2jz engine mounts and engine bay prep

clueless

Hi, everyone. I am prepping my car for a 2jz/1jz engine swap. I have read from a couple of threads that for a manual transmission, you would just need to use a bottle jack and the transmission will fit.

Currently, because of where I live and pricing, I am leaning towards the automatic 2jz gte (non vvti) engine. I have a few questions regarding this swap:

Does anyone know if the 2jz auto transmission will fit as nicely as the manual transmission on this car? (I will go with a manual 1jz instead if it doesn't)

Is anyone on this website selling pre-made engine and transmission mounts for the 1jz or 2jz to our car? (i thought i saw it once but i cant find it now)

Since I will be paying for a "friend of a friend" to do the swap for me, he said I could prep the engine bay myself and it will be cheaper for me.

I want to take this opportunity to do work on the car's body and respray the engine bay. I am not planning on keeping the old engine or transmission and would like to remove as much things as possible.

So my concern is that what would I have to keep for the engine swap to work?

Essentially what can I remove and throw out of the engine bay, and what I should keep for the swap.

My car is a 1986 flat-body black starion technica, it is an automatic trans.

I know this is a lot of questions but you don't have to answer all of it, I'd be really grateful if anyone could just answer one or two of them.

Any other suggestions and input is also welcome! I follow many swap post on here and the community is very helpful and supportive.

Thank you!

the link to the engine im buying:

http://www.jdmsource.ca/products.php?JDM-1JZGTE-Twin-Turbo&cPath=6&osCsid=g38og1ngh75ua0n4o7uj3qd1f5 (manual 1jzgte)

http://www.jdmsource.ca/products.php?jdm-toyota-2jzgte-twinturbo-toyota-engine&cPath=6&osCsid=9210t7ham0mjcafouhe0hlv8e6 (auto 2jzgte)

Can someone take a look at the two engine and give a good recommendation on which one for fitment/reliability wise?

I read on most of the build threads is that I will need a r154 transmission? or a w58? can anyone tell me why everyone are buying these? is it a fitment issue or because of hp issues?

My goal is just to have my car running again nicely. I am not looking for any increase in hp anytime soon. Also what do people mean by needing a front sump for the 2jz? (is there like a back and a front sump 2jz and only the front sump 2jz will fit?) I also read that i need a 1jz clutch fork, flywheel, and clutch for the manual 2jz but since Im going with auto 2jz trans, I could just ignore it?

I have done some more research and apparently the w58 comes stock with the 2jz. is this true for all of the 2jz no matter what car model they came from? The reasons people want r154 is that its better for tuning to higher hp, the r154 comes stock with a 1jz so this is why you would need a 1jz fly wheel and basically clutch assembly for the 2jz engine? Could any car god out there in the starquest solar system confirm this? Now my last questions is that if I was to go with the manual 1jzgte.. I would not need to buy anything else and it would fit my starion. But if I go with the auto 2jz, I need to make sure that it is a front sump 2jz engine? Does anyone know if the automatic transmission on the 2jz fit nicely? I am leaning towards the 2jz because my car is automatic. I do have a standard car also but I just want to use this car for cruising around.

Most 2jz come with auto. Yes its front sump, but not all are. Yes thats an r154 on the 1jz, no its not the right shifter housing.

vettekiller on here makes engine mounts. I suggest buying them.

1jz/r154 is the best bang for your buck if you want 5 speed.

Most 2jz come with auto. Yes its front sump, but not all are. Yes thats an r154 on the 1jz, no its not the right shifter housing.

vettekiller on here makes engine mounts. I suggest buying them.

1jz/r154 is the best bang for your buck if you want 5 speed.

thank you for the answers, do vettekiller engine mounts work for just the 2jz? or will it work for 1jz also? if i buy the 2jz, do you know if the automatic transmission fit? it seems like its smaller than the r154 on that 1jz

are you in Calgary? or just buying from there?

if your car is already an auto, you will need a pedal assembly to go manual.

i live in edmonton and i heard jdmsource is the most reliable place that is close to me, i didnt think there was anyone else with a starion near me, this is cool. Im leaning towards the 2jz more and its an auto so I wont need the pedal assembly yet. My plan is to drive this thing first, make the car run smoother and look nicer, then when I have more money, I will upgrade the 2jz to a better manual transmission. but i mean if everyone on here is reccomending the manual 1jz with the r154 instead i will go with that too. they are close in price.

The mounts fit both engines. I don't think anyone on this forum has the auto but I've seen 2 of them and they seem to fit fine.

thank you for such a quick response, you are very helpful. i am going to contact vettkiller for those engine mounts now, hopefully shipping wont be crazy for canada... i guess i would fabricate my own for the transmission. im going to be that loser with the automatic 2jz haha

I thought I had the only Starion in Alberta!

JDM Source is a good company to deal with. I bought a B16B from them a few years ago.

it says youre from BC, are you in Alberta? Possibly Edmonton? its nice knowing you're not alone :D

just wondering, will the twin turbo fit the engine bay because it seems like everyone is switching to one single big turbo..

also how much modification did everyone else have to do with there driveshaft? is it a matter of just shortening it? and having something that fits up to the 2jz auto transmission?

my car is automatic, does anyone know if my driveshaft is longer or shorter than a standard starion? or is it the same length?

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll252/Project88Starion/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-05/Meme_7953_zps1wemwpra.jpg

:P Just Kidding! There's a wealth of information on other 2J builds in this thread. I know nothing on the matter. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it says youre from BC, are you in Alberta? Possibly Edmonton? its nice knowing you're not alone :D

Well I'm actually back in BC again now. I've been moving a lot recently doing work placements for school. I was in Calgary for the last 4 months and was in Leduc last winter.

It is pretty depressing knowing there's almost no chance of seeing another Starquest on the road. Every time I see an old Celica or Daytona my heart jumps for a second haha.

I am still running stock twins on my swap. But I have a 1jz. However, they are very similar. I was able to shorten my stock drive shaft and have the correct yoke put on it. The automatic and manual trans that came in the conquest originally were not the same length. the automatics had a shorter drive shaft. My car was originally a manual so i had to cut about 3-5 inches off my drive shaft if i remember correctly. I just had a drive shaft shop do all the work.

Good luck!