Rear wheel steering II

heefner

Since I can't add a reply to the topic posted on the old site I thought I'd copy it over here.

http://www.starquestclub.com/archives/0305...opic_71109.html

So yesterday I had some time to go over all the nuts and bolts that hold my car together and I notice play in the toe in/out on the rear like what was described in the above post. I checked the large bolts in the spindle and the nuts were loose. Crazy Larry made reference to this in his 84. I tightened up the nuts and the play went away. I can remember doing this about 2 years ago with similar results. Just curious if any one else has this issue? I'm thinking this could be caused by play between the bolt and the shim but I'm not sure.

I've had this problem since 1994.

the hub and bolt wear into each other as there is no lube between these metal-on-metal pivot points. Add a little mositure and you get additional metal loss from rust.

the hole in your hub is likely ovaled out, and the pin is also likely oval too. I removed that safety bolt at the bottom of the hub, and rorated my pin 90*, that cured most of the load shift (about 75%).

I'm currently modifying a set of hubs to accept 3/4" (about 19 mm) grade 8 bolts and will be installing greese zircs into the hubs. I'll be replacing the A-arm bushings wtih something more solid (brass, aluminum, or derilin) and greese them aswell. Ultimatly I plan on usig heim joints with new custom A-arms on these so having 3/4" bolts in the hubs will fit nicely when I make that conversion.

This pivot point isn't supposed to move much during normal use, but is moves enough to wear down.

I've taken appart 7 or 8 sets of hubs over the years, I dont' think I've ever found one that didn't have atleast some ovaling. I've taken them apaprt lookign for good pins, I've never found a good set.