power cord and just leave the computer in the car.

I have a 15" notebook and 7" netbook. Surprisingly what I use the most for my MS (about always) is the 7" netbook. If you have a droid device check out the apps, they are free. For me and what I want to do an need, a 7" double din would be perfect (my stereo just crapped out). With the droid apps you can datalog and save them to external storage then tune your file and send it back to your. MSLogger will actually auto email you the log file if you want. I will say there are a few features that are not accessible in MSDroid. But that doesn't matter to me, because I can jump on the laptop through bluetooth. What I really want is to have the MS gauge layout on a screen on the car and logging options. Once the car is back on the road I will use my phone or tablet for the time being. I am going to hold off on the head unit for now, but will be purchased in the future for sure.

This will give you an idea of what it looks like without downloading it.

Also it's a better options (in my opinion) than this. http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megaviewi-unassembled-kit-p-95.html Many of us have a droid or apple product already. Really the main point of this post was about my findings with a cheap class 1 bluetooth.

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the bluetooth adapter for my megasquirt 2. I'll post again once I use it a bit.

Note....There's currently NO WAY TO USE THIS WITH JUST AN IPAD OR IPHONE. The Bluetooth on these devices will not connect to the megasquirt. The video above where the guy is using an ipad is most likely using a cloud based link to a mac or pc computer running tunerstudio.

Edited by CaliConquestAlex

I just ordered the bluetooth adapter for my megasquirt 2. I'll post again once I use it a bit.

Note....There's currently NO WAY TO USE THIS WITH JUST AN IPAD OR IPHONE. The Bluetooth on these devices will not connect to the megasquirt. The video above where the guy is using an ipad is most likely using a cloud based link to a mac or pc computer running tunerstudio.

Being that I am mostly inept with this stuff I will have to wait until you guys figure this out. Thanks. I hope it goes smoothly.

• 7 months later...

I'm thinking about picking up the following bluetooth adapter for megasquirt and I was wondering if anyone is already doing something similar?

https://www.efianaly...1Bluetooth.html

My idea is to use this and a laptop with a bluetooth dongle so I don't have to use any kind of serial cable.

I picked up a galaxy tab 2 7" on sale today for $169 from bestbuy and installed MSDroid. Here's a quick video demonstrating the software. It's connected over bluetooth.

http://youtu.be/4bU3fGZuB84

Looking at that link in the first post it says:

-No modifications required to your MegaSquirt v3.0 or v3.57 board, just plug it in