#1 83Starion-11

83Starion-11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:My Starion and Snowboarding
  • Model:Starion

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

I have a stock 83' which was running great for 5 years, and all of a sudden, my fuel stars to leak out of the TBI...literally coming out like a sprinkler...

I have taken apart the entire TBI and replaced the gaskets, but there seems to be a ton of pressure on top causing it to spew from the rubber seal...does anyone know why there may be pressure?  I have attached a picture, it is the rubber seal on the outside there which I know goes inside, and it is leaking very badly when turning the car over...why is there so much pressure in there to begin with?  Could I have bad injectors?

-Andrew

Attached Files

• Attached File  3213.jpg   47.98K   70 downloads

#2 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

There is supposed to be 36 psi pressure, I take it there is.  83's are unique, I have no experience, but I'd start with the o-rings on the top of the injectors.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#3 ZacMan

ZacMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Starions, Not alot else :).

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:33 AM

Your picture doesn't make it very clear as to where the fuel is leaking from, can you indicate it somehow?

If the problem occurred suddenly, I would bet it's the injectors themselves that have begun to leak, specifically where the wiring enters them. There isn't really an easy fix for this, unfortunately.

#4 83Starion-11

83Starion-11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

Ya sorry, it is right where the wires are going into the TBI for the injectors :/ I am not sure what to do from here...and I have replaced all O-rings on injectors...I read that if the injectors are plugged or bad it can cause pressure to build up and blow out the top?

#5 MikeMeyerhoff

MikeMeyerhoff

I mod therefore I am

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

There is a return line and a pressure regulator that prevents excess fuel pressure.  If your return line is clogged then yes,  fuel injectors clogged then no.
Kevlar Bands for Starquest Automatics - $50  Out of Stock  (I Pay $15 for cores)

Posted Image

Rational,  Irrational,  Beerrational.

#6 ZacMan

ZacMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:08 AM

You might need to replace more o-rings than just the ones on the injectors.

http://prozac.orconh...de/rebuild.html

I'd suggest it's either the 56mm o-ring, or the injectors themselves. I really hope it's the o-ring, as finding good early style injectors is nigh on impossible.

#7 83Starion-11

83Starion-11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

ZacMan, I was able to get the exact O-rings for the car from the list, and just put them in yesterday, and no leak anymore! The injectors look to be flowing well. Thank you!

-Andrew

#8 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

Throttle shaft seals .....look to be the same as 86-89 .. Talk to brian from LSP  has new ones......... 1buck each plus shipping ...ask brian if they will fit.....and get o -rings for gas inlet flange.....if u don't replace ....  will allways have a leak....

#9 ZacMan

ZacMan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

Awesome news! The throttle shaft seals are the same between the two types of injection mixer.

#10 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Glad to help u out.........I"ve   rebuield   3 TBs and they have all needed them ........(cooked from time and heat)

#11 chris brasher

chris brasher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:starquest

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:37 PM

i am having the same issue with my 83 starion with the ECI unit.................... where can i find a rubber oring set at? thanks please help....

#12 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:06 AM

The same place we told you in all the other threads you commented on about this same subject.
Posted Image

#13 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,126 posts
  • Interests:Serving Our Lord Jesus Christ!

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:57 PM

View PostBuGG, on 05 May 2020 - 12:06 AM, said:

The same place we told you in all the other threads you commented on about this same subject.

LoL!
'87TSi .510Roller Cam, JE Forged, TS Rings & plateau honed walls, lightened rods, race prepped crank, mains line honed, balanced, 17C, 3"EX, 2"HardPipes, AlFly, rrfpr, 88trans, 3.90's w/posi plate mods, polyBushings, STSprings, KYBStruts, Camber Plates, CustomAlternator
Traded for new set of tires for my wife's Buick: '87 TSI Gold that needs just about all steering and suspension parts replaced, injectors, a new transmission, clutch, and various electrical gremlins. New owner is a mechanic who is already driving it. I couldn't stand letting it sit any more!
'86 ESiR - OEM Roller Cam, Wiseco Forged 8:1 Pistons, Chad's equal length header, TEP T3/T4 turbo, ACT HD clutch, Fidanza Fly, custom 3" exhaust, 3 core oversized radiator, O-ringed block, AJUSA metal shim head gasket, Dawes Device boost controller
'85 Plymouth Conquest Auto , Wiseco 8:1, super light pins, shaved rods, hi-torque cam, 2.5 Exhaust
'84 Dodge Conquest Parts car
'83 Starion - Gutted stock exhaust with '87 TSi muffler, New engine with: BS Elim,forged Wisecos,balanced,Schneider274H,marnal w/oversized stainless valves
'83 Cannonball Run II Jackie Chan car, Basic ring and bearing job w/less than 6K original miles on body, steering, suspension, & rear end, Lightened stock fly, BS Elim, Walbro 255LPH FP, NEW Clearwater head with all new parts, intercooled, 14G turbo, 2750 car weight
'96 Mitsu Mirage w/rebuilt head. Gets 35+MPG.
'87 Dodge Ram50 4WD Rebuilt engine, fresh stock head, Weber carbed, BS elim. Runs great now!
'97 Buick Ultra (supercharged Park Avenue)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users